My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

dave ziegler

Joe it was my Pleasure to send you the stuff it is History saved and any time I can send the stuff to Good people like you that keep it means it will be preserved for History in many places!

Well You asked for it Joe and here are the pictures of the Barrels from when I first got them till the last pictures I took at Home tonight. Fricky Did a truly amazing job on them. And when I got mine today It hit me they are from Mar 1971 I still worked there that Year and I may well have rolled one of them after being filled to be racked to age!

1. The Day after Fricky picked them up at my friends place taken at his place last fall.

2. Sitting side by side Frickys and My Barrel at Fricky's looking Beautiful in the Sun!

3. My Barrels Head in my Living Room.

4. A Closeup of My Barrels Head note dated Mar 1971 - Whiskey From Rye Mash -- Continental Distilling Dsp-Pa-1 Phila

5. My Barrel sanding in my Living room looking amazing thanks to Fricky's Great work History is saved and preserved which is my goal for everything I find and get. When my time comes to an end my Barrel will go to the Limerick Historic Society to be with the many things I have given them so far!

I could Never Thank Fricky enough for his work on this project to save these two Barrels for History and my Friends that watch the place for letting me pick the two of them out last fall and taking them to their Home for us to get!

And all the Many Hours of Hard work Fricky put in them they are so darn Beautiful, I think if Mr Neuman could see them He would smile!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

post-1964-14489815725007_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815725392_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815725811_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815726229_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981572664_thumb.jpg

Dave, Very nice! Fricky did a great job. You both should be proud. Joe

Beautiful restoration job! I note the heads say "Whisky" instead of "Whiskey"...was that traditional at Kinsey or is there another explanation related to ultimate use in Scotland?

From all the Years I worked there they spelled Whiskey both ways depending on the brand and type if Scotch. I just looked at my original Bourbon Whiskey Head and it is spelled Whiskey on it.

I just looked at many of my Oringial Cases of labeled Bottles and all the Scotch ones are spelled Whisky, Old Hickory is spelled Whisky which I thought it was, Phila Blended spelled that way.

Kinsey is Spelled Whiskey also Governors Club, and Charter Oak.

And Planters Club spelled Whisky.

They always did it that way and I have no idea why except it just made them all different and they stood out that way as being different.

I am very Happy with the way the Barrels turned out as you could see in the Pictures before this page they came out better then I ever thought they would and they are very strong and in super shape now. Fricky really did an awesome job on them the past months since last fall. Please if you have not seen them go back 2 pages to the pictures on this page.

When I get a chance I will make a list of all the brands I have and how Whiskey was spelled on them by the company.

Besides the Barrel being from the last yr I worked there it is also really neat to think it was made in Marcus Hook pa at the Companies barrel plant and Cooperage School! Also the Fact I may have even rolled it to be racked after it was filled in Mar 1971.

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

One correction I said they were 50 gal they are both 48 gal just got mixed up as when I worked there we had some 50 gal and also 120 gal and even the experimental 320 gal barrels they were real fat cats! For the most part they used 48 gal ones. This one is even marked 48 but I just had the number 50 in my Head.

Dave Z

Sitting Here this morning I was thinking about Racking Barrels and taking them out. It was a job you really had to be carefull in doing as you would roll the barrel in the upper racks on the Loader Platform and which was placed sideways then before they took it down turn it sideways to let it be rolled right off you would then reach out and put a barrel holder to keep it there.

I remmeber being down below one time when a barrel suddenly rolled off the Lift at about the second tier rack it hit on the middle and rolled and amazingly it did not break or leak but the one guy there that was a Copper quickly turned it up on the head and checked all the Hoops.

We had flash lights to go in the racks to roll barrels out and it was dark even with all the Explosion Proof Lights. The explosion Proof warehouses had Steel racks that were six tiers high 333,000 barrels per floor.

We worked in a nice cool enviroment in the warehouses in Hot Summer and enjoyed work very much those days.

