What are you drinking tonight? (Summer '07)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok ok...I'll go first. Last night I opened a new (old) bottle of Wild Turkey 8 year 101. Distilled 1977, bottled 1985. Man was I impressed. I have avoided WT products over the last year or so because there were so many other choices that were out there plus I was totally unimpressed with the current WT offerings. I must say, this earlier bottling is quite good and definately something I will go back to on a regular basis.

Last night: W.L. Weller Antique 107/7yo. Very intense for a wheater. Amazing bourbon easily worth double the price (especially since I got it for $15 in Maryland). This week was the first time I've tried this particular bourbon, inspired in part by a wheater tasting at stoopsie's recently.

Last night: W.L. Weller Antique 107/7yo. Very intense for a wheater. Amazing bourbon easily worth double the price (especially since I got it for $15 in Maryland). This week was the first time I've tried this particular bourbon, inspired in part by a wheater tasting at stoopsie's recently.

I'll go ahead and fess up to something that I've been needing to get off my chest. I may like the BT Weller 107 as well as or even better than the S-W version. Some bottles of the Louisville stuff that seem to have gotten a year or two extra in the barrel have blown me away, but damn if the Frankfort version - while different - doesn't always make me happy. Doesn't stop me from buying S-W bottles, mind you, but at a given time I like to have open a BT version, then a S-W version, and so on, alternating which one I'm drinking as I empty a bottle. And neither one is a letdown from the other.

I'm drinking Bowmore 12 right now, and it's hitting the spot. Up next, it'll be a Saz Jr. and then, I think, some S-W Old Fitz.

I'll go ahead and fess up to something that I've been needing to get off my chest. I may like the BT Weller 107 as well as or even better than the S-W version.

I absolutely love the products BT is putting out right now. I think that if something happened to BT right now, in a few decades people would be searching for current BT whiskeys with the same fervor we now shower on S-W.

I'd love to do a side-by-side with old S-Ws and their modern BT & HH versions too. That being said, I have one comparison, but I'm drawing on memory. I have the Pappy 15 open, and I got to try the ORVW 15 at stoopsie's the other night, and I think the latter may have the edge.

I'll go ahead and fess up to something that I've been needing to get off my chest. I may like the BT Weller 107 as well as or even better than the S-W version...

Ya know, this speaks to something I think we all know, but don't say explicitly often enough -- the Buffalo Trace crew knows good bourbon (even when they 'steal it'?, as the joke goes).

No, no accusation of stealing there, really -- but Gary Gayheart made Old Charter before it became a BT brand. Julian VW is in partnership with BT. Elmer has been BT for a long time. Harlen's doin' okay.

Who else is scouring their warehouses for prime barrels that don't fit current brands, and creating new labels for them (think G.T. Stagg, Eagle Rare 17, et al)?

Buffalo Trace makes great whiskey, they buy great whiskey, and they let talent select great whiskey. To me, that makes Buffalo Trace a great whiskey company!:toast: Heck, they've even let me take part in choosing a barrel or six:grin: (okay, okay -- we'll forgive 'em that!:blush:).

I'm back in Myrtle Beach to collect my reconstructed car (geesh -- the next thing that goes right with this incident will be the first thing. Now, even after a month, the body shop can't supply one of the headlights! I'm likely driving it home with one).

Anyway, I brought a 200ml bottle of Louisville Old Charter "Classic" 12yo/90 proof with me, having now been here before, and am drinking it with diet Coke as I type. I'm drinking better bourbon than 90% of the SC population, from the look of things. Man, the liquor shelves are bourbon-barren here!

Tim,

While in Myrtle Beach, check out Green's liquor store on the main drag at 29th. St. N. in North Myrtle Beach. Best liquor store I found in Myrtle!

Thomas

I absolutely love the products BT is putting out right now. I think that if something happened to BT right now, in a few decades people would be searching for current BT whiskeys with the same fervor we now shower on S-W.

For what it's worth, I really felt good after reading this. Unfortunately I kinda missed the S-W boat but it's nice to know that there really is still some quality whiskey production going on these days. I hope that BT's attention to quality and tradition continues. Another note, I'm expecting a flask to arrive in the mail soon. It's something I will probably have for years. It's maiden voyage will be accompanied by none other than Buffalo Trace.

Indeed - and let's not forget that people are already searching for old BTAC releases. I've had very few S-W bottles, and they've always been good, but BT has really been on a roll. Since I tend to be more of a "now" drinker, I'm quite happy to see that they're putting quality pours on the shelves! I wasn't a whiskey drinker back during the glut era, so while S-W whiskeys are a nice treat, they are hard enough to find that I tend to gravitate towards what's readily available.

Two of my three pours tonight were BT - one AAA 10 year, and one Weller Antique 107 (a Frankfort bottle like every one I've had). WT Rye provided the nightcap...

Old Forester, 86 proof, dimpled bottle - dated 1995.

Not bad, a bit rough around the edges, will be interesting to see if it gets better after the bottle's been open awhile.

