What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's on the Fitz bond bottlings...the green 1980s labels declare it right under the script-font "Old Fitzgerald Distillery" lettering. However, I don't think Old Fitz Prime (gold labels) include a DSP number Greg, at least mine don't.

Ok, thanks Dave. I guess I'll have to do some research on the UPC codes to figure out distillery. My real interest lies with attempting to find some dusty bottles. I'll be in SC in a couple of weeks and since SC is not a controlled state, there's a whole lot of older liquor stores in Myrtle Beach and the surrounding area that may have older stock. In between Golf and Poker, I'm going to start hunting and hopefully find some older bottles.

I'll be in SC in a couple of weeks...

Man, if you're driving (instead of flying) by all means bring back some cases of Blenheim Extra Hot ginger ale! Look for the red bottlecaps. It's local to the SC, although they've begun distributing throughout the Carolinas, but they don't distribute in the DC area (of all places, Restoration Hardware used to sell the "regular" hot, but no more). Some people find it undrinkably spicy by itself, but it's the best dang mixer for making a ginger & rye ever...I thank Jake_Parrott for sharing some from his stash to make that point.

I bought (in a small grocery/liquor store in some mean streets of a U.S. city) an I.W. Harper BIB, distilled '68 bottled '73. $15.95.

But I don't have it with me. I took it away with me, had it long enough to nose it (lovely butterscotch nose) but it didn't make it home.

The story of why, and (more to the point) what happened to it, is not complete yet, more details to follow next week.

Gary

I bought (in a small grocery/liquor store in some mean streets of a U.S. city) an I.W. Harper BIB, distilled '68 bottled '73. $15.95.

But I don't have it with me. I took it away with me, had it long enough to nose it (lovely butterscotch nose) but it didn't make it home.

The story of why, and (more to the point) what happened to it, is not complete yet, more details to follow next week.

Gary

A sad story, Gary. Bourbon worthy of appreciation should be joined with those capable of appreciating it, as you are. Best we can hope for, pending further info, is that it wound up somewhere because its value was noted.

This may well happen, Tim.

With the lost (or shall we say, errant) Harper was a circa-1990 OF 1849 and a pint NDOT, purchased in the environs of the store where the Harper was found (next to a quart of black label Dickel with a metal screw cap but I left it because it had some evaporation).

However this may all have a happy ending, not in the way I intended, but in a different way.

We will see.

Gary

Today I got myself:

Jack Single Barrel

Gentleman Jack

Wild Turkey Rare Breed x 2

Wild Turkey honey Liquer

Woodford Reserve

Baker's

Basil Hayden's

I got these for an absolute steal, I may go back for 2 more Gentleman Jacks and 2 bottles of Booker's tomorrow. There's also a bottle of Jim Beam Bonded hiding there somewhere, however today it could not be located:smiley_acbt:

Scott

I bought some Buffalo Trace yesterday, and must say that I wasn't real impressed. It had, for a lack of a better term, an 'earthy' aftertaste. Not quite sure that is what I'm looking for. I still keep going back to Bulleit. Awesome bourbon for the price.

A check of our WA. State Liquor site revealed some interesting bottles available here in WA. that I have never seen on our shelves. GT Stagg, William Larue Weller and Eagle Rare 17.

I feel quite fortunate in that I picked up the last two bottles of Stagg for $51 each. The William Larue Weller is a 5-hour drive across the State so I am passing on that one.

For any of you WA State folks interested, there is 1 bottle of ER 17 left in Federal Way and 2 in North Bend ($51).

I will have to get to know my local Liquor Store manager a little better. I have been told by a couple folks at the stores I most visit, that GT Stagg was not a bottle I could order through them?

I picked up a WL Weller 12 and Very Special Old Fitzgerald along with the 2 Staggs.

All nice additions for my future consumption!

:toast:

A check of our WA. State Liquor site revealed some interesting bottles available here in WA. that I have never seen on our shelves. GT Stagg, William Larue Weller and Eagle Rare 17.

I feel quite fortunate in that I picked up the last two bottles of Stagg for $51 each. The William Larue Weller is a 5-hour drive across the State so I am passing on that one.

For any of you WA State folks interested, there is 1 bottle of ER 17 left in Federal Way and 2 in North Bend ($51).