Being in there was like being in a Whiskey vaporiser it smelled great and I enjoyed the vapors those days the ceiling being filled with blue vapor a foot below the ceiling.

I wish I could go back there for just one day to savor the air and the whiskeys one more time.

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Jono When you walk through the Explosion Proof Warehouses on a Humid or cold day you can in some of them still smell Whiskey even though there is nothing in them but open floors the Cement floors have whiskey soaked in them.

In the spring on a cool spring day I went into Warehouse P by way of the back fire door and on the little escape porch in the fire door as the front was locked to the second floor. This was the day I found my Explosion proof 1941 Western Electric telephone. As I walked across the second floor I instantly smelled a heavy Whiskey smell and to my amazement not only did I smell it but it had sweated out of the floor in a long puddle. After all these years and the upper doors being open whiskey was still in the floor.

Also I have smelled it in some of the other warehouses the guys who watch the place say sometimes they still smell Whiskey in the air on a cold day when the wind is blowing toward their House

So I guess if you made condo's of them you would get the smell of good Whiskey. I know one thing it smelled dam good that day in there and brought back all the memories of the rooms being filled with Blue Vapors back when I was young working there.

I called Ludy Last night and my old boss from the warehouses Jack they are both ok but Jack was saying as I know there is just him and Ludy and Ace and Al left also Frank Kurtus.

Jack also solved the Mistery for me I had tried to call my Old Friend Frank Kurtus last yr and his wife would not tell me where he was or if he was living. Well Jack talked to her and said Frank had a stroke and can't talk. Frank was the one in Maintaince who was so kind to me and fixed my car for me at work and did not charge me way back then! I had a 1963 Chevy that yr.

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I could not stand another day without going to Kinsey and I took my camera with me!

Pictres are

1. Back Water tower

2. Weeds taking over everything

3. More Weeds and trees taking over

4. 1/2 Million Gal Whiskey Storage tank taken over by Summer Weeds!

5. Door going into Warehouse P type of Electric locking device!

I have a few more Plant pictures I will post later It is always very Hard for me to see Kinsey Like this and I hate it being this way as I love the Kinsey Plant! Also I could agian when I went into warehouse N smell a bit of Whiskey nothing like that great smell!

I can never stay away from Kinsey more than a few weeks I am always looking for that special Picture to show what it was Like to work for that great Comapny in That great place it was a very Special Place to work and as long as I live I will never forget Kinsey.

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

There's No Better Bourbon

Old Hickory Straight Bourbon Whiskey

post-1964-1448981576661_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815767008_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815767435_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815767836_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815768251_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981576661_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815767008_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815767435_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815767836_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815768251_thumb.jpg

Interesting graffiti on the door photo.....true enough...for both living and non-living...damn kids.

Here are the rest of the Pictures from Sunday to go with the ones posted just before this thread with the Weeds taking Kinsey over. Also I climbed the Cat walk stairs and got some shots of the Black coated incoming stainless tanks at the big Bottle house and posted them on the Bottle House Thread last night!

1. Inside Explosion Proof Warehouse second floor

2. Second Floor Warehouse N Door in wall open sun coming in note the old Barrel Lift near the door.

3. Looking across from J warehouse Dock to Warehouse K dock

4. Looking down coming in from Government Warehouse O weeds climbing everywhere

5. Inside the Old Jacob G Kinsey Post Prohibition Bottling house first floor from front to back of Bottle house still not fallen in and dryed out a bit from the Last time I brought another explosion proof Light cover home with me.

I hope once the weather gets cooler to get more pictures inside the big Bottle house if I can get my friends to let me in there for a picture shoot. Everything except for warehouses J & N was sealed tighly yesterday. I still love just being able to walk there and remember back to the days gone by

I stood there looking and like every time I go there it just does not seem possible that it is in such ruin. In my mind I remembered how busy it was the Last time I worked there back in late 1971 old 1941 Ford trucks running back and forth hauling Barrels to be dumped and the Bottling house running full tilt security driving around . And all my Friends there working that are for the most part now gone.

