Jump to content

Bourbon in the Movies


Isoflex
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 3/10/2021 at 12:34 AM, HoustonNit said:

My wife has been watching Jessica Jones on Netflix, while I mostly sit on. My couch and read my book on the early parts of the Pacific Theater in WWII.  It’s one of those Marvel comics type shows where it’s supposed to be kind of gritty with an anti hero type superhero.  Jessica is a real lush that likes her bourbon.  I’ve seen bottles of WT101, OGD, MM, Ezra Brooks and who knows what else.  At one point she goes to a liquor store and asks for cheap bourbon and I’m pretty sure it’s EW black label.  

I’m a fan of the series and posted in this thread when it first was aired. She eventually starts dating a bartender of a shitty bar with the best bourbon selection. PVW, BTAC, etc. There’s a lot of whiskey in the show and when she buys at a convenience store it’s usually bottom shelf in keeping with her character. Second season looks like it was sponsored by Tin Cup as there’s a shit ton of it prominently displayed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 3/10/2021 at 4:22 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m a WWII history buff too. My uncle was in the European campaign, but never wanted to talk about his experiences. My father was in the Pacific, but was transferred back stateside just before Pearl Harbor. Long and interesting story there. 
 

Biba! Joe


My parents immigrated to the US but both their lives were heavily impacted by WWII.  My mother who's Polish her father was in the Polish Army and if you know your history that didn't last very long.  He was actually part of the Army on eastern part of the country that was preparing for the Nazis and probably would've put up a better fight than the French and British did in Dunkirk. They however were surprised attacked by an unlikely Hiter ally in Stalin.  Completely massacred, my grandfather was the only one from his company to live and escape.  He somehow made it to North Africa and joined the French Foreign legion.  He was however captured and ended up as a POW and in Germany at the end of the war.  He also happened to be the only one from his family to survive the war.  My grandmother from my mothers side was put in a labor camp in Germany while her parents were sent to a concentration camp.  My grandparents met at a displaced persons camp in Germany after the war where they married and my mother was born in 1946.  Afterwards they lived in a coal mining town in Belgium before immigrating to the US several years later.  They had reopened Ellis Island and my mother was one of the last people to pass through Ellis Island as a stateless war refugee with her family in 1952.  Heck for my father his first memory as a child was seeing American bombers flying overhead and him and his mother trying to find cover.  

Edited by HoustonNit
  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys ever see a movie from the late 70s, Blue Collar?  Has Harvey Keitel and Richard Pryor.

 

I see you WT101 8 year.

 

 

D7F57723-DBE1-4664-AC7C-DFFFA55B47A8.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

You guys ever see a movie from the late 70s, Blue Collar?  Has Harvey Keitel and Richard Pryor.

 

I see you WT101 8 year.

 

 

D7F57723-DBE1-4664-AC7C-DFFFA55B47A8.jpeg

What's that bottle in the foreground?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, flahute said:

What's that bottle in the foreground?

 

I think Grand Mariner but not 100%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I think Grand Mariner but not 100%.

I'm 98% sure that you are correct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Kepler said:

Wild Turkey - if it was good enough for Evel Knievel it's good enough for me.  Interesting read

https://www.hagerty.com/media/people/evel-empire-knievel-stranglehold-seventies/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Saturday_RoadTrip

 

Fun read.  Thanks for posting that.  Evel Knievel spawned a whole generation of kids like me who spent an inordinate amount of their time looking for bricks and a decent piece of plywood to make a ramp for their bikes.  
BTW, his quote on the Dick Cavet show about the Sands, and then his response to Frank Gifford after the failed London jump are priceless!!  😂

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Wild Turkey - if it was good enough for Evel Knievel it's good enough for me.  Interesting read

https://www.hagerty.com/media/people/evel-empire-knievel-stranglehold-seventies/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Saturday_RoadTrip

 

 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Fun read.  Thanks for posting that.  Evel Knievel spawned a whole generation of kids like me who spent an inordinate amount of their time looking for bricks and a decent piece of plywood to make a ramp for their bikes.  
BTW, his quote on the Dick Cavet show about the Sands, and then his response to Frank Gifford after the failed London jump are priceless!!  😂

What a great read. When I was a kid I had that Stunt Cycle as well a miniature of the X-2 rocket.

Wild Turkey it is in his honor.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, flahute said:

 

What a great read. When I was a kid I had that Stunt Cycle as well a miniature of the X-2 rocket.

Wild Turkey it is in his honor.

Me too!  My brother and I also had bicycles that were in his paint scheme. Great memories.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was a great read and brought back a lot of memories. I loved my little wind up motor cycle toy of his. Remember stacking Encyclopedia Britannica's and using a monopoly board as the ramp and launching him down the hallway at the house. 

  • I like it 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very late to Ray Donovan but I know it's been mentioned previously. In the first or second episode he has a bottle of Blanton's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Is this Justified?  No idea but saw this clip on YT and I enjoy dive bars where you can get four finger pours of ETL.  Some terrible southern accents, it was a fun clip.

 

 

 

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Is this Justified?  No idea but saw this clip on YT and I enjoy dive bars where you can get four finger pours of ETL.  Some terrible southern accents, it was a fun clip.

 

 

 

Yes it is "Justified."  Great show, accents aside. 

 

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Yes it is "Justified."  Great show, accents aside. 

 

Cheers

Depends on the fella.  Walt Coggins is  the real deal. He grew up down here in Lithia Springs.  I heard a great NPR interview with him a couple of years back about how much work he had to go through with a vocal coach to lose the accent.  He was getting typecast as hayseed hicks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you want to here truly awful southern accents, watch a couple episodes of True Blood on HBO. 

Edited by BigRich
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2021 at 8:32 AM, Marekv8 said:

The last of my EK artifacts pairs well with a round of drinks…

 

IMG_5963.thumb.jpg.48dc16848fc1b7cc66643df4727223e8.jpg

Awesome, so you have a pinball collection?  I remember that machine, also the two on either side. Cool!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2021 at 7:25 AM, BigRich said:

Depends on the fella.  Walt Coggins is  the real deal. He grew up down here in Lithia Springs.  I heard a great NPR interview with him a couple of years back about how much work he had to go through with a vocal coach to lose the accent.  He was getting typecast as hayseed hicks. 


Yeah I was thinking of Micheal Rapaport, although even Walt seems to be pushing it a little.  I need to watch this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

Awesome, so you have a pinball collection?  I remember that machine, also the two on either side. Cool!


I remember the Pawn Stars episode.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

Awesome, so you have a pinball collection?  I remember that machine, also the two on either side. Cool!

 

 

Yeah, I sorta have a thing for 70s era Bally machines from my cavity-prone years…

 

IMG_5755.thumb.jpg.cf95a9942a9899d246ea217507224145.jpg

  • I like it 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, HoustonNit said:


I remember the Pawn Stars episode.

 

 

Hey- I never saw that before, glad you shared it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

 

 

Yeah, I sorta have a thing for 70s era Bally machines from my cavity-prone years…

 

IMG_5755.thumb.jpg.cf95a9942a9899d246ea217507224145.jpg

Beautiful 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

 

 

Yeah, I sorta have a thing for 70s era Bally machines from my cavity-prone years…

 

IMG_5755.thumb.jpg.cf95a9942a9899d246ea217507224145.jpg

Awesome. I think I would trade my bunker to have a pinball arcade like that!  (Not an offer in anyway, just a random thought.) 😀 Exquisite. 

 

Cheers

 

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Added spacing between words
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.