Any fans of Irish whiskey?

Ghoste
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There's great golf around there too, if you like golf... Lahinch is the best course on the island, although many would disagree with me.

I love the Powers 12, but I think it varies from bottle to bottle.

I've played Lehinch before and it is great. This trip has been Port Stewart, Royal Portrush, Royal County Down, Old Head and Waterville. I'd say County Down and Portrush are Lehinch's equals....and Old Head has them all beat for scenic beauty if you get a good sunny day. Just my opinions.

Randy

Well you've treated yourself there. Most of the people say that Portrush and Royal County Down are the best courses in the country - I haven't played them yet... I loved Old Head - we were nearly blown off the course.

I am a member of another great links - Carne in Belmullet. It wouldn't be everyones cup of tea, but some people think it's the greatest links experience on offer. Largest dunes in the country. Enniscrone is another great one.

• 2 months later...

There are three new single cask Bushmills now available at the Celtic

Whiskey Shop in Dublin - a sherry cask, a bourbon cask and a rum cask.

They're all bottled at cask strength and are non chill filtered. The

sherry and the bourbon casks were distilled in 1993. The casks were

hand-picked by the guys in the shop, which is rate for Bushmills.

I've tasted the sherry cask and it's very very nice. The best news of

all is that they're very good value for a single cask Irish whiskey -

79.99 euro online. Might even be better value for those outside the

EU, but I don't know how these things work. Dollar is pretty weak at the moment, though.

In November I am going to Ireland to do a whiskey tour. I am doing the public tours of Bushmills and Midleton and I have a private tour of Cooley lined up. I really want to find the Redbreast 15 year old to bring back. I imagine the Celtic Whiskey Shop in Dublin will have it.

Scott

My favorite Irish whiskey is Connemara. I love the peaty smell and taste a lot. I'm looking forward to trying the Powers, Redbreast and Green Spot when I finally get myself over to the Emerald Isle. Thought it'd happen this year, but now it looks like sometime next year. Can't wait!

Bob

In November I am going to Ireland to do a whiskey tour. I am doing the public tours of Bushmills and Midleton and I have a private tour of Cooley lined up. I really want to find the Redbreast 15 year old to bring back. I imagine the Celtic Whiskey Shop in Dublin will have it.

Scott

Yes, the Celtic Whiskey Shop will have it. Nobody knows for sure if Irish Distillers are going to keep the Redbreast 15 going, so hopefully it will still be there.

I will move my stepping out thread follow up here since it concerns Irish whiskey.

I stopped by the liquor store to check on the Bourbon supply and did not find anything I don't already have so I moved on to the Irish whiskey section. In my city Irish whiskey must sell better than Bourbon because they had a very nice selection. I picked up a bottle of Redbreast 12 and am giving it a taste.

I enjoy it very much. Very fruity nose. Very creamy with a touch of honey.

This is a very nice addition to the shelf...maybe too smooth as I move on to pour #2.

I think I will make the John Power and Son my next purchase. It seems to get some nice comments and is nicely priced.

Yes, the Celtic Whiskey Shop will have it. Nobody knows for sure if Irish Distillers are going to keep the Redbreast 15 going, so hopefully it will still be there.

I'll be in Ireland in September. Are there any shops or purchases I MUST make?

I have most 'standard' Irish Whiskeys and the Distillery versions available at Bushmills, Dublin, and Midleton.

Please let me know.

BTW, I'm doing a taste test of Jameson Gold and Jameson 18 (third edition). I think I like the Gold better. The Gold has a sweeter (maple syrup?) nose and it seems that the 18 has a small trace of an off note in the nose and taste, could it be the sherry?

That being said they both are very smooth and pleasant with a good bit of Pot Still flavor. If I had my choice I'd bring back the Gold but the 18 is a fine whiskey.

I was able to pick up a bottle of the Powers Gold Label Irish Whiskey today. I found it a very nice pour...even more so being half the price of the Redbreast 12 I picked up. It had a very distinctive nose that I just could not put my finger on. It almost reminded me of Juicy Fruit gum...I know that's nuts, but that's what it brought to mind. I enjoyed the flavor. I found the Redbreast to be deeper gold in color, slightly less fruity to nose, and a deeper in flavor.

Very happy with both bottles though I still enjoy the Bourbon flavor more.

I started out with Irish, moved to Scotch, and now I'm into American Straight Whiskies. Where I still prefer Irish for my shot whiskey I must say I like Scotch and American better. There is plenty of good Irish out there but I don't think it holds up to the other two.

I started with scotch and moved the other way, toward Irish especially. Unfortunately, there isn't enough variety in Irish, as it all comes from just three distilleries. That said, pure pot still Irish is the greatest whisk(e)y of them all, but that's just my opinion. It's also very hard to beat an Irish blend with a high pot still content.

• 2 weeks later...

I have three bottles of Irish Whisky; Redbreast 12, Black Bush and Powers Gold Label. I do notice differences in the bottles, but for me they are subtle. It is probably that my taste buds are not sensitive enough.

I have found in Bourbon's a greater flavor difference in the flavor profiles. I realize that's probably because I have more Bourbon, but was wondering?

