What bourbon are you drinking now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hmmm...bourbon and Yahoo...Sounds like dessert lol.gif

This evening in an attempt to empty some open bottles as "Whiskey South" is about to go meet "Whiskey North" when I go home on Monday, and in anticipation of the new Saz release I'm drinking...A Sazerac. I picked up the Herbsaint that is made by Saz Co. but for some reason I couldn't find Peychaud's Bitters(in LA ,no less!), used Angostura instead, using my open bottle of WT Rye. Quite nice, I hadn't had one since last time I was at Maker's Lounge in Louisville, KY. Now that I have all the stuff in the house, I think I could drink these at least as often as Manhattens. lol.gif

...in anticipation of the new Saz release I'm drinking...A Sazerac.

Great minds think alike. smilielol.gif

I'm just finishing the very first one that I've made - I put a post in the "Other American Whiskey" section about it... for "introductory" purposes, I used Rittenhouse BIB, though.

I can see why it's so well-liked around here! drink.gif

Last night I had some SETTER. I ran into it in a store a while back, it has a picture of a dog on the label and it was cheap so I tried it. Not the greatest but not bad either, better for making Manhattans!

Having a bourbon named Setter really serves to illustrate the term "cats and DOGS" for sure. Just don't ever set it down next to an Australian bottle of Cougar.... smilielol.gif

Too late to save me any money. Two bottles on the closet floor. Oh well, something good will happpen to them.

Interesting on the Weller Antique. I'll have to approach it from that angle.

Bob

Like Ken said, drink it how you like it. That's what it's for. And don't spend any time worrying if your tastebuds aren't "getting it" on the EC. As the current BOTM thread shows, a fair proportion just don't care for it all that much.

Bob

Family Christamas party last evening. Started with Makers and a bottle of Rock Hill Farms SB appeared. The scotch drinkers among the group were impressed. I was simply grateful.

Right now as we speak I am enjoying some Old Weller Antique 7yr 107 proof. I have to say, this is delicious stuff. Definately one of my favorites. drink.gif

Last night I enjoyed, amoung other things, some Old Charter 12 90 proof. This is really good stuff. I will definately be replacing it when it goes the way of all bottles.

Ed

Last night it was WT 101, a bourbon that I can't seem to stop buying, even though I'm not sure I actually like it. The nose is thoroughly enjoyable, but the palate is a tad rough. I find myself taking tiny sips and swallowing carefully to avoid flinching. I'm not sure I'd even drink WT 101 if it didn't remind me of its upscale brothers.

Tonight I deliberately sought a bourbon that would provide lots of flavor but without the chemical attack on my mouth and throat. I picked Van Winkle Family Reserve, 18 y/o, 105.2 proof -- a special bottling for Park Ave. Liquor in NYC. I poured a niggardly 25 ml., at most. I sip this one slowly only to make it last; I know I'll never have another bottle of it.

The wood influence is very pronounced, but fruit and licorice are also present. It goes down as smooth as Arizona mountain well water, and then the finish builds for a minute or more. IIRC, this bottle cost me five times the price of WT 101 here in AZ. Is it worth it? Probably not, but I'm glad I've had the experience.

I could have easily finished the 25% remaining in this bottle. Instead I shifted to PVW 15 y/o. This one is still an enigma to me. It has very different flavors than the ORVW 15/107 it replaced in the VW line-up. It not only has more wood influence, the wood seems to be of a different sort. At first it reminds me of molasses and horehound candy. (In contrast, I've compared the ORVW 10 y/o and 15 y/o to Walnettos.) By the time I finished the second pour, the flavors seemed to be more like the ORVW I remember.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Horehound Candy, now that is something I haven't had I a long, long time. It's not like I don't have an eye out for it either.

Ed

Especially since it is around $18 here, the OC 12 is one that I, too, always replace. I have lots of different bourbons for experimenting, and the experiment was certainly successful on this one.

Bob

Horehound Candy, now that is something I haven't had I a long, long time. It's not like I don't have an eye out for it either.

I've had horehound candy exactly once, and I thought it was about the vilest thing imaginable.

I was about ten years old. I was sitting in church one Sunday morning and had a tickle in my throat, and kept coughing little, half stifled coughs. My grandmother gave me a horehound drop. I assumed it was some kind of coughdrop, but it tasted horrible. There I was, with no place to spit it. I had to finish it! tongue.gif

She professed to enjoy them, but it was sheer torture for me.

Jeff

Had a couple pours of Woodford Reserve tonight, better than the last few times I'd had it. Must be that any decent bouron is a great thing when its -5 deg. outside!!

Also the EWSB 1995 seems a little better now, maybe something that will grow on me, maybe its that I haven't had anything from the WT stable lately, they tend to have a much fuller taste and longer finish.

Tim

I started out with a nice pour of Weller Antique 7/107, and then some Sazerac 18 to finish up... Mmmmm, on both counts. yum.gif

The Saz never ceases to amaze me, the way it seems to change with each sip. I'm going to have to try a Sazerac Sazerac sometime. cool.gif

Tonight I began with a little Maker's Mark on ice. Nice, pleasant and easy-drinking. Right now I have a little Old Fitz BIB neat. It's much more forward and complex, but the family resemblance is definitely there.

Just finished off the big ole bottle of EC 12. The 1.75 of EC12 has got to be the goofiest looking bottle out there. I guess Goofy is appropriate, as we leave for a weekend at Disney World tomorrow. Still havene't unpacked from the cruise and we are off to see the mouse. When I get back next week, I'll comment on the Rowens Creek, Pure Kentucky XO and wLw that we drank on the cruise ship last week.

Later

Last night was my first drink in a month since I started my new 'get healthy for holidays' thing.

I thoroughly enjoyed a shot of Bulleit on ice, followed by a 2nd shot of Bulleit with coke...

Right now EC18. I have alternated between this and ETL. To me these are equal in quality however different in their taste presentation. For the future I will choose ETL since it is cheaper here in NC unless the EC happens to be on sale.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!