What are you drinking tonight? (Summer '07)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started early today with 8 yr Old Fitz 1849 and ginger ale while I tended the grill. Then moved on to a pour of WT 12 split label. Then a mid-80's Old Grand-Dad Bonded. Today I found the OGD preferable to the WT 12. Had more depth to the flavor, just a whole lot happening in the taste. Had to have another small one. Finally, mixed myself and three guests arguably heretical, tip-top shelf Manhattans: 1 1/2 oz Old Fitz 1849, 1/2 oz Willetts!!, 1/2 oz Carpano Antica, dash of Angostura, dash of Fee's Orange Bitters, garnished with a flamed lemon twist. An absolutely perfect cocktail!

-Mike

WT:KS. The bottle is from 2001 and has one of those nice pewter tops. Much to my disappointment the cork broke when I was pulling it out. Only a small piece fell into the bottle and I was able to get it out and clean off the inside of the neck were some was stuck, almost glued. Luckily I never throw away my corks and had a wooden replacement from a previous bottle. The pewter top is quite nice, pretty heavy (over 6x heavier!), but useless with the broken cork on it. As for the bourbon itself, tastes great! I guess that's all that really matters. :)

I awoke yesterday (Friday) at 9 a.m., and walked four miles to monitor progress on my car being repaired after an earlier vacation accident in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Without going into detail, I muddled away about the worst ordinary day of my life until the car was finally available at midnight EDT. I was due at work at noon CDT today (Saturday). I made it -- with a 1-hour, fitful 'siesta' in the Augusta, GA, welcome-center rest area, which I left when I discovered the restroom cannot be accessed after hours.

I worked 9 hours today at the liquor-store job. At present, I'm working on 38+ hours of sleeplessness, having just downed a 750ml of Belgian ale with some American cheese slices (that was supper!). And, oddly, I'm as alert as if I were well-rested and leisurely.

I figure I'm delerious -- no bourbon for me, I'm going to bed!

Tonight I am having an OGD BIB 100 (probably a recent bottling, my guess, I just bought it last week) to accompany the La Aurora Preferido Cameroon I am smoking. This bourbon is very good with this cigar. I do not know much about flavor profiles yet, but am thinking this combination is producing a cinamon red-hot candy flavor. My first taste of OGD BIB, I really enjoy the 114 also. Very nice!!!

Starting off with a small pour of WLW '06. I think I will keep it going with the BTAC and go with Stagg next..

...I do not know much about flavor profiles yet, but am thinking this combination is producing a cinamon red-hot candy flavor. My first taste of OGD BIB, I really enjoy the 114 also. Very nice!!!

Seems like you 'get' the flavor profile just fine. Remarkably, it's one that has lasted with great consistency over many years:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=92355#post92355

A WT RB Manhattan. On the rocks. I built it in the glass, didn't feel like dirtying the shaker etc. And then it's bedtime for Bonzo.

Last night, I sat out with a couple of my neighbors for a drink and some music at about 10:30, after the kiddies were in bed. Started out with a Unibroue, a Canadian Belgian style ale. However, the talk turned to spirits. We alternated between Pappy 20 and 23, finishing off my first bottle of 23. We also dented a fresh bottle of GT Stagg. Oh, and a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock was also consumed. When the sky started to lighten up, around 5 am, we called it a great night and hit the hay. Gotta say, today wasn't too productive.

Enjoying a pour of Old Rip Van Winkle, 10 year, 107 proof, Frankfort, bottle# A1918. :cool:

Simply a fantastic whiskey!

~tp

Two pours of WT Rye, finishing off the bottle. Time to open something new tomorrow night...

Opened my first bottle of Pappy 15 to pair with a 5 Vegas "A" Apostle... the cigar is a little overpowering for this pour. I will have to have another when the stogie is gone....:grin:

Started with a Rittenhouse Rye 100 Manhattan then a Saz Jr followed by a Saz 18. A very pleasant and relaxing night.

bj

WT Rare Breed,

we always seem to talk about the $15-$20 bottles being good buys for the money. But RB at $32 is like the Corvette of bourbon. Sure there are barrel proof bourbons, at the $50 range (ie.. porsche, viper, mercedes) but, at $3?.00 RareBreed is the best bang for the buck, for its class. It could easily cost $45-$50 and nobody would complain.....

WT Rare Breed,

we always seem to talk about the $15-$20 bottles being good buys for the money. But RB at $32 is like the Corvette of bourbon. Sure there are barrel proof bourbons, at the $50 range (ie.. porsche, viper, mercedes) but, at $3?.00 RareBreed is the best bang for the buck, for its class. It could easily cost $45-$50 and nobody would complain.....

Or, the 350Z of bourbon - that's a whole lotta bang for the buck!:cool:

~tp

Tp,

350z = Eagle Rare single barrel

Nice pour, well-rounded, good for the $$, and gets you in the ring. But not as in your face as RB, small block, rear wheel drive, hp & tq ( 108 proof )

Maybe I should start a car = bourbon thread like :

Hirsh 16 = 911

GTS = Viper

ETL = WRX

WT 101 = Mustang GT

Handy Rye = Gt500

and so on and so forth..........

WT Rare Breed,

Even better when I can find it just below $30.00. I have feeling that those days may be gone in SoCal...we had it for a long time.

Reached for some bourbon from my cabinet and knocked over a bottle of Very Old Barton, which then shattered on the floor. The house smells nice, but what a mess. Not to mention the bourbon stripped the finish off the wood floor. Not good.

After cleaning up I was hot and sweaty - it's still Africa hot and sauna humid here in Virginia, and the AC struggles to keep up. So I did something I never do - poured some whiskey over an ice cube. I used some baby Saz for the experiment.

I must say, it was interesting. It really mellows out, although too much flavor is lost IMO. Still, it was a not-unpleasant change and the coolness was just right.

It's very hot here. When it's hot, I like to drink whiskey over ice. BT and JB black taste very nice over ice so... that's about what it will be for the next couple months. Cheers!

Yep, mine over ice to in this blasted heat wave.

That would be Old Grand-Dad 114.

Hot or not hot, I always drink mine on ice. Tonight I am having several large pours of Gold Wax Hirsch 16. I'm celebrating my promotion to Vice President of my company tonight. Gotta love the Hirsch.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!