I could in Warehouse N just smell a faint smell of Whiskey also yesterday coming from the cement Floors!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Finest Bourbon

===========================

post-1964-14489815768639_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815769062_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815769493_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815769779_thumb.jpg

post-1964-144898157702_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815768639_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815769062_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815769493_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815769779_thumb.jpg

post-1964-144898157702_thumb.jpg

Dave, I know you left before the end but maybe it worked out for the best anyway....would it have been more difficult to stay there and see it change under your feet and then be locked out one day?

Jono you are right if I would have stayed 8 more yrs I would have hated going there to find it locked up and gone and then going to bottling Anitfreeze because of the people that took over after Mr Neuman died the sadest day in History for Publicker / Kinsey / and Continental Distilling. That day in 1976 was a terrible day poor Mr Neuman went in the Hospital for some minor thing and ended up dying of Leagionairs Sickness caught at the Hospital.

When Mr Neuman died Kinsey / and Publicker and Continental Distilling died that fateful day!

I will never forget the day I heard that Kinsey was closing forever in 1986 after 94 yrs operating.

Dave Z

Old hickory America's Finest Bourbon

When I get over to Kinsey I always just plain enjoy being there even though it is in Ruin. I also lament the Still being torn down when I think of all the great inside pictures I could have gotten. I also every time I go look in any building that is open for a Old Whiskey Thief as I promised Ludy I would look for one for him if any survived the people in there scraping everything.

I am amazed at at the stuff that was left behind mostly because this Guy that ownes it just walked away all those years ago. I think the only thing he cares about was using it as a write off.

It is sad to see glass broken every where and Kids smashing Old Bottles, in a way I am glad I did leave when I did as I would have been real mad working there when the people that forced their way on the Board changed everything to cause its end.

Its like seeing an Old Friend dying and there is nothing you can do. I will continue to look for Old Letter's and Papers when things are open to preserve for History.

And I still Hope to hear from my friend who was high in upper managment at Publicker Some one in his family was sick in May when I talked to him and I have not heard back anything I may try calling Ca this weekend to see if he is still there. The Place " Kinsey" is so big you never know what you might find there.

I hope yet this year to get the guys to let me in the Big Bottle house for a real big picture shoot of the place and will be calling them soon.

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------

Today I took a couple of Pictures of some of the stuff I have saved from Kinsey in my years of going there!

1. 48 Gal Barrel Head just says whiskey dated 1963

2. !20 gal Barrel Head Corn Whiskey I think date is 1962

3. Blue Print for new Bottle designed for Continental this bottle is still in use in Glass and Plastic by Distillers today!

4. Explosion Proof Light Bulb Cover from Old Kinsey Bottle House

5. Complete Explosion proof Light set up from Old Kinsey bottle house and green Hood from Dickie Phiefers old shop plus a old small explosion proof Light cover

6. Old Dry Ice Sign from Continentals Therm Ice Plant in Phila found in O Building

7. Old Wooden Whiskey Gauge glass tube broken out of it.

8. Old Scoop used to get Char out of Dump troughs got this in Building P

9. Old Barrel Head Inkers found at Plant a couple of years ago by me

Everytime I can find a way to carry something the mile and a 1/2 out of the Plant for History I do it I may be old but I want more then anything to preserve Kinsey's History.

Dave Z

post-1964-14489815773059_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815773453_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815773811_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815774195_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815774498_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815774892_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815775262_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815775437_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815775855_thumb.jpg

Tonight being only 2 months away from turning 62 my mind takes me back to the good old days at Kinsey! Life was so dam simple then. I would drive 3 miles go in and ring in and just plain enjoy my day working! The days in the yard gang could be hard but nothing like the days I spent when I first got out of school doing construction.

Kinsey was my first real break in life and if not for my neighbor bugging me I would have gladly stayed there till the end. I got my first nice car working there, went to my first Phillies ball games with the good money I made there. And I loved working when I worked there I never can remember a job that was so much fun as Kinsey!