If not, no big deal as it was only $10.:cool:

~tp

Tim,

While in Myrtle Beach, check out Green's liquor store on the main drag at 29th. St. N. in North Myrtle Beach. Best liquor store I found in Myrtle!

Thomas

Also try Owens Liquor's....I picked up PVW15 and 20 there. I found Weller Antique 107 at Greens.

So far this week I have had WT 101, AA 10yr. barrel 107, Rebel Yell, Bernheim Wheat, OCPR and Pritchards double barrel bourbon. I'm leaving for Las Vegas on Sunday so who knows what next week will bring!

Thomas

Tonight I had some great FRSB (the Single Barrel), which is probably the best bottle I've had yet, full, sweet and woody but without tannic edge, fruity, pepperminty. Just tops.

Also, a little Sazerac cocktail. Here's how I did it: 50% of the Heaven Hill mingling I did recently, remaining 50% Portuguese brandy, dash each Fee's and Angostura (the Fee's was the cinnamony oak-aged bitters), dash maple syrup, dash 1970's Pernod (a gift from Randy Goode some years ago). Very good indeed.

Then, a half of two bottles of beer (remainder capped for tomorrow): the great Sinha stout from Sri Lanka (an Imperial stout basically, a holdover from British colonization days - this is called Lion in some markets), and the Saaz-hopped Christoffel Bier from Holland which is a craft lager beer of the highest quality.

Gary

A Manhattan with OGD BIB, Cinzano sweet vermouth, and my homemade bitters. They're heavy on clove and cardamom with a decent cinnamon backbone and a good, bitter bite. Not the viscosity I'd hoped for, but this is my first batch. A great cocktail.

Don't know where I'll go from here, but the Beam Black 7/90 I opened last night is calling my name.

This is my first attempt at this, so go easy on me... I poured myself an OGD114 that I found at a local this week. It is surprisingly smooth with a touch of water, and is going well with the Opus #4 I am smoking. Wow, this stuff is great!!!

Sipping some Rowan's Creek on the rocks while paging through the just arrived Summer (3rd quarter) edition of Malt Advocate. They devote a decent amount of space to bourbon.

I'm having some Old Fitzgerald BIB now, after a Negroni and a Red Hook. With the Old Fitz, I'm noticing a bit of burn, and yet it seems soft and mellow at the same time. From a flavor standpoint, mostly caramel/vanilla with just a hint of menthol. The finish is fairly short, not particularly woody, mostly a fadeaway of the original taste.

I'd put this very high on the bang-for-the-buck list though - I'd pick this over MM any day.

Sipping some Rowan's Creek on the rocks while paging through the just arrived Summer (3rd quarter) edition of Malt Advocate. They devote a decent amount of space to bourbon.

Rowan's Creek has been my choice for this summer. It's a great pour, especially on the rocks.

Those of you that know me know that I don't like cocktails, I find them too sweet. It was not exceptionally hot last evening, but I spent the day with a chain saw so I was hot. My wife spent the day gardening so she also worked up a good sweat. We took some chocolate mint from her herb garden and put it in a food processor, then put the crushed mint into a tea ball. I poured a good sized glass of Very Old Barton and used that as a base for the tea. After it seeped well we poured it over two ice cubes and garnished it with a sprig of chocolate mint. Very cool and refreshing. It works just as well with any other good bourbon. We tried it once with spearmint and it wasn't nearly as good as chocolate mint, but it was still cool and refreshing. She also raises sun mint but we haven't tried it with that. Those of you who have an herb garden, give it a try and let me know your opinion. I call it Arkansas Tea, maybe I should call it Kentucky Tea?

Stu

P.S Those of you that know Bernadette know that she is not a bourbon fan (she likes single malts) but she really enjoys the tea that I described in my last post. Also I said that I normally don't like cocktails, however there are exceptions. Sometimes when Bernadette cooks Mexican food she makes a pitcher of delicious Martgueritas using gold tequila and lots of salt on the glass. We'll also drink an occasional colada made with Coco Lopez and a double helping of dark rum (a recipe we found in Puerto Rico). Occasionally after a fine supper I'll make us a drink that I invented years ago that's a bastardization of a King Alphonse and a Brandy Alexander - crushed ice, add equal parts of heavy cream, Creme de Cocoa, and Kahlua, then blend. It tastes like a spiked mocha malted milk.

Stu

Went to the neighbors last night for a cookout... Dave knows I like bourbon and offered me two choices: Weller 12 or "this other one". The other one turned out to be EWSB 1994 (which he bought cuz the label looked different)!

Golly, I love my neighbors.

Tonight, a couple of hits of Barton Bottled in Bond. I think this bourbon may have the best nose of any bourbon I have. Very floral and distinctive. Only resemblance to anything else I can think of is the Four Roses Single Barrel. In addition, I find it interesting how the floral nose gives way to a delicious yeasty taste. And, a superbly clean finish. For around $10, this is exceptional whiskey.

JOE

First a bottle of Polish beer (Okocim) to accompany the food at a semi-local Polish buffet.

Now, Weller Antique. I'm getting an impression of honey with a slight touch of cinnamon, and a medium honey/oak finish.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!