Should I be noticing a greater difference in these three bottles?

For my next bottle, here in WA. I have a few choices. Connemara Peated Single Malt, Knappogue Castle 1994, Tyrconnel Single Malt, Jameson 12 or Tullamore Dew. We have Bushmills Single Malt 16 but that's a little out of my price range for the time being. Can someone offer a recommendation for my next bottle? Will I find that Irish Whisky's are just more similar than Bourbons?

I had some Jameson at a bar but I do not recall which bottle it had, and I honestly can't recall how it's flavor compared to the three I now have.

I have three bottles of Irish Whisky; Redbreast 12, Black Bush and Powers Gold Label. I do notice differences in the bottles, but for me they are subtle. It is probably that my taste buds are not sensitive enough.

I have found in Bourbon's a greater flavor difference in the flavor profiles. I realize that's probably because I have more Bourbon, but was wondering?

Should I be noticing a greater difference in these three bottles?

I think you should. Admittedly, it was some time since I had a shot of Black Bush but it should be very different from the other two.

Redbreast and Powers, althoug sharing some similar traits, I also find to be quite apart. The sherry influence is much more obvious in RB while Power´s, at least to these tastebuds, is much more, er, powerful.

They say Powers is distillate driven, in that it's the proportion of malted and unmalted barley and the cut from the stills that gives it its character. They use older wood to mature it. It is spicier than the Jameson and the Redbreast.

Blackbush should be a lot different, although I still find it has some pot still character, even though they don't use unmalted barley in the mash. It's a straight blend between two whiskeys - 20 percent grain and 80 malt.

I sat down with a neighbor and we did a little tasting of Black Bush, Redbreast 12, Powers Gold Label and Tullamore Dew.

Being absolute novices at tasting the first thing we did was pick which bottle we most wanted to drink from...our first impression and a nod to the hard working marketing folks. Turns out we both picked Black Bush. Nice tall squared off bottle that fits well in the hand.

After my wife poured them into glasses for us, we gave them a good look. We both ended up picking Redbreast, finding the dark golden color very appealing.

The nose: I ended up liking the Powers, my buddy the Black Bush. I found the Powers sweet and fruity. My buddy enjoyed the spice/woody smell of the Redbreast.

Taste: We both ended up with the Redbreast. Peppery, smoky.

Finish: We both ended up with the Redbreast here as well. The flavor really stayed on the tongue well.

So it is Redbreast 12 in our little Irish Whiskey show down. Though we enjoyed all the pours.

I can find less similarity when I tried them this way as my memory led me to believe.

I will save our note pads, and maybe in a month we can revisit and see if we can match our notes with the bottles...if we pick up the same smells and flavors.

So now I have a decision to make. If they have the Rock Hill Farms Bourbon in stock thats my next bottle. If not...can you Irish fans recommend either the Connemara Peated Single Malt the Knappogue Castle 1994, or the Jameson 12.

Thanks.

:toast:

Knappogue Castle is ok, but not great, in my opinion.

I think Jameson 12 is super, and usually good value. I love it.

Connemara is good too, if you like peated single malts. The Cask Strength is better, I think.

I am not sure about peated single malts...I have been a beer drinker most of my life and have discovered a taste for Bourbon a relatively short time ago. Now Irish Whiskey has jumped into the picture as well. My experience is quite limited. But it sounds like that might be the bottle to try if I was trying to expand my "flavor" experience.

Thanks for the info.

.... If not...can you Irish fans recommend either the Connemara Peated Single Malt the Knappogue Castle 1994, or the Jameson 12.

Thanks.

:toast:

They're all completely different:

KC 1994 had a typical Bushmills nose and taste, but is cleaner and fresher than the 10yo or 16yo. If you don't like Bushmills avoid this.

Connemara tastes exactly like a peated Scotch, which is not too surprising as it is made exactly the same way. Lovely whiskey, but if you don't like peat forget it.

Jameson 12yo is a wonderfully complex blend, with a strong poststill influence. If you like Redbreast you should like this too. It is the only one, which 'tastes uniquely Irish' - as it contains potstill.

Thanks for the info. My only "Peat" expierience is with McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt Whiskey. I tried it early on, just after discovering my enjoyment of Bourbon. I did not enjoy the smell or the flavor much. One of my friends said it is like a "peaty scotch". I think I will stay away from that one for now, thanks for the info.

Not had the pleasure of McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt Whiskey. I've heard it is a little young and feinty. I'd think the Connemara is a lot cleaner and with respect to McCarthy's, probably better made (there I go judging a whiskey I've not sampled !)

If you're tempted by Connemara, try some Ardbeg, Lagavulin or Laphroaig in a bar. If you can cope with them, the Connemara will be easy. Ardbeg is probably closest (not that close though), but much peatier.

If you do not like the smell of McCarthy's at all then you most likely will not like Connemara or peated SMS.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a buddy who is going to England in a few weeks. There is a chance he will have room in a bag to bring home a bottle of something for me, and I was thinking maybe there is a good Irish Whiskey that I can't find here in the States? Anyone know what the Duty Free might have as he is leaving?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.