What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It was the 90 proof. I thought it was very refined and not quite as sweet as the antique. Similar profile though.

Joe :usflag:

It was the 90 proof. I thought it was very refined and not quite as sweet as the antique. Similar profile though.

Joe :usflag:

Thanks. Was curious since I've really enjoyed the Antique.

I had Bulleit Frontier Whiskey last night. Interesting pour, bottle, etc. Reminded me of EC 12yr some. I had never seen it myself and I was looking for something different. I liked it alright and am glad I got it but don't know that I'd get it again.

Does anyone keep track of what they get and thier thoughts other than making notes here? I mean like a bourbon journal or the like? I'm thinking I might do this and it could help develop my understanding and appreciation for bourbon, not that I don't appreciate the heck out of it....I would also like to have a chart or some type of visual reference for which bourbon comes from what distillery, what location, what age, blends, proof, etc. Anyone know of such a thing or how to go about it? ok, thanks

I'd encourage to use the search function on the site.

Bulleit (and there have been at least two iterations) has been tasted and rated by many here. Plus that way you would see a range of opinion which might guide you better. Just a suggestion.

I find Bulleit has a signature spicy note which I call "cinnamon red hots". Some bottles show it more than others, sometimes this trait lies more under a woody blanket, but it is always there. The brand is owned by an individual of that name and it is made for him (or last I heard) at Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg.

Gary

I have the day off (while workmen are installing a new furnace) and am using the time to further my comparison of the new 2007 WLW to Weller Centennial. Still can't notice much difference when the former is reduced in proof to approximate the latter.

Science is fun...

I to am off work, (an operation 2 weeks ago and now further complications).

I am comparing Old Weller Antique 107 and Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107, this is the result of another thread.

Yes jburlowski, science is fun, I like to think of this as data gathering for future reference.:grin:

Well I just got home from my B-day dinner and what fun I had. The restaurant had a fair bourbon selection. I started with the 1988 EWSB, pretty good and a healthy pour, Lamb Chops for dinner with the house brewed Imperial Stout (always great). After the meal a taste of Corner Creek (free) really liked it with some spice and light oak. My dessert pour was the OCPR 13 yr. Lville bottle, although smooth as silk i found it a bit bland really. Maybe I was overpowered by the rest of the evening...I hope cause I have a few of my own.

PS. The resaurant had all BHC except Dickle, Ezera Brooks 15yr. 1988 EWSB, McKenna BIB, Corner Creek, The small Batch collection, OGD 114, Dickle 12 yr. and a couple others I do not recall, Prices were fair.

Peace

Tony

I am drinking Weller Antique and it is so much better than PVW20. There is actually some complexity here at just seven years as oppossed to a very flat, one-dimensional flavor in the PVW20.

Long day at work followed by long nap afterwards has not left much time before it all starts over again. So, just a small pour of WTRB to warm the body before hitting the hay will do it for me this evening.

I am drinking Weller Antique and it is so much better than PVW20. There is actually some complexity here at just seven years as oppossed to a very flat, one-dimensional flavor in the PVW20.

Okay Mark,

Step away from the Pappy's. :shocked:

It sounds like you're going through a feisty young thing phase - don't fight it, bust out the young'uns and celebrate! :woohoo:

You can put Pappy away for a couple of months. He'll be there, waiting, with rewards quite different from the young bourbons when you're ready.

I recently went through a time where nothing satisfied like the raw power of the Willett's Young Bourbons. Night after night everything older seemed a bit bland or musty to my 'buds compared to the bright, tingly, even cedary-aroma in one case, Young Bourbons. Of course the Willett's young'uns are barrel proofers, but even Stagg, Willett's Old Rye and 4R Rutledge couldn't dethrone them while it was their time on the podium. Now it's their time to sit on the side for a bit.

Roger

Roger says it well, Mark. You may never come to claim Pappy 20 as a 'favorite', but set it aside awhile -- it'll grow on you. It's fine whiskey, and NOT one-dimensional -- unless that dimension is "tastes good".

Very fine points, Roger and Tim. Thanks for the advice and I certainly agree. We all go through our phases and right now very old wheated bourbon is not for me. Oh well, on to the young wheated bourbons and rye'd bourbons.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

Wild Turkey American Spirit. This stuff is awesome. A cube really opens it up.

Thanks again Oscar!

Scott

leaving work, i decided to check the Delaware stores for OGD 114 before i checked the PA stores (where on sale/closeout at $19.99 !)...

well, there it was in no-taxes Delaware for $19.99...so, there it is. i can get it anytime.

so i figured, heck, let me try the OGD BIB since i've yet to try ANY OGD...i know (or hope) the 114 will be worth the price....and maybe challenge ole WT???

anyways, on first taste, not NOT what i expected...it's ok....not yet mind-blowing.

did i put the old bust of grand dad up on a pedestal???

help me appreciate this obviously appreciated whiskey...

i don't detect apple pie or caramel. or anything scrumptious...

again, it seems--initially, a 'better' version of the 4 year heaven hill i recently bought...but still oily, still a weird NOSE.:frown:

is that the Rye? the Corn? again, my palate precedes my vocabulary? or does it???

what's the mashbill HERE?

maybe i'm spoiled...from the WT and the Eagle Rare...and the RR 101 and 90 ... and... and...

I had my first pour of WTRB and really liked it. Next up, PVW15. It's poured and to my left as I type this out, awaiting my first sip.

c'mon, please tell my why i should keep my OGD BIB stashed and tapped into occasionally....

and why i should NOT blow dollars on a liter charred barrel to improve it...i mean, 'improve' it....

to be honest, a really VIOLENT swish in the mouth makes it sing out some of that rank-i-ness......................maybe that HH similarity ruined it for me. i am so disappointed over this. i wanted o so much to love old grand dad....i haven't yet jumped ship though...yet

c'mon, please tell my why i should keep my OGD BIB stashed and tapped into occasionally...

Because I find Old Grand-Dad -- any iteration -- is more susceptible to the positive 'open-bottle effect' than almost any other bourbon. Old Forester -- especially the Bottled In Bond -- comes close.

Almost every bottle of either of these I've ever had 'sweetens' as the level lowers and time lingers on...

thanks tim

do you mean OGD gets better over time as it 'diminishes' ?

i like that economy ratio if that is so

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.