What are you drinking tonight? (Summer '07)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Doublewood on ice trying to get both of my daughter's mp3 players function correctly.

PITB

Chris

My first Old Charter 12 yo Classic 90 (Louisville). Mine comes in a black felt bag with the logo on it. Excellent. Very smooth. Nice spiciness from the rye but not overpowering. Nice flavors. Wonderful cap to my evening.

Bob

I am enjoying a bit of Eagle Rare 101. I found a store with eight liter bottles, so I picked one up. My first taste, and it is good....

Question is, should I pick up more? I have read that this is no longer made....

First, Plymouth Gin and tonic, in a glass full of ice with a squeeze of lime. Now, Pappy 15...

...Question is, should I pick up more? I have read that this is no longer made....

It is no longer made, and has not been for a couple of years. If you desire it, you might consider buying while you can.

Thank you. And for clarifiction, it was eight (8) One Liter bottles I saw, not eight liter bottles....

After working 8 of the last 9 days, including about 27 hours over the wekend, I'm relaxing with a generous pour of GT Stagg over ice. Looking forward to the next 3 days off, including a steak at Gibsons tomorrow, likely to include a Bombay Sapphhire dirty martini with bleu cheese stuffed olives for a cocktail. That said, I return to my Stagg.....:bowdown:

As many of you are aware, I'm a rye fiend... recently purchased bottles of 23 year old Vintage rye met with my approval this evening.

But in the long run, the spinach juice still has my favor. (Saz Jr).:lol:

As many of you are aware, I'm a rye fiend... recently purchased bottles of 23 year old Vintage rye met with my approval this evening.

But in the long run, the spinach juice still has my favor. (Saz Jr).:lol:

Glad to see you back, Mark. Saz Jr. is okay by me -- better than Sr., in my opinion (and BT-distilled, to boot!).

Midafternoon I had the best black and tan I have ever tasted, porter and pale ale in this case from a craft brewery in Michigan which I have forgotten the name of. When I returned to Ohio I drank my last Original Coors and my last four swallows of OGD BIB. I need to go to shopping soon, all that is left is Ancient Age.

WT 12 y.o. split label and I'm split on this one....1/2 of me is pissed that I opened my only bottle of 12 y.o. split label, the other 1/2 is glad as hell i did!

Bernheim Wheat Whiskey. Haven't had a sip from this bottle in quite awhile. I'm not as enthusiastic about it as I was originally.

Having some Cabin Still 88508 80proof from 1987. Taste is very complex with a hint of chocolate brownie.

Jeff M.

Had my first taste of Blanton's..... MMMMMM..... Then poured a small Maker's Mark to finish the night.

Enjoying some 1972, 7yo Old Fitz Prime from a ringneck pheasant Wildlife Decanter series bottle, opened last week to honor Scratchline's visit. A bit more subtle than S-W OFBIBs, but with the same creamy sweetness plus the hint of pepper/spice, which imparts in Stitzel-Weller wheat a unique rye-like quality, I think.

I think there is an argument, Tim, that Prime was the best of the S-W line. That was my firm conclusion when sampling them in the late 70's/early 80's - and I had bought most of the range then available including 1845 and the BIB. As you say, the Prime seemed to have certain subtleties, which probably was a result of its being under 100 proof (I think I liked the 90 proof the best) and not too young or too old. I recall it had, just as you said, a creamy sweetness, and I would add, peanut-brittle like. And, a peanut can have the faint bitter quality you mentioned especially if eaten freshly shelled.

Tasting with Randy Blank recently a OF 1849 from the early 1980's we were both struck how its profile really does (or did) differ from the other OFs. 1849 seems fruitier than these others, it must have been the selected profile for that brand. That fruit quality, rare in any S-W, is almost akin to what you find in WR. I think in technical terms it might be congeners not fully converted by aging - stock in other words that while well-aged still disclosed the fruity qualities of younger distillate.

Gary

I also heard the S-W described as "toffee nut" in character. There's definately a unique nose and palate to the S-W bourbon's. I have some of the older BIB's, Prime 90 and Prime 80. I recently opened the Prime 80 and was surprised I liked it as much as I did because of the lower proof. I haven't opened up the Prime 90 yet so am looking forward to doing a comparison when I do. My Prime 90's are early 80's bottlings and the 80 is a 1992 bottling. I have two 1.75 Prime 90's but can't determine the year....the UPC is 88508 though.

Thanks and you know it may have been (I now think it was) the Prime 80 that I liked best. It seemed to bring out the character of the toffee more. I recall using a dilution formula (this around 1980) to get the 90 to 80 and the BIB too and still thinking the 80 from the bottle was best, this might have been (as I only learned in recent years) because for some distilleries, their higher proof products contain whiskey of different ages than for the lower proof ones (this has been true I understand e.g. of VOB).

So on rethinking it, I think the Prime 80 was in fact my favourite iteration at that time. It might have been the 90, but I don't think so. Today, I'd be on bended knee to get any of them. :) And by the way the 1849 is really good, just different.

Gary

The Old Fitz Prime came in a lot of ages and proofs. Here's a pic of a "Prime Straight" aged 8 years at 86.8 proof. This is probably my favorite bottle of '70's era Old Fitz I've had (with the exception of those hard to find VOF's).

post-379-14489813217957_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!