What bourbon are you drinking now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight I started with the House Pour......VWSR 12yo SB.....now followed by the Hirsch 16yo. I go for the Hirsch when I want a long, dry finishing whiskey.

Randy

New Sazerac Rye. This one makes me sad. Not near enough made to be able to enjoy this fabulous drink. In the near future, this will be all gone. Sad.

I've just popped the cork on my first one, too. Unnumbered bottle. I figure that means a production run larger than just the 1,000 numbered ones. Happy.

toast.gif

One thing you could do to conserve the Sazerac is to get a bottle of, for instance, Rittenhouse, WT Rye, or Old Overholt. Have a pour of your Sazerac, then follow up with something that can be replaced. That being said, once I found some more Saz out, I made sure to snap up a spare bottle. :P

Since I generally don't have the same thing twice in a night (or even two days in a row), my difficult-to-impossible-to-replace bottles tend to last a while.

Speaking of Old Overholt, I'm going to have to try a bottle sometimes - I'm getting the impression that, like Rittenhouse, OO offers a lot of bang for the buck.

I am woefully unprepared to comment on the different brands other than to say I have enjoyed the few my new affection have brought my way. I bought a Bottle of Old Overholt as my first Rye, and enjoyed it very much, went great with steaks!

Tonight we went over to the brother in laws for a family Christmas get together and I had my first taste of Wild Turkey Russell’s Reserve. I followed that up with a glass of Makers. Both very enjoyable.

In my brief experience my favorite is still Elijah Craig 12 year old. How sad am I, I sat in the corner for a while, trying to detect the subtleties of the Wild Turkey, more interested in that than the small talk! It was another step in the odyssey and I wanted to savor the moment!

In one of TN Bourbons post’s he used the word “yummy†and said it was a technical term…well then…that is what I will fall back on for the foreseeable future, The wild turkey was “yummyâ€â€¦I think not as strong flavored of “yummy†as the EC 12, but I did enjoy it!

Oh, poor me. I am so tired of hearing about Rittenhouse Rye. Rittenhouse Rye, wonderful whiskey, cheap as dirt, what more could you want? Come to California, the gold nuggets are so thick on the ground you'll trip on them...

I haven't seen it anywhere. Sigh.

Ed

Oh, poor me. I am so tired of hearing about Rittenhouse Rye. Rittenhouse Rye, wonderful whiskey, cheap as dirt, what more could you want? Come to California, the gold nuggets are so thick on the ground you'll trip on them...

Ed

Ain't no Rittenhouse in California.

Closest I've ever found it is in Salt Lake City, 730 miles away.

It sure is good, though. And cheap as dirt. And has an unsolved mystery surrounding it, that them's that knows ain't talking about.

Roger

I just bought a bottle of Blanton's, on sale for $39.95. Thouroughly enjoyable. I also picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve for $21.00. Gotta say I liked the Blanton's much better, even at twice the price. I didn't remember (possibly two years ago) Blanton's as that much of a favorite, but because of other posts and the fact it was on sale, I jumped at it. Funny thing, and this is where memory can play tricks on you, I remember the Woodford as being better to me than the Blanton's (yes, I am aware of the current/percieved state of Woodford). But hands down, it was Blanton's all the way.

Ed

Ain't no Rittenhouse in California.

Closest I've ever found it is in Salt Lake City, 730 miles away.

It sure is good, though. And cheap as dirt. And has an unsolved mystery surrounding it, that them's that knows ain't talking about.

Roger

There's none Downunder in Australia either frown.gif

Closest place I can go to get it is a 4 hr flight south-east to Dunedin in New Zealand banghead.gif

It's a shame, because (in the abscence of bowdown.gifORVW 13yo Rye bowdown.gif in Australia) this is my next favourite rye yum.gif

My last bottle came all the way from Chicago, I live in KY and the first time I ever saw any there was last week, but it was only the 80proof and the 100 is the one to get...though I hear that 10yo they ship to Europe is really good

I'll trade ya, You get the best cheap Rye made in KY and We get WT 12yo...deal?

This evening I'm doing a little 1-on-1-on-1 with VWFRR "G", Saz 18 05 and Old Overholt. I was about to open WT and Rit 80 to get as many distilleries as I had but realised I only have 3 matching snifters left.

A few years ago I would have put the VW ahead of the Saz but at this moment I think it's a dead heat with the OO bringing up the rear. However saying that I think the OO put on a good show against its much older rivals. Sure it's a little young and missing the caramel and vanilla of the older boys and the rye is still a little crunchy at its age, but it's still well balanced and I wanna see those Beam boys make an older version. I'm still looking for a rye around 10yo; that's the age I like my bourbon best and I think a rye at that point would be quite nice.

Where do you live in KY? How do you like living in KY? Do you know how it would be finding a house in driving distance to Erlanger? (near the Cinc. Airport). I interviewed for a job that would require me to relocate there possibly.

I opened my WT RB tonight, it again confirmed my belief that this is the best of the WT family and my personal favorite bourbon.

After 2 pours of this I decided to compare, so I opened a bottle of the RR 101 I picked up last week, (by the way, this is still in good supply in all my local stores). The RR is a little smoother than the stock Wild Turkey 101 but not a match for the Rare Breed. There is a distinct lack of the vanilla and spice notes that make the RB such a great pour.

I also have an open bottle of Kentucky Spirit so I may need to do a full side-by-side tasting of this trio over the long holiday weekend!!! Now that's what I call a great Christmas.

Tim

drink.gif

A Wild Turkey-athon is a great way to spend the evening. Personally I rate them as:

Tribute (please come back!)

Kentucky Spirit (this is the most full and deepest of the available - to me)

Rare Breed (brings the most complex characture)

RR (more barrel than the basic offering)

101 (a good every day pour)

Ken

Last night, I shared the Pappy 15 year; tonight I'll share the Pappy 20 year, and maybe take aturn down a totally different direction; OGD 114. Oh, I almost forgot (I didn't drink THAT much)I tried 2 parts GTS w/ 1 part water. I did enjoy it. 131 is a little rough.

Everything....My in-laws are staying with us. drinking.gif But, I will top it off with Pappy 20. I hope everyone enjoys a very Merry Christmas!

toast.gif

JOE

No bourbon so far this day. 3 very good rye thu. Sazerac 2005, vW old time rye and old St Nick winter rye. Hope to come back to this some day on the forum.

Mary Christmas from sweden

Leif

Christmas present!....Pure Kentucky 10 yr 107 proof in my NEW (also a present) Riedel bourbon glass...ahhhhhh....Life is good.... laugh.gif

Christmas Present(s)

2 Knob Creeks

Elijah Craig 12 and 18

Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

The 1.75 Maker's

George T Stagg

Eagle Rare SB

and a Glennfiddich 18

God Bless us Everyone

My response is not exactly, "what bourbon brand I am drinking now" but seems that other's are posting their Christmas Bourbon gifts here grin.gif...Soooooooooooo...

One of the gifts that Santa left for me?...The addition of the 1996 vintage to my complete set of EWSB's grin.gifkiss.gifgrin.gif...

post-20-14489812165857_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!