Four Roses Salutes Rutledge with "Barrel Strength" Limited-Edition Bourbon

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In September, during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival, Four Roses will release a new, limited-edition, single barrel bourbon in honor of Master Distiller Jim Rutledge's 40th anniversary in the industry. Only 1,700 bottles will be filled. Each will be hand-numbered. The bourbon will be 13 1/2 years old, bottled uncut and unfiltered. The proof will be 104.2. Right now, at least, they're calling it simply Four Roses Barrel Strength.

As a single barrel, this represents just one of Four Rose's ten "flavors." They haven't said yet which one. This also will be the oldest Four Roses product on the market, at least here in the US. I haven't seen final packaging yet, so I don't know if there's going to be an age statement on the label, but they're saying 13.5. No Four Roses product, at least none sold in the US, carries an age statement.

I have tasted it. It's very good, as you might expect, and is well-balanced as you expect of anything from Four Roses. Surprisingly, considering its age, there is very little taste of char, none of soot, and none of the astringency that is expected from something this old. It is on the dry side, showing a lot of spice. I'll go out on a limb and guess it's the high rye mash bill and "spicy" yeast.

Since Four Roses is only sold in Kentucky and metro New York, those are the only markets that will get the Barrel Strength product.

Rutledge, by the way, isn't retiring or anything. They're just marking the 40-year milestone.

Here's an interesting fact from the press release. Four Roses sales in its two US markets has doubled each year since the brand's reintroduction in 2002.

I've been really looking forward to the announcement from Four Roses; it has seemed almost too good to be true.

Hey moderators - will the press release be placed up in the "Industry News" forum? I'll be interested to see if it'll be a Kentucky only release, or if all states in their distribution will get it.

Roger

I had an email from FR this morning about this...it doesn't say specifically that it won't be everywhere, but 1500 bottles won't go far...remember Wt Tribute was just under 5000...how hard was that to find?

That is a point that I was going to make. I don't think it will make it to many shelves even in the KY and NY metro markets either.

Jim Rutledge assured me that there will be an allocation to the NYC area when this product is released. I'll definitely be following this up as I tasted it last weekend at the Mellow Moments event and thought it was FANTASTIC!

Mike

The Rutledge email today sounded like it will be available for tasting at the "Let's Talk Bourbon" event Sept. 14 at Four Roses, during the Festival. Might be a chance to taste it if you're attending the Fest, even if you aren't able to get a bottle.

Chuck, the 40th anniversary bottling is the 20% rye mashbill with the "O" yeast.

Very cool, I hope one of our group can snag one of these for Gazebo upcoming.

Gary

Can't think of anything I have been more anxious to taste!

Chuck, the 40th anniversary bottling is the 20% rye mashbill with the "O" yeast.

Hummm. I guess more tasting is required.

The thing about these "limited editions" is that they are toes in the water for the companies. They're trying to figure out what the magic numbers are. Sure, 1,700 doesn't sound like much, but that's for two markets whereas Tribute and some of these other things have been national and even international, at least ostensibly. The best thing for us as enthusiasts is that when these small releases create a lot of buzz and sell out instantly, that emboldens the companies to do more of them.

Has anyone heard a suggested retail yet? My guess is it will be north of $50.

I gotta get me some of that! Awesome!

And then I'll be eagerly anticipating Parker's Heritage Collection!

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this site???:bowdown:

Scott

Hmmmm....I guess I'm SOL out here in Cali. We can't even pick up any Four Roses labels, I have 2 bottles I picked up my last time in Kentucky but that's not exactly convient.

A little off topic, but I am trying to get a bottle of the Four Roses Super Premium/Platinum, I know it is a Japan thing, but is it ever available in the US? Maybe from the distillery??

Cheers

Scott

Scott,

It is not available in the USA, or the Distillery. You may find an occasional bottle on E-Bay. That's where I got mine.

Joe :usflag:

• 4 weeks later...

With the new Four Roses Barrel Proof being available at this years KBF, it brings me to ask......Is there anyone going to the KBF that lives somewhere that you can ship alcohol from, that wouldn't mind picking me up 3 bottles of this bourbon, and then sending it to Australia? I can send payment prior to the festival.

If anyone can and is willing to help me, please PM me or drop me an email.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

I wouldn't mind a bottle, either, and would also be willing to pay in advance. I had thought I might make the KBF, but work and grad school aren't shaking out that way, I guess. So, if anyone wants to pick one up and bring/ship it to TX, PM me.

Four Roses has stopped taking reservations for the 40th FRBS. Looks like it will appearin stores near the KBF.

Jeff Mo.

• 2 weeks later...
With the new Four Roses Barrel Proof being available at this years KBF, it brings me to ask......Is there anyone going to the KBF that lives somewhere that you can ship alcohol from, that wouldn't mind picking me up 3 bottles of this bourbon, and then sending it to Australia? I can send payment prior to the festival.

If anyone can and is willing to help me, please PM me or drop me an email.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Maybe nobody wants to ship to Australia? I have a good friend that lives in Florida that could send it on to me, so with the KBF only days away from starting, is there anyone who would be willing to get me 3 bottles of this fine bourbon and ship them to Florida? Again, I can pay in advance!

Thanks

Scott

Three bottles may be next to impossible. I just talked to Yumiko at Four Roses. This bourbon is now on allotment and issued, only one bottle per person at the gift shop. Good luck getting three.

Too bad... Rutledge deserves this kind of recognition (a label bearing his name) that his peers have received)... He has done so much for the industry and to expand and enhance the $R brand.

Three bottles may be next to impossible. I just talked to Yumiko at Four Roses. This bourbon is now on allotment and issued, only one bottle per person at the gift shop. Good luck getting three.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.