What bourbon are you drinking now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Dave,

Since we knew you would be holding that bottle of Elmer T. Lee for such a long time, we wanted to make sure it was sealed as well as possible! I do believe you went too far with the 4 step method however. Elmer prefers to go immediately to the knife, followed by a pair of pliers. Me, I just use my teeth!

Ken

Now that SEMA wrapped up, my dad and I just dropped into Olives at Bellagio for a few snacks and a drink. Behind the bar were a few goodies, but I spied the blue wax Hirsch and said, "two please". The bottle didn't quite have enough in it for two shots, so he reached under the bar and grabbed another unopened one and filled our glasses. Mmmmm. Way better than my gold foil bottle. I asked the beertender how they happened to have an unopened bottle of blue wax under the bar and his response was "we opened in 1998". Gotta love it. Anybody looking for blue wax, for $15 a shot it is yours at Bellagio.

...Anybody looking for blue wax, for $15 a shot it is yours at Bellagio.

Or free at the Gazebo some fine day when I decide to line up my blue-wax, gold-wax and gold-foil bottles.

(P.S. -- A fellow by the name of Hirsch was in the store the other day, and I mentioned the coincidence. His father has several 20yo bottles put back. I asked about obtaining one or more. Stay tuned.)

Henry McKenna Single Barrel, 10 y.o. BIB, 100 proof. Barrel #198, barreled on 3/13/92

This was one of the first bourbons I ever bought, but never tried it up to now. I think i was confused by the package with its green felt and fake tax strip. I think i was confused as to what this could possibly taste like. The name and green felt push my thoughts towards Ireland/Scotland. And I'm not a scotch fan......yet.

nose: not getting too much here, maybe because I am drinking it out of a rocks glass vs. a reidel. mainly oak and cinnamon.

taste: medium oakiness, fading into vanilla/caramel/pepper. the spicy pepper gains strength towards the finish and keeps on going......

finish: lots of peppery spice that lasts for a good while. Very enjoyable spicy finish.

Don't let the pepper scare you, the sweet flavors of the bourbon balance it quite nicely. You start with a nice sweet bourbon, then midway through the pronounced pepper taste pops up and says "ah ha I fooled you, you thought this was a typical bourbon".

I highly recommend this bourbon, especially for the holidays. The peppery spice adds a nice holidays type touch.

Last night I stopped at a bar, (more of a historical venue since it's remained virtually unchanged since the '40's)and to my surprise, they had Old Grand Dad. Well, I started there, went home had an OGD BinB, and I capped the evening with OGD 114. I had yet to try the OGD 86 proof, but, I liked it. As I was back at home sipping on the the 114, it occured to me as a Scotch drinker, these for some reason seem a logical bridge from scotch to bourbon or vice versa. To me, they are the most unique in my bunker (I'm up to 40 bottles including GTS Spring 138, all of the Van Winkles except the 23yr, and many others). I will undoubtably go get a bottle of the OGD 86 to add.

I began the night with Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 (the new version), and I'm now enjoying some ER 10/101 - I was fortunate to find some, but, alas, it was a 375 ml bottle.

I would say that the new version is well worth buying, even if the proof has been knocked down. Still, the old 101 has a bit of an edge over the new one...

Just tried a new bourbon: Rinker Select 7YO 105.

Actually, it is just Weller Antique 7 YO 107, with about 15-20% WT Rye.

Weller Antique is one of my faves, but the wheated finish was a bit thin/weak compared to say, WT RB. I attributed it to wheat vs. rye in the mashbill. So tonite I added a little WT Rye in the mix, and now it is bold, smooth, velvety all the way thru the finish.

Yeah baby!! drink.gif

I did something similar with some I.W. Harper, which I find too mild for my taste. I added a little WT Rye to it and really liked it. After reading your post I decided to add a little more Rye to the bottle to see what would happen. Haven't had any yet, but I will let you know. If it turns out nice I may do more in the future, next time measuring more carefully.

Ed

I'm drinking Wild Turkey 101 from my Glen whatever the hell its name is drinking glass from the wonderful people at the Bourbon Heritage Center. I'm chasing it with my new favorite mixed drink, Ancient Age and Coke. I've already had a nice glass of Alize and have enjoyed two Sierra Nevade Pale Ales. It has been one of those days. No slurring of the words yet though.

I'm finishing up a three-nation whisk(e)y tour. First stop, Canada, with Forty Creek Barrel Select. Very high on the quality/price ratio, even more so when it's on sale. It definitely has the rye taste to it, even though it doesn't say "rye" on the label. I'll have to try it head-to-head with Rittenhouse some time...

Then, across the Atlantic with a pour of Aberlour 10yo. One of the better values in the SMSW realm; it's a Speyside with no peat to speak of, and a fair bit of sherry-casked whisky in the mix. It's also what got me into whisk(e)y in the first place.

Now, back to Kentucky, and a nice pour of Eagle Rare 10/101. I was lucky to find some, even though it was only in the 375 ml size. This time, a bit more spiciness comes through than the previous pours from this bottle. yum.gif I'm quite torn about the "new" vs. "old" Eagle Rare - both are mighty fine... best to buy both, if you can get them.

Last night I found a bottle of Bernheims KY wheat. I liked it a lot. And although this will probably get kicked to "Other Whiskies", I highly recommend it, even at $40.00

Last night I did a three-way comparo between Bulleit, WTRR 101, and Woodford Reserve (batch 133). On that night anyway, the Bulleit was my favorite, which surprised me a little since I am very fond of Wild Turkey products. But the RR, while good, was a little more austere than the Bulleit.

