Four Roses Salutes Rutledge with "Barrel Strength" Limited-Edition Bourbon

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

All you guys getting it for ~$60 consider yourselves very lucky. I'm on a business trip out in Long Island and picked up two bottles of 151A for $80 each. (gulp!) I still consider myself lucky for finding some, just not very lucky considering the price. :) (Sorry I was not able to make it into Brooklyn Lenell, I would have rather gotten them from you!)

stopped by LeNell's for the first time yesterday , what a place. got the barrel strength, single barrel, small batch and regular as I've never had 4-roses before. Looking forward to to a nice sidexsidexsidexside tasting experiment

I am in Louisville and would like to know where i can get some..I did not see any in Liquor Barn yesterday..Anyone know another store to go to? Thanks

This afternnon there were several sitting on the shelf at the Party Source in Covington... if you are interested in making the drive.

So far we have bottles from:

151A 105 proof

151B 100.4 proof

151C 104.6 proof

171A 104.0 proof

171B 99.4 proof

171C 102.8 proof

171D 102.2 proof

171F 101.4 proof

171G 101.6 proof

So nobody has the 10th barrel yet to tell me what I'm missing!! ;);)

Dawn

Dawn

Dawn,

I'd have to think the missing barrel is 171E, proof unknown.

Joe :usflag:

Well OscarV and I sampled the 15-1C today...WOW!! This stuff is unbelievable. As said before the balance of sweet and spice is spectacular as only Jimmy Rutledge can do. Does anyone have his address? I think I'll send hime some flowers with 4 roses in the center :slappin: !

Great stuff!

Tony

Dawn,

I'd have to think the missing barrel is 171E, proof unknown.

Joe :usflag:

Joe....they could have skipped E....you know "E" is for Ewwwww:eek:

I almost got a shock when first tasting the 101.4version. Bunches of alcohol in both nose and taste. Almost impossible to drink neat but a bit better with water. I figured it needed oxidation and put it away for a couple of weeks. That did wonders. The alcohol was completely vanished and all of a sudden it tasted at its best neat. It’s very light overall as I see it and both the nose and taste are basically a fruit mix with maybe some bubblegum notes as well. Best part is defiantly the very long finish were the fruit also include peels (probably from the extra years in wood).

It was partly a disappointment and not really what I had expected but on the other hand it was very interesting and individual indeed.

Leif

I'm the proud owner of a 151B 100.4 proof bottle.

The cheeky bugger cost me nearly two months of bourbon budget at approx $140US.

This bottle will feature in our own "Four Roses Downunder Tasting" in the very near future.

:bowdown:A special thanks to the SB.com members who helped Scott and I aquire these bottles - you guys are awesome :bowdown:

So far we have bottles from:

151A 105 proof

151B 100.4 proof

151C 104.6 proof

171A 104.0 proof

171B 99.4 proof

171C 102.8 proof

171D 102.2 proof

171F 101.4 proof

171G 101.6 proof

Dawn

I have been checking into this and this is what my KY connections have told me and I quote,...

"There were two barrels which didn't get bottled or shall I say not sold at retail. They only tested at 87 proof. Four Roses gave them to their employees. I still might be able to get one. I am trying."

Sounds interesting.

Hidden

My recollection of what a little bird told me is that one barrel came in very low, and there wasn't much in it. By the time they quit messing around they got very few bottles, and those would be given to employees some time in the future.

It may have been two, but I remember one. I was sampling from a barrel at the time, so my recollection is suspect.

I was lucky enough today to get bottle(s) from 15-1B, 17-1C and 17-1G.

I also tasted at Bourbon's Bistro tonight the 15-1C which was way different than the bottle I have at home (thanks Dawn) from which barrel I cannot recall. What that made me realize is that these may not be quite as close in profile as all suspected, either that or my taster was off a note.

Bottom line, I was out of my shoes happy to be in Kentucky and getting some of this stuff I'd never see in person!:grin: :D

Had the chance to try 171D now, it's 51.1% ABV. It is quite similar to the first one I mentioned of slightly lower proof. Good, rich whiskey with notable spicy notes. I find consumed neat the wood is too forward (for me), but adding ice and maybe a little water brings it into its own.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Has Four Roses been spotted in Tennessee yet? I was reviewing my notes from Rutledge's "Let's Talk Bourbon" in September and he seemed to be saying that, at least initially, it would be in the Nashville and Chattanooga metros only. That may be wrong, as my note-taking frequently sucks, but I think that is what he said.

Has Four Roses been spotted in Tennessee yet? I was reviewing my notes from Rutledge's "Let's Talk Bourbon" in September and he seemed to be saying that, at least initially, it would be in the Nashville and Chattanooga metros only. That may be wrong, as my note-taking frequently sucks, but I think that is what he said.

I went into my nearest store last Wednesday in New Johnsonville, TN and found a sign that said "Four Roses is Back".

I picked up a bottle of Single Barrel and opened it on Thanksgiving. As I am new to this I can only say that I liked it. It is the first time I have ever seen Four Roses sold here. I paid $34.96 for the 750ml bottle.

I will probably go back and get a bottle of "Barrel Strength".

Has Four Roses been spotted in Tennessee yet?..

The basic Four Roses lineup -- yellow label, Small Batch, and Single Barrel -- began appearing in Middle Tennessee about a month ago. Distribution supply almost immediately ran out, but is since available in apparent larger quantities. Price seems to be a couple of dollars higher than Kentucky (plus sales tax, of course), which isn't too bad compared to some other brands.

I've walked a few people to them in our store during the couple of weeks it's been on the shelves, and we're maybe a third of the way through a mixed case. Will be interesting to see how many re-buy.

I saw the Single Barrel, Small Batch and yellow label at Jax's in downtown Chattanooga this month.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.