What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So, I picked up some scotch. :) I got an 18 year old Grouse vatted malts, $70 which is pretty good for such well aged and hopefully well-vatted malts. Gary

That's a really good price for this malt. Usually about $90 I think?

It was $70.95 at Queen's Quay today. I note from the website of LCBO it is discontinued, so maybe the price was reduced.

It has good flavours and a decided sherry finish and nose, but is a little spirity.

The Glenlivet French Oak 15 years old is also good, with the keynote perfumed note cognac has (but fainter of course), so that quality must be from the French wood, not the grapes in the brandy, unless ex-cognac casks were used, the label does not say. It also has a slightly spirity finish, maybe with time this will diminish in both drinks.

I honestly feel my own scotch blends, which are about 80% or more vatted malt (the rest grain whisky), are better. They are softer in mouth feel than either of these without a spirity finish, despite that they contain some grain whisky and these single malts do not, of course. Also, my blends are (inevitably, I guess) more complex.

Gary

Yes, it is probably a better buy at the price. I find the Grouse softens a bit with a dash of water.

Gary

Gary,

I'm a scotch drinker as well. You referred to your own blends, what are they? Are you an importer? I'm prejudiced toward the Islay malts - I'm presently enjoying an Ardbeg 10. Earlier today I had a pour of Four Roses SB to accompany a Nicaraguan cigar - they went well together. But then, almost any hand rolled cigar and good whiskey go well together.

Stu

Gary:

I'd go for King of Scots (Rare & Extra Old) at Bayview Village @ $42.15 down from $60. Only at Bayview. Nice blend and silky, but gets poweful at the end...

Whiskey/Spirits purchased in the last week is as follows:

Macallan 18 year (x3)

Balvenie 15 year

Bruichladdich 15 year

Edradour - port and marsalis 10 year

Four Roses Yellow Label

WT 101 8 Year

Blantons Silver (x2)

Blantsons Gold (x2)

Blantons SFTB (x3)

Bacardi 8 year (x2)

Bacardi Limon

Bacardi 12 year Special Reserve (only sold at the Bacardi Distillery)

Bushmills 16 year Malt

Went on a shopping frenzy while on vacation. Funny thing, my brother in law got stopped in customs and had to pay duty on 11 bottles. I had twice as many bottles as him (21) and didn't pay a thing. I teased him all the way home. :slappin:

Out shopping this morning, sadly I confirmed the slim pickings (relatively) for bourbon in Ontario. There is only at the moment WR, KC, WT (the 80), JB White and some Black. There was RB and RY for a while, but both are MIA and the RB is sorely missed. I believe that is it, on top of that in whiskey, there are the Jacks (all three).

Gary

I think I've seen BT around as well as Rebel Yell, although not at all outlets. I've also seen the odd bottling of Blantons around if I'm not mistaken, and there should be the odd bottle of Bookers on discount...

But your point is well made. We are going through a time of restricted options up here due to (1) several bourbons being discontinued on the general list such as Bakers, ETL, ER 10 and Bookers, and (2) no new bourbons comming in through vintages (limited shipments only).

I have not seen BT or Blanton in months, if you see them, please let me know, thanks.

Gary

tomarrow, i'll be in casper again. and the hop and vine has quite the selection. pretty sure i'll pick up some PVW20, OGD114, and EWSB 93,95. i really liked the 94. while i'm there i'll stock up on the "house whiskey" (very rare old heaven hill 10yr 100, ancient ancient age 10 yr) maybe a couple other bottlings that strike my interest!

I have not seen BT or Blanton in months, if you see them, please let me know, thanks.

Gary

Holy cow! Just a few weeks ago I could have sworn I saw some BT! Now the on-line inventory claims there's none around! I'll keep my eyes open for Blantons.

Sometimes you see the odd straggler in a store but once it's off the computerised inventory, usually there is none left. We are in a particularly lean period for bourbon in this province, I can't recall in past years (last 10 anyway) when there has been so little. I get somewhat annoyed to see three different bottling sizes of WR when I'd rather have other brands of B-F to replace two of those (or in addition of course). I find it particularly annoying when LCBO in a shelf-talker describes a product as new when just the bottle format is different. I realise there may be markets for packages as such, but still. OF 100 is a logical choice for sale here, even Early Times. I have never been enamoured of government liquor retailing. I believe the objects they achieve - responsible selling practices, taxation levy, can be achieved as easily with a private distribution network. And consumer choice would result, in my opinion, in a broader or a more rational product choice than we see on the shelves in most control states.

Gary

george t stagg! ...yesterday afternoon my buddy picked up two of the three bottles they had at john walker & co.

Found a couple of dusties:

Rebel Yell 90 proof...not sure the date, but it's tax-stripped. It has a UPC, so not terribly old, but I've never seen it. What a great label that was. The new(er) labeling is, to me, pretty bland.

Weller 107 from Louisville with gold veining.

:grin:

Didn't buy them today, but they just showed up...

WT KY Spirit

WT American Honey

AAA 10 Year

Buffalo Trace

George Dickel Barrel Select

Another Package on the way, should be here in a couple of days contains :

Eagle Rare SB

Pappy 15

Lot B

WT 80

WT 101

WT Rye

My Binny's shopping list is getting shorter and shorter.....

I may have to add more to it!!:grin:

Scott

I spent my this month's whiskey budget all in one go right after payday, so I haven't been able to buy anything. Same thing is going to happen right after my next payday, too.

Sigh.

Ed

Just ordered from Binny's....

Old Fitzgerald Very Special 12 Year

Weller 12 Year

In reading some reviews, these two seem to be well regarded.

Very surprised to stumble onto a Russell's Reserve 101 today. Not unusual for some of you I know, but considering Oregon is a control state, this is as close to a dusty-bottle find as I'm likely to get. I asked the clerk where it came from and she said it was a return from a local bar. Their loss!

I had a meeting with a client in Virginia, so I used the road trip as an excuse to check out the packies on the Maryland/Delaware border. I picked up some bottles I'd never seen before in New Jersey -

Pikesville Supreme Rye

Ancient Ancient Age

Wellers 12 yo

Van Winkle Private Reserve Rye

Virginia Gentleman 90

Should make for some good tipplin' :cool:

Just returned from a business trip to Tennessee and South Carolina. It's a good thing I drove this one. Picked up 3 Staggs, 1 WLW, 1.75 single barrel bottling of BT, 1 ETL, 1 Eagle Rare 101 10yr, 1 Old Fitz Very Special 12yr (Bourbon Heritage Collection), and most delightful of all, 2 complete sets of Bourbon Heritage Collection 50ml minis in their display boxes. I'll know next week if the business end of the trip was as fruitful :D

Cheers,

JOE

Picked up Sam Houston (hopefully a good pick) and the newest bottling of William LaRue Weller (looking forward to comparing with its first release!)

12 Rittenhouse Rye BIB

6 Saz Jr.

2 OFBB Bottled 2006

2 Elmer T. Lee

2 Ancient Ancient Age

bj

When's the party???? I'll bring the food:grin:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!