I have seen many posts which hold Bulleit in high aclaim. Myself and a couple of friends polished off a bottle when we visited Owensboro Ky. for a Bluegrass Festival earlier this year. No one really liked it. Maybe we have to re-visit it. At the time, it was all we could do to get rid of it.

Joe usflag.gif

Hi Boubon Joe,

It's good to see I'm not alone! I too have read many lauditory posts about Bulliet. Of course I had to go buy some and try it ,and I was thoroughly unimpressed. I didn't find it rich or complex and the flavor profile was to me a bit harsh. I have relegated to my cooking and mixed drink applications. On the other hand, I love WT RR 101, and have over the past couple of months managed to locate, buy, and stash away about a half dozen bottles for future enjoyment! Just goes to show, palates are as different as Bourbons! Tom V

I'm not sure I've even tried Bulleit since it changed to the new, tall bottle, but I don't remember being impressed, not that I hated it, but I remember thinking that many bars had well bourbons that I preferred. I guess I need to make it a point to sit down and really spend dome time with a pour and see what I think now.

I just got home from work. The kids are at their grandparents' and the wife is not home, yet. It is very peaceful, so I decided to finally open the bottle of Rock Hill Farms I bought in Bowling Green in July. At $52 plus sales tax, it was probably the most I have ever spent on a bourbon.

It is excellent. A lot like Blanton's, but with a little extra flavor I can't put my finger on. Sort of like the grapey flavor of cognac, but not as pronounced.

It is much brighter tasting than ETL, which is darkly fruity and sweet. Again, much closer to Blanton's. I love all three.

Tim

PS - I made a mistake in an earlier post when I said I had paid $28 for my ETL. That was the price of the Henry McKenna SB 10-yr. The ETL was a little less, maybe $24.

As you're sitting in front of your computer reading this forum, what's in your glass? yum.gificon_pidu.gif

I am sipping a Four Roses Single Barrel (warehouse LW, barrel 11-5N) just now. It isn't quite as fine as the previous bottle I had (I think I may have posted its identity), but it is very fine. I think that this may be my favorite bourbon. Not surprising, since I am a rye whiskey fan, and this is 38% rye.

This one is has a bit less of the elusive lavender that the previous bottle had, which I think comes from rye, but I could smell it all evening. Well, maybe with a sip now and then. Then a bit of bitter orange, suede (this isn't the suggestion from the suede neckband, is it?), and warm spices. With a hard, dry, rye edge. Wonderful.

Depth. That's what I get more than anything else. I feel like I could fall into this aroma and never hit bottom.

The flavor and finish do not disappoint.

I am so glad that Four Roses has decided to release this wonderful bourbon, and so glad that I can get down to Kentucky now and then to get it (since there is only two fingers left in the bottle). We are leaving tomorrow morning for Cincinnati to visit my mother for Thanksgiving and Turkey Day dinner at my cousin's. I am taking a five gallon keg of homebrewed Munich Dunkel lager.

On Friday, I will take the Brett Spence bridge across the Ohio to the unofficial Kentucky Visitors Center (aka Cork 'n' Barrel) to replenish my supply of bourbon, and to pick up a bottle of the new Bernheim wheat whiskey that Tim Hue is holding for me. I love dealing with a family owned business. Just a phone call ahead and it is waiting for me.

I wonder, if I pour another, will I still have the energy to pack?

Jeff

Only one finger left now in the bottle now. smile.gif

I'm sampling one of my blends of straight whiskey. I can't recall now all the ones in here. There must be 20-30 good quality bourbons and a couple of straight ryes. There is a number of Trace whiskeys, B-F whiskeys including a little bit of Jack Daniel, some Old Charter 8 year old, some Beam Black, some Old Taylor from the 1970's and the littlest amount of Grenadine which gives it texture and a faint sweetness. There may be too some 10 year old Canadian whisky in there but very little, maybe 5-10%. The result is a soft mouthfeel, smoky bourbon flavour and background (good char taste), some faint rye tangs and a kind of rosewater/damask taste such as say ORVW 12 year old has - and all superbly integrated. It is better than Johnnie Walker Blue or Gold Label. Lovely whiskey, I know I keep saying this but I'm going to try to bring this to Gazebo in April, it is just superb. There is everything right with it and nothing wrong with it (to quote Julian Van Winkle a propros one of his excellent whiskeys).

Gary

P.S. Thanks for the nod regarding blending, Timothy, but I keep saying: this ain't rocket science guys.

Revisiting an early favorite -- a Louisville (presumably Stitzel-Weller) bottling of W.L. Weller Special Reserve. I'm down to just a covering of the bottom of a 1.75L. I'm glad I have a lot of this left.

This 7yo has a bit of a sour finish compared to the Weller 12yo, so I was inspired by Gary's post to Gillmanize a bit of Elmer T. Lee into it -- at a ratio of maybe 1 part to 8 Weller -- and it softened and sweetened the finish nicely.

Perfect combination, Tim, and I wonder if more of the ETL would make the blending even better. I'd consider 4:1 or even less Weller to Lee.

Gary

The blending sounds great never tried it, I am just finishing EWSB Vintage 1995, really enjoy the EW 10 year old presentations since 1991. Also open and waiting for a late night taste is Bookers' batch no B95 C-31 aged 8 yrs 5 mo now that is a strong night cap! On deck Hirsch 16 year old, if I buy it, it is for drinking no collector here. shocked.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm marking Prohibition Repeal Day (Dec. 5, 1933) with an 'old-and-new' pairing. The oldest American whiskey I currently have open is a Four Roses rye bottling from 1942, so distilled in the '30s (a blend of 100% straight whiskeys, 51% of which are rye, all at least 5 years old); and the newest, the 5yo Bernheim Original straight wheat whiskey.

May the future echo the years of fine whiskeys distilled and bottled between these two. toast.gif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!