Four Roses Salutes Rutledge with "Barrel Strength" Limited-Edition Bourbon

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So this wont be sold in NY? Only at the gift shop?

No, it is being sold in the only two US markets where any Four Roses is sold, which is Kentucky and New York.

Incidentally, for all of you who think all the best stuff is leaving the country, this is only being released in the USA.

Chuck, thanks for the info. Do you happen to know who the distributor or which stores may carry it or should I ask 4Roses?

Any retailer who currently has any Four Roses product likely will at least have the opportunity to buy some of the Barrel Strength. Same with distributors.

Hidden

Several stores I frequent were so happy to call me and tell me about a new bourbon product. They all asked how bottles they should get for me. This may be the first time that being a bourbon drinker in NY actually gets me first dibs on a new limited distribution bourbon. Thank You Four Roses!!!!!!

I have at least 1 up my sleeve at this point Bettye Jo.:cool:

I will find out tomorrow if I will get the other 2 I am chasing.

Many thanks to .......you know who you are!

Scott

I stopped by Toddy's last night to pick up some pourer's for the sample bottles to be used during the tasting.

I invited Guthrie to our tasting and started checking to see what he had on the shelf...He's well stocked with everything. I made a check list of all the stuff that folks ask for and he had it on the shelf! He also mentioned that he would have the new bottling for Rutledge. He asked me if I wanted one...

The barrel that he bought is there...a stack of cases as high as me!...I think it was 125 proof. He said if folks bought three the price would be $25 each...

Sooooooooooooooooo...Guthrie is well prepared :grin:

Many thanks to .......you know who you are!

Scott

I'm not going to make the festival this year. Had planned on it, but Trina and I are moving to Houston and just too much to do in getting house ready for sale and preparing for the move.

If anyone could pick me up a bottle of this Barrel Proof from 4 Roses, I will gladly repay and it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Looks like it's just the 1..... I'm sure I'll get over it.

I guess I should be thankful I'm getting any at all!

Scott

from the Party Source Newsletter (Bellevue, KY):

Four Roses Jim Rutledge Commemorative Edition

Four Roses has released a special commemorative bottling in honor of Master Distiller Jim Rutledge’s forty years in the Bourbon industry. Jim’s illustrious career began with Seagrams forty years ago, and today he oversees the rebirth of Four Roses, one of the greatest distilleries in America.

The Party Source is proud to sell this fine Bourbon, bottled uncut at full barrel proof and without chill filtration.

Friday, September 14 at 8:00 a.m.

Sales of the Jim Rutledge Commemorative Edition are limited to one (1) bottle per person. First come first served.

Four Roses Jim Rutledge Commemorative Edition

Size: 750ml

Price: $58.99

Limit: One (1) bottle per customer

Aisle Location: Case Central desk

I've grabbed three bottles here so far during the Festival. Very good stuff to say the least. Most interesting thing is the proof. Each bottle is from a different barrel and the proofs are as follows:

Barrel 15-1A 104.4 proof

Barrel 17-1B 99.4 proof

Barrel 17-1C 102.8 proof

Assuming the barrel entry proofs were considerably higher, then these barrels were located in a spot in the rickhouse where the proofs went down with ageing. Must have been a cool and damp place. They weren't stored in Scotland were they.:grin:

Randy

I've grabbed three bottles here so far during the Festival. Very good stuff to say the least. Most interesting thing is the proof. Each bottle is from a different barrel and the proofs are as follows:

Barrel 15-1A 104.4 proof

Barrel 17-1B 99.4 proof

Barrel 17-1C 102.8 proof

Assuming the barrel entry proofs were considerably higher, then these barrels were located in a spot in the rickhouse where the proofs went down with ageing. Must have been a cool and damp place. They weren't stored in Scotland were they.:grin:

Randy

Randy,

When in Cox’s Creek in September Mike (something) told me the barrels were filled at 120 proof and it was normal that the proof goes down slightly in the 6 barrels high warehouses. However 99.4 isn’t slightly to me.

Leif

Got a bottle from the Part Source (Bellevue, KY) this morning. They got eight cases.... either they are a BIG 4R customer or this stuff may not be as scarce as advertised.

Barrel 15-1A 104.4 proof

Barrel 17-1B 99.4 proof

Barrel 17-1C 102.8 proof

Randy

I picked up two so far, both Barrel 15-1C 104.6 proof...know another place tha has some will try there tomorrow for another barrel...

Looking to see if we can amass a list of all seen editions:

15-1A 104.4

17-1B 99.4

17-1C 102.8

15-1C 104.6

17-1D 102.2

17-1F 101.4

The last two picked up this morning.

If anyone has a bottling not listed, add it in...

Barrel 17-10 51.1% 377/1442

The Liquor Barn on Hurstbourn in Louisville had at least two cases out. They are selling them for $60.

Okay, but what I want to know is, has anybody tasted it? I saw Randy's note that it's good, but I want to know more.

Thoughts? Notes? Anyone else?

Ahh...I'm just jealous that I'm not there.:grin:

OK Tim.....I'll add a little commentary. On the nose, its completely consistent with FR SB. The initial taste is also consistent.......spicy with some floral notes coming over from the nose. The 13 1/2 years of age show up to me as additional weight and body.....and finally in a drier finish than their younger SB. I like it alot. I like the regular SB too. This is excellent whiskey.

Randy

Great! Thanks, Randy. Sounds like everyone had a good time, and that this bottling was worth the anticipation. Looking forward to more impressions.

Randy has pegged the palate (at least the one on the Gazebo table and I assume all are broadly the same).

I got two, both 15-1B like Tom's, not tasted yet.

I would say because they are "big" in character as opposed to regular FR Single Barrel, they are particularly good for drinking on the rocks. The regular FRSB is great but seems attuned more to neat or "cut" sampling.

Gary

Some of these are lower in proof than the standard single barrel. Is the standard single barrel bottled at a higher proof, or is it approximately a barrel strength product as well?

The standard single is 100 proof. With the younger whiskies used, they have enough barrels at > 100 proof to dilute to 100.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.