Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought VWFRR was a mixture of Cream Of Kentucky Rye and Medley Rye. Were either of these produced at Old Bernheim??

Joe :usflag:

I don't know that it was ever a mixture. It started out as the Medley, made in Owensboro, then switched to the COK when the Medley ran out. The COK was made at old Bernheim in 1987.

I don't know that it was ever a mixture. It started out as the Medley, made in Owensboro, then switched to the COK when the Medley ran out. The COK was made at old Bernheim in 1987.

Chuck,

This is the first I've known about the provenance of this sometimes-fine bottling.

Is it possible to correlate the switch in juice to the three (at my last count) bottlings? As you may recall, I missed the first one, loved the second and didn't much like the third.

I recently discovered that I still have an unopened bottle of the gold foil -- after two previous attempts to clear it out of my collection. Heck, if it weren't a felony, I'd just as soon ship it to The Gazebo and let y'all drink a toast to me. :grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Chuck,

This is the first I've known about the provenance of this sometimes-fine bottling.

Is it possible to correlate the switch in juice to the three (at my last count) bottlings? As you may recall, I missed the first one, loved the second and didn't much like the third.

I recently discovered that I still have an unopened bottle of the gold foil -- after two previous attempts to clear it out of my collection. Heck, if it weren't a felony, I'd just as soon ship it to The Gazebo and let y'all drink a toast to me. :grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave, it sounds to me like you're talking about Hirsch 16.

And, lest any whippersnapper think that you wouldn't know the difference, I submit this chestnut that you authored in the early days of the forum

And, to edit a second time, I believe you had a Hirsch bottling of Van Winkle rye at one time, as well.

I've had it in my head that the Medley was mixed with the COK, but I cannot find evidence to that and can't recall where I heard it now. I'll keep searching.

Ah ha! Here this thread http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11744&highlight=tanked Thanks to Timothy of course for cataloging all this info!

Originally from this thread:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627&page=2&highlight=marriage

"Yep-that sounds correct. S/W never distilled any rye for me or anybody. The present rye in the F & G bottles is a marriage of two different rye distillations. We hope to continue bottling the presently tanked rye for another 11 years, unless it starts going south in the tank.

We hope to start bottling BT rye in about 11 years.

Julian"

Let's hope somebody has some rye in the pipeline shooting for a 10+ year old expression sometime soon. I hope, I hope, I hope.

The optimist in me does say that something rye-ey is coming soon...

We hope to start bottling BT rye in about 11 years.

Julian"

According to my math, that means 2017. Not soon enough in my book. You'd think there's something out there. I still don't get it, that Sam's had a 10 yr of Saz Jr. and yet there's no more such bottlings (commercial or private) out there to meet our demands.

I'm wondering if all or most of the 10+ y.o. rye is being held for utra-premium bottles, like 20+ year olds.

Dave, it sounds to me like you're talking about Hirsch 16.

And, lest any whippersnapper think that you wouldn't know the difference, I submit this chestnut that you authored in the early days of the forum

And, to edit a second time, I believe you had a Hirsch bottling of Van Winkle rye at one time, as well.

Ah, yes! The the gold foil bottling of Hirsch 16 had not occurred when I made that comparison. The bottling I referred to there was the gold wax.

Right you are regarding my confusion. :blush:

I'm afraid one drink a month isn't sufficient to refresh memories acquired during the last decade or so. :crazy:

I've never had a less than stellar bottle with the words "Van Winkle" on it.

I haven't had my July drink yet. I think it's gonna be one of the Van Winkles. :yum:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

The optimist in me does say that something rye-ey is coming soon...

According to my math, that means 2017. Not soon enough in my book. You'd think there's something out there. I still don't get it, that Sam's had a 10 yr of Saz Jr. and yet there's no more such bottlings (commercial or private) out there to meet our demands.

I'm wondering if all or most of the 10+ y.o. rye is being held for utra-premium bottles, like 20+ year olds.

Lear, what I am hoping is that when Julian joined BT they distilled some Rye using a mashbill different than Saz Jr/Handy. Or a different yeast, either way something different that would get them closer to the flavor profile of the original Medley Rye/COK Rye because I think we all can agree that however great the Saz Jr is, the flavor is very different from Medley/COK VW Rye.

Where can I get this in San Diego? I've only ever seen 1 bottle, that I bought, and it was several years back!

Hidden
Where can I get this in San Diego? I've only ever seen 1 bottle, that I bought, and it was several years back!

It may still only be available in Virginia. No word on a national rollout that I've seen.

Roger

• 1 month later...

Any idea when this is going to be released in 2010? The last 2 years have been a big mystery as to when it's hitting shelves.

I'd love to know so I could be sure to get some.

Any idea when this is going to be released in 2010? The last 2 years have been a big mystery as to when it's hitting shelves.

From the man himself:

"We usually ship our larger allocation in September/October each year. We also ship a smaller allocation out in mid-March.

What we ship of each age each year depends upon how many barrels we happen to have available each year. The amounts will vary from year to year.

I would say an average would be about 500 cases of each age each year.

Thanks very much for your business."

Regards,

Julian Van Winkle

Thanks all and good idea going to the man Captain.

I'll just keep stalking. I'm still haunted by an opportunity 2 years ago I had to buy a case right when I got into this hobby. I messed around for a few weeks then my opportunity was gone. It was the old 'if I knew then what I knew now' situation that I of course botched.

I have 4 or 5 in the bunker but it just does not seem like enough.

I still can't find any of this around town and have been to a bunch of the stores that usually have large inventories. Any MI hounds got any suggestions?

The VWFRR is definitely tricky to find, at least around here. But I did snag one on Monday for $40 and still have two in the bunker. Hooray!

I'd love to find one for $40. I knew a place that used to have it for $40 but in the last year it's gone from $40 to $44 to $49 to $58.

I'd love to find one for $40. I knew a place that used to have it for $40 but in the last year it's gone from $40 to $44 to $49 to $58.

That is the case with all Van Winkle bottles that I have seen. Not just the Rye.

I was going to bunker a few when it was $44 but I figured there was no hurry. I was way off the mark. I did buy a few for $58 but I'm not sure how much higher I'd go and I hope the other bottlings don't follow suit.

I know that some retailers really jack up the prices on some bottlings and will see the same bottle go between $40 and $80 or $80 to $130 for something like PVW20. This is when it's time to retreat to the bunker.

Keep your overpriced whiskey...I have enough to last for some time.

Keep your overpriced whiskey...I have enough to last for some time.

You do mean "a lifetime," right Tommy?:lol: I was lucky on the $40 VWFRR. The price hadn't changed since the last time I was in this store which was before the tax increase in Illinois last September. It was actually tucked away a bit on the shelf and was no doubt overlooked somehow when they re-priced everything last year. I drink this juice slowly to conserve it, usually in rotation with T. Handy Sazerac and Michter's 10 which I also really enjoy, so I'm pretty well set now on my top shelf ryes. (I've got a few of the other two bunkered as well.)

I only have one left and no chance of getting any more now that I'm in Canada. I promised myself I wouldn't open it until I get another... and I do look longingly at it. UncleBunk, is the Michter 10 really good?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.