I still have a pay stub from Dec 1969 I cleared $101.20 and I have a copy on my desk and people keep saying to me at work wow you made Dam good money there as a Kid! I never relised how dam good the money was till my neighbor talked me into working for him what a mistake.

I can still in my mind see us standing at the time clock in the Old DSP-Pa. 12 waiting to ring out and toseing loafes of bread in the old fermenter filled with water to the fish in it.

I can still see Charlie burning rubber with that old Model A frame vehical with a 100 Horse power Flat Head Ford in it and Old Bonda shifting to second reaching under the seat of his 1951 Pylmouth to get his Pint and put it to his mouth and his neck jumping as he gulped down some whiskey.

As a young Man I was blessed to work at the best place in Pa when I worked at Kinsey. I am very Lucky to Have worked there as my first Good Job and to work where I do now for my Last job the ones in the middle were horrible.

I wish that everyone who reads this could just go back in time to Kinsey and just work there one day it was awesome those days and I was so Proud to work there. Our Whiskeys back then were the finest made and Old Hickory was the best selling Bourbon around back then.

To See Kinsey the way it is today is Heart breaking but it just as I have been passed by Time and Life. Things are changing and not for the good those days were so simple work go home Drink a little Bourbon have fun today everything is so Hard. I am very glad I lived when I did as today is just not at all like those good old days.

My Biggest Hope is that Everyone will be able to see what those gloryous days were like back when I was young from these memories of Mine!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------

=======================================================

If you are just turning 62 that means you were working there in your early 20s....1972 your last year? About 25 when you left....it certainly made an impression....did you have to be 21 (legal age) to work in certain areas?

Jono I got out of School in 1966 worked Construction till I got my break at Kinsey I was actualy 19 1/2 when I started mid 1966 and worked there till the end of 1971. It was strange but back then you did not have to be of drinking age to work there as you were not suposed to drink there anyway!

Those five years taught me alot about life and I made friends with alot of Guys old enough to be my Dad and some of them took me under their wing so to speak kept me out of trouble.

It was there I learned the Value of working every day, not missing just getting up and going and learning to enjoy it. Every day there was like a study of Life all types of People some ok some awesome, and every day had its fum and its pain in the you Know what!

Working at Kinsey was a great place to work and a Company I could be So Dam Proud to work for. I really enjoyed my time in the warehouses rolling barrels racking them and smelling all that Great Whiskey we made. It is one place I will always be glad I worked. I can't say that for my Truck driving job of 18 yrs it was Hell!

When I left Kinsey to work for my Neighbor I found myself out of work 2 yrs later and it took yrs to make good money again. The Pasture is not greener some where else! But He kept bugging me and I made a big mistake.

From my Job at Kinsey I had many Old friends as I have many friends now where I work at Cabot! But my longest job driving for a Plating Company after 18 yr I only had 2 real friends and one is now dead due to an accident on a new job after they downsized us both him having 27 yrs me 18.

Kinsey was not at all like that It was just great to work there and you had a feeling of Pride working for Publicker. Publicker even though such a Big Company and we being in a Union was still great we all just got along fine and did the best we could to make things work. When Mr Neuman died so Did Continental / Publicker and Kinsey.

I can in my mind see all the buildings and things we did as if they were yesterday, every day we rolled and dumped many barrels of Fine Whiskey and the Best part of it all was the strong Whiskey smell in the Warehouses.

In todays world they would try to stop that as would say it could hurt you but I thought it was Great like being inside a bottle of Great Bourbon!

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------------------

I take it you had a taste for whiskey even at those "tender" ages! I had to grow into it....not until around 30-35. The only bourbon I recall in my parents house was a bottle of WT 101.

My first real job was at a grocery store....first bagging then promoted to produce where I worked all through college. It was one of those union jobs that allowed me to make far more than my peers per hour and certainly had its fun and pain in the a## moments. Believe me when I say every pretty woman was watched behind those metal door peep holes. The call would go out and each department would await their viewing....especially the meat cutters....man you never saw so many trays of meat suddenly have to be in the case. The shenanigans that went on in the back rooms near closing....produce fighting with dairy etc. etc. Yep, I learned alot about people....and sometimes I think life was much simpler...but most of those guys are now out of those jobs...not by choice as most of the stores closed and were bought up by other chains.

