Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Talking about the numbering, is this not the 2nd year in a row that we have seen the "B's"? I was expecting "C" this year but have only found B.

Talking about the numbering, is this not the 2nd year in a row that we have seen the "B's"? I was expecting "C" this year but have only found B.

It would be interesting to learn how high the numbers go for each letter series. A recent VWFRR acquisition is numbered: B45XX.

I'm curious how high the 'A' series went before going to the current 'B' series.

It would be interesting to learn how high the numbers go for each letter series. A recent VWFRR acquisition is numbered: B45XX.

I'm curious how high the 'A' series went before going to the current 'B' series.

I have picked up these off & on for years and seem to recall Julian posting something in the past in this regard. If memory serves me correct, I believe he commented that their bottle numbering followed no particular pattern, rhyme or reason. However, someone else will probably be able to provide more precise info I'm sure.

Seems kinda like so much other 'data' and info coming out of VW....fuzzy at best.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there conclusive evidence about the source of the current VWFRR "B" bottling?

I don't know the exact location of the threads, but, there are many previous postings in re to this question. A search will yield more info if desired.

In a nutshell, it is a mix of old COK & Medley stock distilled in the 80s, eventually tanked at 18-19 years of age by Julian to stop the aging process, and now released in regular annual intervals in a set number of bottles as directed by VW until the newer BT stock hits 13 years of age.

In my experience, this is by far the hardest of the Van Winkle family to find. I've been fortunate to grab a handful of the age designates, but haven't seen/heard of a bottle of VWFR for sale.

I still can't believe in November when a store asked me if I wanted a Rye to go along with my order of a 12 and 15, I said no thanks. Then I read about how great it is and how hard it is to get...

Oh well :( I won't be making that mistake next time!

I still can't believe in November when a store asked me if I wanted a Rye to go along with my order of a 12 and 15, I said no thanks.

Ouch, that's a newbie mistake you'll never make again. :bigeyes: Then again that's why there used to be some VW rye on the shelves in some states. People heard about Pappy and didn't care about the rye. Sadly, I'm afraid those days are long gone. :cry:

I'm very new to the bourbon game, but I lucked out and found one of these tonight, #B84**. Last one in the store.

My first bottle of any Van Winkle. Woo!

Such a delicious color, can't wait to try it.

I killed my own on the trip to the distilleries. Killed a buddy's bottle (at his request/ with his help) as well.

Strange thing. SC didn't get any VWFRR in the initial shipment. VW said it was a labeling issue. I put my name in at all the stores that carry it and said call me when it comes in. Last week one called and they got a case so I went out and bought 4 bottles at about $60 each. Now they are all calling and each has a case or more. One said sales drop off dramatically after Xmas. Hmmm...

• 2 weeks later...
Strange thing. SC didn't get any VWFRR in the initial shipment. VW said it was a labeling issue. I put my name in at all the stores that carry it and said call me when it comes in. Last week one called and they got a case so I went out and bought 4 bottles at about $60 each. Now they are all calling and each has a case or more. One said sales drop off dramatically after Xmas. Hmmm...

While I was in Columbia for Christmas I was shocked to find a store with SIX(6!) bottles of the VWFRR. They said they had just come in that week. I had been on their list but they never called me. Unfortunately, I was limited to 2 bottles by the boss or I would have bought them all. I know when I finally get back to Columbia, they will be gone (probably already are).

Sadly, I still can't find any here in Atlanta.

Georgia got 16 bottles of rye this past allocation. 1 went to the bunker. As for the Other 15?

I've never even seen a bottle on the shelf, but did try it for the first time the other night at a bar. Makes me want to find a bottle even more!:grin:

After being shut out during the most recent release I was able to get my hands on 3 bottles yesterday, all B46**. All are going into the bunker for now, I have way too stuff open and need to work through some of it before I go opening more.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have an extra bottle they would like to trade or "trade?" Still have never seen a single bottle on the shelf except at local bar. :smiley_acbt:

Since it was recently announced that the rye would not be part of the spring release, it worries me that we are getting close to the end of this stuff. I am shocked that Julian isn't charging more than 45$ wholesale in GA.

Well, I struck gold at a liquor store who was on the list of Pappy retailers about 15 minutes from my office. $70 seemed fair since I won't find another bottle on the shelf for quite some time.

AlyweceCIAAcxnh.jpg

• 3 months later...

Do the older bottling of the VWFRR lack the small back label like the current bottlings? I came across a C series with no back label and it struck me as a bit funny. The front label also had a lot of glue residue around it, looked pretty sloppy when compared to other bottles I have had. Additionally, there was no laser code on the bottle, but I am assuming this did not come until later when bottled at BT.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.