Any fans of Irish whiskey?

Ghoste
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think Jameson Gold is usually available at the Duty Free. There's a big World of Whisky in one of the London airports, so they should have a good range.

The Shannon Duty Free had a good selection of Irish. I would recommend Jameson Gold or Bushmills 1608 (I didn't see this in Shannon). They also had some Bushmills "Select Cask".

Ok, one last question. Is the Jameson Gold not available in the US? And if I ask him to look for this bottle how much $$ am I talking if you know?

Thanks guys. I figure as long as the offer is out there, I should try and take advantage of it!

It was originally made for the duty free market, so it's not supposed to be available elsewhere. I think it will cost about 40 euro, which would be about $47.

Jameson Gold was available in the US for a very short time. I know where there is a bottle for $75 if you want it.

PM me if you want me to pick it up.

I was wondering about Bushmills Single Malt 16 Yearold? It goes for $75 here in WA. I dont spend that much very often...but once in a while I might be willing to if the money offers a unique flavor experience.

I really have enjoyed the Irish's I have had so far. I am still trying to pick up a bottle of Connemara becuase it sounds quite a bit different from the bottles I have.

Anyone have an opinion on the Bushmills?

I have experience with the other Bushmills. I like Blackbush better than the 10 YO Single Malt. I don't care for the 'white' bush at all. I think I had the 16 in a bar once or twice and I believe it was nice. I've never owned a bottle though.

I recently acquired a bottle of Bushmills 1608, which was their 12yr. old duty free only blend. Why they quit making it I'll never know. It is fabulous whiskey. I like it even better than the 16yr. old. I have never been an overly big Bushmills fan but the 1608 is plum stuff!

The 16yo Bushmills is one of the smoothest and softest whiskeys that you´re ever likely to try. It makes Auchentoschan and Glengoyne appear like Stagg! (Well, almost.)

What I enjoy most about Bushmills is how they contribute to the variety of the whisk(e)y world. Despite being single malt, it is easily distinguished from its Scotch counterparts.

If I'm not mistaken, the 16yr Bushmills is Port-finished, so it's probably going to have a sweet taste. I had a shot once a long time ago. Vaguely remembered that it tasted good.

Keep in mind also that Bushmills is a pretty quiet dram, so a port-finished varient will probably have a heavy port flavour...

The 16yo I sampled at Chicago Whiskeyfest was described as triple finished if my whiskey-clouded memory of that wonderful night hasn't totally failed me. I found it sublime and one of my favorites of the entire trip.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this bottle yet? I stopped into the liquor store today to pick up a bottle of Rock Hill Farms. Every time I have been in to buy the RHF something else has come home instead. I have been on a little bit of an Irish kick and saw this...but I stuck to my guns and bought the RHF.

My next Irish I was going to work for was the Bushmills 21...but most of our stores do not have it.

I have only had 2 Irish Whisky's.

Tyrconnell Single Malt which I loved, and Jameson which I thought was rather bland after the Tyrconnell.

Tyrconnell Single Malt which I loved, and Jameson which I thought was rather bland after the Tyrconnell.

Interestingly, Tyrconnell is also a Cooley product.

So far, the only Cooley whiskeys I've had have been Connemara bottlings, but I've been quite impressed by them. I'd only recommend Connemara if you like peated single malts, though.

I think Jameson is designed not to offend anyone, so it's quite mellow and not too exciting.

Tyrconnell is one of the softer malts available, but I think it's very nice, and getting better all the time as the stock they use ages.

If you're talking about the regular NAS Jameson, then I'd agree! But the Jameson 12 is a rather good "bang for your buck" whisky, and Jameson 18 is silky class IMHO.

Tyrconnell has a more forceful personality than Jameson's IMO - different flavour profile!

• 4 weeks later...
I recently acquired a bottle of Bushmills 1608, which was their 12yr. old duty free only blend. Why they quit making it I'll never know. It is fabulous whiskey. I like it even better than the 16yr. old. I have never been an overly big Bushmills fan but the 1608 is plum stuff!

I don't think it is discontinued, I've seen bottles of it in duty free a few months back. I do have to agree that it is a great dram, alot like the blackbush but with more potstill in it. Another great irish whiskey along the same lines is Jameson's Crested Ten. People call it an old man's whiskey but if you like pot still then you will like this. I like it better that Jameson's gold and the 18 and it is cheaper if you can find it.

Len

That bottle is the standard Bushmills white label. It is in the range of about 6 yrs. old and I have found it to be rather dull. In comparison, the 1608 is miles better!

Thomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.