Jono When I got out of School at 19 I went to two places to try to get a job the Old Adam Scheit's Brewery Norristown bought by Schmids of Phila and Kinsey I am glad I got hired at Kinsey. The main reason being I have always Loved Beer best and those days you could drink in the plant all day if you wanted. I think I may have been in trouble with that when I was young.

At Kinsey I learned to enjoy now and then Whiskey but not go out of control as I could have easily back at 19 yrs old at a brewery. Also Continental was a much nicer place to work and every way. Good People good Whiskeys and good pay.

I enjoy Whiskey alot more these days and also remember How good our products were. Even today I would put our Spirits up against anyones. We had some of the best Whiskeys made back then and today I still love Old Hickory and think of it as one of the best Whiskys ever made.

And Yes I loved Whiskey as soon as I tasted Rye ready to become Rittenhouse Rye back then at 19 yrs old. The Whiskeys I got from the Barrels were always a nice deep brown and filled with Flavor. And I grew to love the smell of whiskey vapors in the warehouses.

I am always comparing Whiskeys of today to Our Products and for me that is the bench mark!

I can still remember the first Whiskey I drank and where, it was in The Old Jacob G Kinsey out front, Warehouse E next to the Old Bottle house, late 1950's Rye in the barrel in the old wooden racks. That Old Building is still standing but in bad shape but I will never forget the rye bread taste it had and its pleasant sweetness and smoothness going down for a Kid who had never drank whiskey.

I loved those days and I will always remember those first tasted whiskeys from the Barrels pure Pleasure.

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-

America's Most Magnificnet Bourbon

The nice thing about the Old Days and Kinsey / Continental Distilling was they paid so good and you did not have to do anything but go through school and when you got out want to work! I am still amazed when I look at my Pay stub from Dec 9 1969 and see that I made $101.20 a week clear. I have had engineers older men come in my office see the stub and say wow you made more then me back then!

When I went to the Warehouse from the yard gang we had about 8 full crews racking unracking and dumping and filling Barrels. We had 3 to 4 people per crew Plus the Lead man. We worked 8 hrs a day 5 days a week Monday Through Friday.

We enjoyed our Jobs and I found no reason to complain. We had a medicine card and full Insurance. We got all the major Holidays and also paid Vacation.

They for the most part Left you to just do your Job and all you had to do was do it right! We were the safest Distillery around back then and very much into Fire safety.

No one ever yelled at you and if you messed up you were always given a second chance. The Company unless you were stealing did not do alot to people caught drinking. I always was amazed how Kind they were to some people and it was a job you could feel safe knowing it would last.

Kinsey was always super Busy from July through Dec cranking out lots of Spirits for the Holidays and there would be 3 box cars and many trucks at the docks of the 1966 Bottling house during that period of time. Rail cars would be coming in our Company owned bridge across the river also cars full of coal for the Boilers even some tankers of Spirits!

The place looked beautiful during the fall trees turning colors deer Walking around and Rabits Lots of Wild Life and the lawns done perfectly. In the Yard Gang we would be getting everything cut for the last time for the winter and mulching trees. Emptying coal cars and doing lot of my favorite thing sweeping floors in Buildings.

I would when in the yard gang gladly offer to do the Old DSP-Pa 12 still. It always fascinated me looking at all the old Honeywell Timers with disc's put in back in 1951 never to be turned on again. All the Lights and sprinklers were as they had been in 1951 fully working.

Publicker always kept everything up about 6 yrs before they closed forever they had put a new roof on the Old kinsey house near the river. When I started there they were redoing a couple of the 14 Explosion proof Warehouse roofs.

it will always be the hardest thing for me to see the place so bad off. I now am looking forward to cold weather to take a walk back in time to Kinsey again!

