Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a bottle from 2008 that has a code. Wonder what was different in 2011.

It was probably a machine malfunction or a mistake by the person operating it.

Amazing service from a local store who kept my name on a list - woo hoo!

Its nice when a retailer honors their lists. Nice score indeed. Enjoy what is arguably one of the more elusive expressions in the VW line.

Congrats! I had the same thing happen to me. I put my name on a list back during the spring and a couple weeks ago they called me and told me that I had won the "Pappy Lottery". I'm thinking, "hell yeah"! They gave me a choice of ORVW 10 yr, VWFR Lot B, or the VWFR. To me it was a no-brainer and the rye was my pick. I couldn't believe no one else picked it since I was the 8th person on the list. Needless to say, that store has won my business for years to come.

I think the rye is not on most folks rader. It doesn't say pappy in the name and rye is still a cult following in most places.

I think it tastes nothing like a rye and an amazing flavor unlike anything else I've ever had

A local store told me that the hardest score was the rye. Comparatively, rye is hot these days, but not everybody is interested in it.

I remember when the Rye sat on the shelves year round, seems like it has always been the neglected one. It's actually my pick of the bunch.

Amazing service from a local store who kept my name on a list - woo hoo!

Glad to see when the honor's system works and a store truly comes through,I managed a rye and several other VW products this same way.I always give these chosen stores my business time and time again for this very reason.

I was able to find the rye as well and the stores that took care of me will get a lot of business from me.

The other stores that I've bought VW from in the past (along with a lot of other bottles) were useless.

I would have been happy if they said it's all spoken for but they lied or ignored and won't be getting my $$ in the future.

1) I can't believe this is it's own thread

2) In NYC, Pappy 15 is the most difficult to find. I think I've been able to find/buy two bottles of the Rye for every PVW15.

3) Thinking of giving some whiskey as a Christmas gift. Would you rather receive a Lot B or a WLW?

I was able to find the rye as well and the stores that took care of me will get a lot of business from me.

The other stores that I've bought VW from in the past (along with a lot of other bottles) were useless.

I would have been happy if they said it's all spoken for but they lied or ignored and won't be getting my $$ in the future.

I'm with you on this one. Two local stores have earned my business by communicating with me and being up front when they do so. The others won't see me again.

3) Thinking of giving some whiskey as a Christmas gift. Would you rather receive a Lot B or a WLW?

WLW gets my vote. I can water it down on my own. :grin:

Well, color me surprised! After getting the opportunity to buy the one bottle of Jeff Ocean that made it to my favorite store I knew and accepted I was moving down to the bottom of the list for both BTAC and VW this year, especially given how limited allocations seemed to be.

But I still managed to pick up a 2012 WLW from them a while back when one bottle went unclaimed and now I get word that a bottle of VWFRR is available and has my name on it. Adding in the generosity of a fellow SBer in helping me acquire a PVW20 from a different source at roughly retail cost and it has been a pretty decent fall after all!

I don't know if this the secret password to join club or not, but I obtained my first bottle of this. My mom was able to get it at a store in another state. She knows the owner, and he had one in the back he sold her. Don't you just love mothers. The bottle is a "C" bottle with the BT stamp on it so I'm assuming it's pretty recent. I'd like to pop it open, but I have a ton of other stuff open and lots of stuff in the queue. So I think I'll just tuck it away for a bit...my preciousssss.

I'm so sick from not being able to find even 1 bottle this year that I just can't even bring myself to talk about it anymore....:smil41df29a15fb35:

• 2 weeks later...

VWFRRBvsC_zps5246e468.jpg

Afraid to crack open that precious bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye? Not me! The other night CaptainQ and I put the VWFRR B and C bottlings head to head. I also did it again this afternoon to ensure my palate did not change; the results were the same. While close, there were differences in the bottlings. The C bottle was open about a week prior to this tasting and the B bottle was open about three weeks, I do not think oxidation was a factor.

Color: The color is exactly the same – they are both a nice dark russet color.

Nose: The difference on the nose of these two releases was the first thing that tipped me there might be some differences. While the profiles were close, the difference was in how much more open and fragrant the B bottling was. The B bottle had a lot of tobacco and wood scent in the mix, really outstanding. In comparison, the C bottling was much more subdued and closed; it did not quite inspire the wow factor that the B did.

Palate: The B bottling packed a stellar amount of creeping rye spice and a little of that rough around the edges characteristic I appreciate in a good rye. The C bottling was a bit smoother overall, which some might appreciate. The C lacked some of the spiciness of the B, but it showed a touch more sweetness in the form of noticeable dark fruit characteristics. VWFRR is known for being quite creamy, and they both faired well in that regard, neither one seemed hotter or thinner than the other.

Finish: The B bottling had an impeccable finish with the spice fading to wood and a hint of dark cherry. For me, the finish on the C bottling had more “green wood” taste to it than the B - the C seemed a touch more bitter.

Overall, the B bottle gets my nod. However, I have to stress that the differences, while present, are subtle - unless the two were had at the same sitting, it would be nearly impossible to tell. While I did not think tanked whiskey changed enough to be noticeable, apparently it does. I think a future tasting will involve a couple different years of Saz18 to see if I pick up differences there too.

Edited by p_elliott
At Lostbottle's request

VWFRRBvsC_zps5246e468.jpg

Afraid to crack open that precious bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye? Not me! The other night CaptainQ I put the VWFRR B and C bottlings head to head. I also did it again this afternoon to ensure my palate did not change; the results were the same. While close, there were differences in the bottlings. The C bottle was open about a week prior to this tasting and the B bottle was open about three weeks, I do not think oxidation was a factor.

Color: The color is exactly the same – they are both a nice dark russet color.

Nose: The difference on the nose of these two releases was the first thing that tipped me there might be some differences. While the profiles were close, the difference was in how much more open and fragrant the B bottling was. The B bottle had a lot of tobacco and wood scent in the mix, really outstanding. In comparison, the C bottling was much more subdued and closed; it did not quite inspire the wow factor that the B did.

Palate: The B bottling packed a stellar amount of creeping rye spice and a little of that rough around the edges characteristic I appreciate in a good rye. The C bottling was a bit smoother overall, which some might appreciate. The C lacked some of the spiciness of the B, but it showed a touch more sweetness in the form of noticeable dark fruit characteristics. VWFRR is known for being quite creamy, and they both faired well in that regard, neither one seemed hotter or thinner than the other.

Finish: The B bottling had an impeccable finish with the spice fading to wood and a hint of dark cherry. For me, the finish on the C bottling had more “green wood†taste to it than the B - the C seemed a touch more bitter.

Overall, the B bottle gets my nod. However, I have to stress that the differences, while present, are subtle - unless the two were had at the same sitting, it would be nearly impossible to tell. While I did not think tanked whiskey changed enough to be noticeable, apparently it does. I think a future tasting will involve a couple different years of Saz18 to see if I pick up differences there too.

A very educational SBS of 'B' and 'C'. Sounds like the 'B' bottling may have benefited from a little air time? Great to see the distinguished palate of "The Capt'n" present! :grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.