Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Do the older bottling of the VWFRR lack the small back label like the current bottlings? I came across a C series with no back label and it struck me as a bit funny. The front label also had a lot of glue residue around it, looked pretty sloppy when compared to other bottles I have had. Additionally, there was no laser code on the bottle, but I am assuming this did not come until later when bottled at BT.

Label could have fell off, I have one that the front label is barely holding on by a small dab of glue. Looking at it, there was hardly any glue on the thing. I've had some others that had spotty quality in labeling.

B

Do the older bottling of the VWFRR lack the small back label like the current bottlings? I came across a C series with no back label and it struck me as a bit funny. The front label also had a lot of glue residue around it, looked pretty sloppy when compared to other bottles I have had. Additionally, there was no laser code on the bottle, but I am assuming this did not come until later when bottled at BT.

Sounds like the old lettering series before they started over again.

Yeah, it would have to be. The bottles I picked up this year had a B label. The bottle would appear to have been from around 2001. If legit, this would mean it is 16 year Medley.

I have a few VWFRR where the labels (front especially) look like they were put on by a glue stick. A few of the labels were re-affixed w/ Scotch tape. In fact, a couple bottles of VWFRR I've seen at Twisted Spoke also have Scotch tape on the labels.

I emailed a photo of my glue stick bottle to Julian and he emailed the following day explaining they had some issues with label affixing a couple years back. These seem to be 2009ish bottles.

Yeah, it would have to be. The bottles I picked up this year had a B label. The bottle would appear to have been from around 2001. If legit, this would mean it is 16 year Medley.

Your bottle may be one of the newer ones. Picked up several "B" bottles after BT went back to the beginning of the alphabet.

Boozer, you are exactly right about the lettering - the way I worded my post was very confusing. The bottles from this year are the reused series B, which is the latest. There is no reused series C yet. This means the bottle without the rear label, if legit, would have to be from around 2001.

Hidden
Boozer, you are exactly right about the lettering - the way I worded my post was very confusing. The bottles from this year are the reused series B, which is the latest. There is no reused series C yet. This means the bottle without the rear label, if legit, would have to be from around 2001.

Does it say Lawrenceburg? If so it is definitely a pre vatting bottling. I have a "C" bottle from Lawrenceburg. I don't know if they are all that way or not. If those are from '01 I guess that would be another case of label run over. Fyi, this bottle does have 2 stickers on the back. There is a govt warning and a small bar code sticker that says 13 yr 95.6. They are different than what is on the back of the newer bottles.

post-6196-14489817998637_thumb.jpg

Does the label say Frankfort or Lawrenceburg? If you have a Lawrenceburg it is definitely an older bottle. I have a "C" bottle from L'burg (I guess this is a case of label run over if it is in fact from 2001). It has a govt warning sticker on the back and a small ball code. The back stickers are different than what is on the current bottles. This bottle also came with a hangtag that had a small plastic bag with some rye grain stapled to it.

According to recent interviews with Julian the rye is still tanked medley/COK

According to recent interviews with Julian the rye is still tanked medley/COK

Yeah, again the way I phrased that paragraph was poor and made it a bit confusing - I blame the WT101 I was sipping on! The bottles that were available this year were the B "2.0" series. You are exactly right that this was tanked Medley/CoK that is probably 18-19 years old. As of now, the C series has only been used once and that was around 2001 or so (although I would expect a new C series shows up this Fall). This is a different whiskey and is thought to be a pre-tanked and younger Medley of around 16 years of age. It sounds like people that have had it say it tastes a bit different from the newer stuff.

Bradley, that C series bottle label said it was from Frankfort, not Lawrenceburg.

Having some for father's day. Tell me, is there a better American Whiskey?? Of current releases, I'm not sure.

• 4 months later...

Can't find it now so I put it here but I seem to recall reading recently that someone speculated that VWFRR tasted different now than it did in older bottlings and that perhaps BT was "supplementing" what is in the tank with other BT rye. Anybody else recall that or remember reading a recent post about that?

Since the label says 13yo rye I presume anything added, if it were in fact true, would have to be at least 13yo rye, correct? Does BT even have any 13yo rye in the warehouse? If so, wouldn't it be most likely intended for the replacement of Saz 18? Although I would suppose they would be working on a replacement for the VWFRR as well? Most likely the same stuff?

Here is a recent one by TimD:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18670

Another by StraightNoChaser:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=293565

I'm interested in this subject also as this is the first year I've been able to source VWFRR.

Thanks. The first one was the one I was trying to locate. The second link also helps remind me that the last report we have on VWFRR was that it was still the same stuff according to those who should know (which doesn't necessarily mean it is I suppose).

I know Winkle World is always a hot button topic but it was a curiosity that at least some thought the rye had changed over time. I suppose tank life ain't all it's cracked up to be and perhaps that alone could be having an impact on the taste profile.

That said, what I have had in the past was delightful and I would likely still buy a bottle or three given the opportunity.

Looking for a little insight.

In January 2012 I purchased two bottles of VWFRR while in England. Bottle has an "A" code. Frankfort, KY.

In November 2011 I purchased a bottle of VWFRR in the US. Bottle has an "B" code. Frankfort, KY.

I know it is silly to try and determine the meaning behind the VW bottle numbers but the differences between the two bottles is pretty staggering.

The VWFRR (A bottle) from England has a weird chemical after taste to it. The VWFRR (B bottle) from the US has a taste that matches what I've had at various bars over the past few years.

Anybody notice a big difference between A and B bottles? Could the shipping to Europe mess with the contents? Was last years bottling part of new stock?

Not trying to stir up anything, just looking for feedback.

Curious how the new "C" stacks up.

That WhiskyWonka blog made it seem like the 2011 was better - I wonder why that is.

Edited by ChainWhip

If you want to try your 'C' next to last years 'B', let me know and we can arrange a tasting.

You got it - I mule it back from my brother's in mid January.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed (or maybe I have a weird bottle) that this years C bottling now has a Buffalo Trace bottle stamp while last years B bottling did not have a stamp at all?

my C2733 bottle has B1210910:03M on it

I know there's some way to translate those stamps. How does that one break down? I'll have to check my bottle to see what the stamp on it says....

Has anyone noticed (or maybe I have a weird bottle) that this years C bottling now has a Buffalo Trace bottle stamp while last years B bottling did not have a stamp at all?

my C2733 bottle has B1210910:03M on it

I thought it broke down as 12 = 2012 109 = 109th day 10:03 = 10:03am dont know what the letters mean though.

Tico - That could be possible, I tried to look through with a light but didnt see anything. did think it was weird that it wouldnt have one.

I thought it broke down as 12 = 2012 109 = 109th day 10:03 = 10:03am dont know what the letters mean though.

Tico - That could be possible, I tried to look through with a light but didnt see anything. did think it was weird that it wouldnt have one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.