Till the Day I die I will always believe that if Mr Neuman Had Lived Kinsey would still be operating!

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------------

America's most Magnificent Bourbon

Dave, I don't know if anyone else here can recall a job they loved more than you. I am sure each day you kick yourself for leaving when you did, but, that is water under the bridge. My father probably was similar in that he could have made more $ working at the big John Deere or IH plants but he liked his machiniist job at a smaller specialty shop and never left it. He would tell at supper...when families ate together...the goings on with some of the characters he worked with. I don't think he ever made more than 16-17K during in those days....in the 1970s that was probably lower middle class.

When I worked for Eagle grocery stores I remember making around $11 / hr in the early 1980s when other college students were making minimum wage of around $3.15 at most if I recall.

It sounds like you enjoy your current position.

Too bad BT did not aquire rights to Old Hickory (thinking of their new product line). Luxco never responed to my or your inquiry....if they have the recipe they are not doing anything with it.

Yes my Friend it is a shame that Luxco has done nothing with one of the most famous names in Bourbon Old Hickory! But it is better for there to be none then a horrible product as much as I would love to see it come back!

For a time we made Bankers Club it was awsome whoever makes it now it is horrible cheap stuff.

I hope that some time while I am living Someone will buy the Old Hickory name and bring it back as America's Most Magnificent bourbon.

And I can say without any thought It was the Best Dam Bourbon out there back in the Old days.

I drank it for the most part because there was nothing as good as It. And the second reason for the sake of my Job.

I am very Lucky to work at Cabot now they are the most wonderful place I ever worked at! Even better then Kinsey. The sad part is the place I worked at the longest Pottstown Plating was the worst Job any Person could have the company and the Union Hated you and when they went out of bussiness about 2 months ago I had alot of drinks that night in Happyness for the way they treated people.

I worked for Pottstown for 18 yrs then one day they just got rid of my Job and walked me and a friend that had 28 yrs out for downsizing. He never found a full time job and got hurt working part time and died.

But I offten wonder how much better it would have been to work at Kinsey and never end up at Pottstown!

However working for Cabot I have such a great job as company Mailman and they just gave me a Bulova Crono Watch for 10 yrs srevice. Now that is an awsome way to treat people and when I was out 21 days almost dieing in 2007 my job was never in danger I had no worry about losing it.

But the best part is that My first real job and my Last were both the best Jobs I ever had and Kinsey was a place that anyone could get a chance and have a good life.

Dave Z

-=========================================-

It Seems All The nicest People Drink Old Hickory

The Pa Distillery 10 Sign comes home to my House! On Monday Fricky brought me the Large Sign I saved from Kinsey He put many coats of lacqer on it to prevent any more of the Lettering to come off from the years it layed in a pile of rubble from what was Dsp-Pa. 12. About the year 2003 the people who claimed they were fixing the place up to buy it from the owner came in with a large machine and knocked the Number 12 down to steal all the metal they could get.

I found it around the year 2006 dug it out of a pile of rubble and because of its size could not carry it out so I turned it so rain would not lay on it. Then in fall 2008 The Guys who watch the Place brought it to their House across the street and Fricky took it with our 2 barrels to work on them.

It has a place in the center where it broke and buckled but 90% of the lettering has been saved by Lacqer. I took a picture of it last night on my steps and will post this week with some more Letter head I have been digging out of the stuff I found tosed around in the plant.

One piece I want to post is of a bill for 19,000 Barrel Staves sold to a copperage Company in Lebonon KY in I think it says 1977!

We had a very large Copperage Plant in Marcus Hook Pa and we sold alot to other Distiillers back in the day.

I hope in the next Month or so to take a walk around Kinsey again just waiting for cold weather because of the high weeds and Poison Ivy.

On Hot days like we have had all week here in Pa I think back to how nice it was in the Warehouses back then just right no matter how hot out! I look back at those days of my youth as days I learned all about life and its ups and downs.

In my wildest dreams I would never have thought that after 8 yrs having left Kinsey that they would stop Bottling Spirits there and close then reopen to do Antifreeze.