I will have to get to know my local Liquor Store manager a little better. I have been told by a couple folks at the stores I most visit, that GT Stagg was not a bottle I could order through them?

I picked up a WL Weller 12 and Very Special Old Fitzgerald along with the 2 Staggs.

All nice additions for my future consumption!

:toast:

Did you get the Stagg from the Fife store?

Did you get the Stagg from the Fife store?

Yes I did. I called them yesterday and had them hold a couple bottles for me. They had more than the 2 when I called, but by the time my buddy picked up my bottles for me this morning, the others were gone as well. The Federal Way store was already out of their supply.

The manager of the Federal Way store told me to call back in 2 months and check, she expects to get more around then?

The manager of the Store in Issaquah seems to be a good guy. He ordered up a case of the VW Lot B, which sold out in just a few days, and he has ordered some VW 15 as well. I will stop in next week and chat him up about some of these bottles and see if we can't get them ordered with some more regularity. He told me he would order the VW products as long as they moved...and they sure seemed to do that.

I bought five whiskeys yesterday, all 750 ml bottles, ranging in price from $7.99 to $20.69., so a ratio of 2.6:1 without exceeding $21.

Old Fitzgerald BIB 13.99

The Fitz is DSP-1 stock. More on that later...

Chuck,

I found and purchased a bottle of this for $13.00 just the other day also - distilled at DSP-1, bottled at DSP-31.

Can you educate me (us) about this?

Also found and purchased several bottles of EWSB 1994 at $24 each.

~tp

Chuck,

I found and purchased a bottle of this for $13.00 just the other day also - distilled at DSP-1, bottled at DSP-31.

Can you educate me (us) about this?

Also found and purchased several bottles of EWSB 1994 at $24 each.

~tp

Old Fitz BIB is a longtime favorite of mine. It was made at Stitzel-Weller (DSP 16) until that distillery closed in 1992. It has been made at Bernheim (DSP 1) ever since, first by what is now Diageo and by Heaven Hill since 1999.

The old SW Fitz BIB was like liquid caramel corn. The DSP 1 effort has, I think, gotten progressively better. One difference is a slightly bitter back-of-the-throat burn that seems to characterize all DSP 1 spirits. It's not unpleasant. For many people, that's something they look for in bourbon, but it was absent from the DSP 16 product.

The Old Fitzgerald brand began in the late 19th century. It was created by the Herbst Company of Milwaukee. Pappy Van Winkle bought it at the end of Prohibition and it became the leading brand for Stitzel-Weller and the prototypical wheated bourbon.

I am in Oregon, heading home tomorrow afternoon, and grabbed 2 bottles of Buffalo Trace one for my buddy's ranch bar and one for my closet. If I have time tomorrow I am going to grab an Ezra B 12 year, it is another that is not available in SoCal so for it's low price I'd like to add it to my every day pours... The selection here in Oregon isn't as bad as I thought it was when I left a few years ago.

Went looking for some BMH... cam ehome with Wathen's.

I really like the Wathens SB. Hard to find here in VA. I've only found it in 1 ABC store.

2 x Booker's. We really like everything about this whiskey.

Others in our top 5 would include:

Elmer T. Lee

Knob Creek

Bulleit

ERSB 10 y/o

If we could throw in Tennessee and Irish whisky we'd add George Dickel #12 and Powers Gold Label.

Old Forester 100 and Basil Hayden's. Can't go without my Old Forester 100

B H, now that the weather is warming up.

J.W.

Here in South Jersey, it's not only a sunny day, it's also a dusty day! I just found a gold-viened bottle of Weller 107, with a faux tax stamp, distilled in Louisville. And four pint bottles (for six bucks each!) of Old Taylor BIB, with tax stamps. Of all the dusties I've ever run across, the OT BIB is my favorite. Huge, plummy flavor, just heaven in a bottle.

Here's question for the archeologists out there. I had been reaching the bottom of my original dusty OT BIB. Distilled at DSP -19, bottled at DSP -14. No tax stamp or government warning, and with a UPC code on the label. These four pint bottles are clearly older, bearing tax stamps but no UPC code, and they bear the same distillery information - distilled at DSP -19, bottled at DSP - 14. But the newer bottle says Old Taylor Distillery, Frankfort, while the older bottles say Old Taylor Distiller, Frankfort and Louisville. Did Old Taylor at one point have a second distillery?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!