What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When's the party???? I'll bring the food:grin:

The only planned party I have is a Super Bowl party and that is a few months away. Anyone from this forum is welcome anytime they are in central Missouri. We will pour a dram or more when you come. I am about 15 minutes from Kingdom City on Interstate 70.

bj

Ridgemont Reserve for $19.99

Old Grand Dad BIB $13.49

Cragganmore 12 yr. little pricey at $33.99

Q gin $18.99

Chris

I pulled a bunch from the second to the bottom shelf today in my quest to find the cheapest Bourbon that I actually like. These are all new to me, Old Charter 10, Old Charter BIB, Rebel Yell, and Evan Williams Black. I restocked EC12, OGD BIB, Russel 90, 3 bottles of Beam Black on sale at $16, and a Weller SR. Then I found a new (to me) top shelfer, Pritchard Double Barrel. I have heard a few negatives about this one, but anytime my local proprietor brings in something new and interesting I try to reward him with at least one sale. Need more room for the Bourbon, something has got to give.

I bought two bottles of 2006 William Larue Weller at $48.99 each. There is one bottle left which, if it is still there Monday, I will probably go ahead and buy as well. From everything I've heard about this bourbon, it will be a very good investment. I am really looking forward to trying this one!

Yesterday, I picked up a new Baby Saz to replace the recently departed bottle, and also an Elmer T. Lee.

Saz Jr. is back in stock at Hi Time... for $39.99!!! :bigeyes: :smiley_acbt: :bigeyes: I passed!

Placed an order for Vintage 17 and EWSB at Bevmo instead, pick them up tomorrow. The EWSB is the 97 vintage. Taking them to Oregon next week.

Drove into MD on Sat and picked up the following ...

Saz Jr. $22 (a deal in my opinion)

WLW '06 $49 (x2)

Old Forester BB 2005 $38.50

Not a purchase per say, but this weekend I got a belated Valentines gift from Leslie: A bottle of 21yo Black Maple Hill.

My first impressions of this are very favorable. A little sweeter than my bottle of the 16yo, with a more "fragrant" nose of vanilla a caramel.

I love you honey :kiss::kiss:

Several old bottles of Old Grand-dad BiB. Transitional liters with fluid ounces indicated as well and Carlisle strips but no distilling and bottling dates. Early '80's probably. And, interestingly, one bottle with a tamper-proof cap and a faux strip that has dates: '80/'88.

And, believe it or not, Old Potrero Hotaling's Whiskey. Not bourbon I know, but amazing that such a limited product has finally found its way to NYC.

-Mike

Grabbed a bottle of EWSB 1966 and also a (non-bourbon) Forty Creek.

I'm betting he means 1996! :slappin:

Dawn

I picked up a liter of Dant BIB today, for $17.99. This is a few years old, it's pre-Heaven HIll, with DSP-2 as the listed distillery (Louisville - Old Charter I think), and was one of two left at an old mom and pop store. I've been working through a bottle of this lately, and decided it's quite good enough to get another. It starts out a bit grassy, sorta like Old Grand Dad. The nose is sweet and round, and the finish is long and plummy. It needs room to breathe - the first few pours of this were rough, but the second half of this bottle has been a pleasure.

So re-up, soldier!

Sazerac Coctail, no gov't warning, $9

Hill and Hill 1.75, no gov't warning, $16

EWSB 93, $23

ORVW 10 yr, 2 bottles, $25 each

PVW 20, $80

Well done, Grain Brain.

I bird-dogged a lot today, and picked up a 200mL OGD 86 w/the 8-yr age statement. Bottled in 1988, so after Beam acquired it. I wonder when they did away with the age statement?

Last night, I picked up a pair of DSP-16 Old Fitz BiB 375's from a liquor store I happened to park next to.

Arriving home a half-hour later, the crappy plastic bag tumbled open and one bottle bit the dust against the icy sheet of hard-frozen snow and slush blanketing the driveway. A sweet-smelling puddle of bourbon quickly bled out and marked the site of the disaster.

Not a very auspicious start to the year of the golden pig, I'm afraid.

...Arriving home a half-hour later, the crappy plastic bag tumbled open and one bottle bit the dust against the icy sheet of hard-frozen snow and slush blanketing the driveway. A sweet-smelling puddle of bourbon quickly bled out and marked the site of the disaster...

Open and drink that other one before it, too, escapes!

Last night, I picked up a pair of DSP-16 Old Fitz BiB 375's from a liquor store I happened to park next to.

Arriving home a half-hour later, the crappy plastic bag tumbled open and one bottle bit the dust against the icy sheet of hard-frozen snow and slush blanketing the driveway. A sweet-smelling puddle of bourbon quickly bled out and marked the site of the disaster.

I think I would have be munching on an Old Fitz snow cone. :cool:

bj

On a long weekend trip to Okinawa I got a bottle of Wlid Turkey Heritage at the duty free. I had a bottle of this last year and liked it a lot. I think I like WT 12 better which is also cheaper than the Heritage, but I couldn't resist. For one thing, the Heritage is a single barrel so I might get lucky and hit a honey barrel. I think I will crack it open tonight.

Ed

Was there any indication on the bottle that stated DSP-16? I was looking at some of my bottles and could not find anywhere on the bottle that indicated the Distillery number.

Just finalized an internet order of:

2 bottles of Rittenhouse BIB

2 bottles of Saz Jr.

ORVW 10/107

and

2 different aged rums

1L Vodka

Was there any indication on the bottle that stated DSP-16? I was looking at some of my bottles and could not find anywhere on the bottle that indicated the Distillery number.

It's on the Fitz bond bottlings...the green 1980s labels declare it right under the script-font "Old Fitzgerald Distillery" lettering. However, I don't think Old Fitz Prime (gold labels) include a DSP number Greg, at least mine don't.

I bought five whiskeys yesterday, all 750 ml bottles, ranging in price from $7.99 to $20.69., so a ratio of 2.6:1 without exceeding $21.

Ten High 7.99

Seagram's 7 Crown 9.99

Rittenhouse Rye BIB 11.99

Old Fitzgerald BIB 13.99

Elmer T. Lee SB 20.69

The Ten High, a Barton product, is Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, at least four years old, 80 proof. It has that "overripe bananas" nose and burns a little in the back of the throat. It's drinkable, but then I'm a well known fan of Very Old Barton and this is its younger brother.

It's more enjoyable than the Seagram's Seven, a blend, which has a pleasant and unmistakable flavor of vanilla, cherry and hazelnut front and center, and nothing else except, also, a little burn in the back of the throat.

The Rittenhouse BIB is something I won't be without on my active back bar. Best value in an American whiskey.

The Fitz is DSP-1 stock. More on that later. The ETL probably speaks for itself, a great value in a fine single barrel for less than $21.

Other prices noted. Jim Beam black and Maker's Mark, priced about the same at just over $20 off deal, just under $20 on deal. Knob Creek a little higher at $26.99. Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, EWSB (95), and Ridgemont 1792, all in that same neighborhood, and all several dollars more than the ETL.

Old Overholt 80 proof is about a buck higher than Rittenhouse BIB.

I heard rumors that Old Fitzgerald 1849, formerly 8 years old, is the latest Heaven Hill brand to go NAS. It's true.

A few years ago, Jim Beam on deal would have been priced almost like the Ten High. Not anymore. It's another indication of the health of the category that Beam is supporting an everyday price on the white label 750 ml of $13.99!!!

Although as between the two, at that price difference, I'll take the Ten High.

Last nite I found and bought 3 bottles of Buffalo Trace, a rarity in these parts. 2 are for me, and one will be waiting for my dad when he gets back from vacation.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!