And then after 94 yrs like Mr Kinsey be gone forever from Phila and any making of Alcohol or Industrial products and that 94 yrs after Publicker was founded by Harry Publicker they would go off the Stock market even as Publicard to be gone forever after running a flash light company and a smart card company and other things.

I have much Paper work from the Plant brought up from Phila and from the Big Bottle house and old Kinsey Plant office and my goal is to post the interesting stuff soon.

I am becoming very worryed about my Friend who was a top officer at Publicker He has not called me that he has come to Pa and when I call where he lived in Ca I get the answering machine. I sure hope to hear he is alright and it is not looking good for me to meet him and talk about Publicker or Mr Si Neuman or look at any of his 1940's industrial pictures either. It is my Hope and prayer he is Ok!

Davd Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory

The Pa Distillery 10 Sign comes home to my House! On Monday Fricky brought me the Large Sign I saved from Kinsey He put many coats of lacqer on it to prevent any more of the Lettering to come off from the years it layed in a pile of rubble from what was Dsp-Pa. 12. About the year 2003 the people who claimed they were fixing the place up to buy it from the owner came in with a large machine and knocked the Number 12 down to steal all the metal they could get.

I found it around the year 2006 dug it out of a pile of rubble and because of its size could not carry it out so I turned it so rain would not lay on it. Then in fall 2008 The Guys who watch the Place brought it to their House across the street and Fricky took it with our 2 barrels to work on them.

It has a place in the center where it broke and buckled but 90% of the lettering has been saved by Lacqer. I took a picture of it last night on my steps and will post this week with some more Letter head I have been digging out of the stuff I found tosed around in the plant.

One piece I want to post is of a bill for 19,000 Barrel Staves sold to a copperage Company in Lebonon KY in I think it says 1977!

We had a very large Copperage Plant in Marcus Hook Pa and we sold alot to other Distiillers back in the day.

I hope in the next Month or so to take a walk around Kinsey again just waiting for cold weather because of the high weeds and Poison Ivy.

On Hot days like we have had all week here in Pa I think back to how nice it was in the Warehouses back then just right no matter how hot out! I look back at those days of my youth as days I learned all about life and its ups and downs.

In my wildest dreams I would never have thought that after 8 yrs having left Kinsey that they would stop Bottling Spirits there and close then reopen to do Antifreeze.

And then after 94 yrs like Mr Kinsey be gone forever from Phila and any making of Alcohol or Industrial products and that 94 yrs after Publicker was founded by Harry Publicker they would go off the Stock market even as Publicard to be gone forever after running a flash light company and a smart card company and other things.

I have much Paper work from the Plant brought up from Phila and from the Big Bottle house and old Kinsey Plant office and my goal is to post the interesting stuff soon.

I am becoming very worryed about my Friend who was a top officer at Publicker He has not called me that he has come to Pa and when I call where he lived in Ca I get the answering machine. I sure hope to hear he is alright and it is not looking good for me to meet him and talk about Publicker or Mr Si Neuman or look at any of his 1940's industrial pictures either. It is my Hope and prayer he is Ok!

Davd Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory

Today at lunch time I talked to Al Landis Jacob G Kinsey's great Nehew and I asked him what He thought happened that Mr Kinsey went out of Bussiness, besides the fact He reopened at age 75 in 1933.

He said the main reason was Mr Kinsey Did not like making Blends and prefered making just Great straight Rye Whiskeys and He could not compete in price.

He Also Told Me Mr Kinsey told them a shot 1 OZ of Good Rye is the Best thing for your Health its full of good stuff and Vitamins.

He also said Mr Kinsey always kept a bottle of Rye in his desk and would have a shot every day!

Finally Al told me that every day from fall 1933 till fall 1939 they would get a load of new barrels from NY a man would drive 4 to 5 hrs every day to bring them then spend 4 to 4 hrs driving back. He could not remember the name of the company or the man. Note Al Landis will be 91 yrs old in Nov

Dave Z

------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments