Any fans of Irish whiskey?

Ghoste
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just wondering how much interest some of you fine folks have in the Emerald Isle offerings?

I like to keep a few around for a change every now and again. Currently, my favourite non bourbon pour is Bushmills black label.

Black Bush is a very good choice indeed. drink.gif It's almost too easy-drinking. falling.gif

The others I've had, and have also liked quite well have been Redbreast 12yo, and Connemara (in both the standard and cask-strength offerings).

Redbreast is the only example I know of the traditional Irish pot-still whiskey (mash of malted barley and unmalted grains, distilled entirely in pot stills) that is (a) currently in production and (B) affordable. It's one of Irish Distillers' products.

Connemara, from Cooley, is a pot-stilled single malt (100% malted barley), and the malt is peated. If you like peated Scotches, give it a try.

Another interesting tidbit: Bushmills has been spun off from the Irish Distillers Group - it's part of Diageo now, with Pernod Ricard holding on to IDG and the Midleton distillery. Cooley is still the only true independent in Ireland, though - that after a long period where IDG had a complete monopoly on Irish whiskey production.

Redbreast is the only example I know of the traditional Irish pot-still whiskey

There is also Green Spot. Basically, this is a younger version of Redbreast (no age statement, though.) with less sherry input which gives the whiskey opportunity to display some herbal/vegetable characteristics.

At some stage, the brand was made exclusively for a liquor store in Dublin but in recent years it has cropped up in a lot of places, including Swedish state controlled liquor shops, indicating perhaps a change.

There was also, produced in conjunction with the Millenium celebrations, a Jameson 15yo. Becoming extremely scarce (not to mention expensive) it reminded me a lot of Redbreast, only difference being more traces of refined oak.

I have some of the Redbreast around here too. That's been my second choice of late. I had some Tullamore Dew a while back that I liked quite well too but haven't been able to find it again.

I'm going to have to try the older Jameson's if I can find some. We have some regular Jameson's here and my wife prefers that.

Yeah, same here. We had an Irish tasting last St Patrick's day. Jameson, Red Breast, Bushmill's 16yo...

The concensous was for the Bushmill's 16 yo. Very tasty when you want to go that way (which I haven't in some time)

Ken

My experience has been mostly in the Bushmills. I have std Bush, Bushmill's Millenium Malt and Redbreast behind my bar but have had the Black Bush and 10 yr Single Malt Bush and have enjoyed them all. I have been rather stingy on the MM which is very good but I really do like the Redbreast from time to time as a change from bourbon.

I like that idea of an Irish whiskey tasting in March. I may have to collect a couple more samples over the winter and do that.

Pure pot still Irish, for me, is the greatest of all whisk(e)y. They have made it a little lighter over the last 20 years, though, and I don't think it's as good as it once was.

Remaining whiskey from old, not closed distilleries like the Jameson Bow Street, Powers John's Lane, Tullamore and Midleton show just how good this kind of whiskey can be. All of these labels are still being produced, but from the new Midleton Distillery.

Anyway, in my opinion, some great Irish whiskeys are:

Redbreast

Green Spot

Jameson 12

Powers 12

Powers Gold Label

Jameson 18

Jameson Gold

Bushmills Millennium

Bushmills Select Casks - Carribean Rum

Hi Hedmans,

There is also Green Spot. Basically, this is a younger version of Redbreast (no age statement, though.) with less sherry input which gives the whiskey opportunity to display some herbal/vegetable characteristics.

I have wanted to try the Red Breast for a while now. It is a little bit expensive, I don't remember the price for a bottle when I have seen it but it was somewhere in the range of two good bottles of bourbon and the bourbon has always won out. So Far. I have seen it in one bar, but they wanted 12 bucks for a shot and I think that place gives stingy shots. Not that they short you, but 30, 31 ml isn't much whiskey when you are paying 12 bucks. I may ask my favorite bar to stock some. They will probably do it and they will give me more than my money's worth.

I didn't know that Green Spot was young Red Breast. I occasionally see it. Next time I will check the price and maybe buy a bottle.

Ed

That seems kind of excessive for Redbreast, I believe I paid abound $40 for my last bottle in KY. It's quite nice, with a very lively palate, but I don't think $12 a shot is quite worth it.

Hi Barturtle,

The price you paid for a bottle is close to what I saw at the liquior store here. They always say, "Try it in a bar before you shell out for a bottle." That rarely works for me. In Japan when I see something like Red Breast in a bar I think, "Hmm. Two or Three shots and I could buy the bottle. I had better buy the bottle." That is not true of every bar here but is true of most of them that stock things you can't find in the supermarket.

Ed

I have wanted to try the Red Breast for a while now. It is a little bit expensive, I don't remember the price for a bottle when I have seen it but it was somewhere in the range of two good bottles of bourbon

In Sweden Redbreast goes for approximately the same price as EC 12, i.e. a good price.

Be sure to try Green Spot if you can find it. If forced to choose I would opt for Redbreast but GS offers an interesting variation on the theme.

Thanks,

I have heard from friends in Canada about the high prices whiskey drinkers have to put up with. How is the selection where you are?

Ed

Not that good. Not for bourbon anyway. Fortunately, I only live about 45 minutes from Detroit so I get over there frequently. I try and pick up something whenever I can. I wish we had some real selection though so I could partake in some of the BOTM selections.

Interesting thread. I had the opportunity to ask a true Irishman The Question:

Bushmills, or Jameson?

Bush was his answer, and I concur, but I have been known to swig Jameson's on occaision.

Try Tullamore Dew 12yr,Jamesons 12yr. or powers blended Irish.All are excellent whiskies. tullamore 12 is my favorite.

Yes, the Tullamore 12 yr old is much much better than the standard Tullamore.

There's also a new Redbreast 15 yr old out bottled at 46 abv and at 46%.

The standard Redbreast is bottled at 12 yrs and at 40% abv. There's a new unchillfiltered one released that's 15 years and bottled at 46%. I have not tried it, but am greatly looking forward to having some.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.