What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mixed some late '80's Old Charter 10yr with some current VOB 90 proof. Made a fabulously ballanced dram for a hot eve. in Austin. Went 50-50 as best I could.....had about six inches of that stuff before I felt about melted. Think I'll try that again soon.

Old Old Charter and Barton's, eh? What inspired that choice? I would have never thought to vat them.

Do you think it would work with some other years/proofs? I have some not-quite-so-old Old Charter (7 & 8 yr), and some 86pf VOB.

Wild Turkey Rye and Ginger. Yum. I don't think I like it quite as well as Ritt BIB and Ginger, but close, and maybe sometimes better.

I really liked the sweet fruits of the Charter and the back bone of the VOB. Plus I had both bottles out from a consolidation effort earlier.

Someone on another thread said that Jimmy Russell liked to keep Rare Breed in the freezer and drink it straight. I was told by a distillery manager in Scotland that whisky should be drunk at room temperature where it was made. I tend to agree, but I figure if Jimmy likes it it can't be all bad. I put a bottle in the freezer a couple days ago and had some last night and was surprised how good it was and it seemed that the cold changed the nose. I tried it again tonight, along with a good "Swiss" cigar, and the cigar seemed to cry out "Right distillery, wrong bourbon, Get Kentucky Spirit". I did (at room temperature) and it went much better with the cigar.

Stu

Picked up a mini of Knob Creek tonight. My allergies are acting us so I'm not enjoying it as much as I could.

Eagle Rare came up on the entry screen and I haven't had it recently, so it is a good choice.

I kinda stumbled on it by accident last year when I saw it and it remminded me of Eagle River, WI, where my son goes to camp, so I bought it.

I was pleasantly surprised, especially for the reasonable price.

Started out tonight with a generous pour of Rare Breed. Still trying to figure this stuff out; I'm sure it's a quality pour but to me it seems a bit overdone somehow, a burnt caramel/pine pitch kind of flavor seems to dominate. I'm not loving it but I'm giving it every opportunity to win me over, though. It does seem to benefit from a bit more time in the glass or an ice cube or two. I like to drink neat, but am open minded enough to try to accept things on their own terms when warranted.

That being said, my second pour was a Four Roses Single Barrel 100 proof (having it right now as a matter of fact) and all I can say is, this stuff is PERFECT. I'm a bit of a newbie but once I tasted truly good bourbon I decided to make a bit of a committment to exploring it. I've bought several bottles in the last year, often multiple bottles of the same stuff just to learn the particular characteristics of each one before moving on and comparing. When I arrived at the Four Roses Single Barrel 100 proof I knew I was in a whole 'nother league. I'm glad I brought back two bottles from Kentucky; the first one's almost gone. At least I'll have something to drink on my way back down there from New Hampshire to buy some more!

Cheers!

750 ml of Three Philosophers Quadrupel topping off with a Stagg as I watch Kansas City Confidential. Doesn't get much better!

Personal blend of four beers (3 stouts and Creemore lager - killer combination, 3:1 stouts to lager) in an English pint sleeve (glass) chased by a half ounce each successively of Harper 80 proof, a genever vatting and a rum vatting. Lots of intense tastes but in toto not more than two drinks taken, which is enough for tonight.

And, watching my new Raspberries reunion DVD, it came with their live reunion CD, I love it! "Want a hit, record, yeah, want a hit, record, yeah - oo -oo -oo"!

Gary

What didn't I drink. Went to a tasting this afternoon and enjoyed many of the following:

ORVW 15

ORVW 10 (Frankfort) - really fantastic. I need to get more of these bottles

GTS '04 - best Stagg of all (that we've tried anyway)

Ezra B 12 year

Jack Daniels Silver Select - Wow...really really good.

Blantons Silver - another good one

WT Tribute - hmmm....very much liked this one

Binny's 12 year - honey barrel (14+ year Bernheim)

Buffalo Trace Single Barrel

EC 12

Van Winkle Rye

I think there were others but after a while, it got a little fuzzy. Good food, good company and really fine bourbon.

OGD 114 this afternoon. Taken on its own terms (i.e. not in relation to the ND stuff), a good, sturdy dram.

2-yr-old homebrewed cyser (an apple mead) this evening at dinner. This stuff has gotten spectacularly better in the year since I tasted it. I think most of the 14 bottles we have will be gone before the winter is over.

Now, a pour of Cragganmore 12, which will accompany a book at bedtime (I'm tired, so an early Saturday turn-in for me).

Stagg Fall '04 One shot in a rocks glass cut to 114 Proof.

What a pleasant burn. This is about as High a proof of this edition that I can feel and taste the balance.

EWSB, both '94, '95, and '96 (bottled 11/19/06, post-fire).

The '94 was first: rich, long finish, elegant if a little sharp and dry.

The '95 was bigger, richer with more caramel and vanilla. Again, long finish. The least subtle of the three.

The '96 was the lightest of the three, a bit metallic at first, more anise than the other two. Still, like all EWSB it's charms are not forward but reward patience and study.

I had read several posters list the '94 as their favorite, so I was surprised to find I like the '95 best.

EWSB, both '94, '95, and '96 (bottled 11/19/06, post-fire).

The '94 was first: rich, long finish, elegant if a little sharp and dry.

The '95 was bigger, richer with more caramel and vanilla. Again, long finish. The least subtle of the three.

The '96 was the lightest of the three, a bit metallic at first, more anise than the other two. Still, like all EWSB it's charms are not forward but reward patience and study.

I had read several posters list the '94 as their favorite, so I was surprised to find I like the '95 best.

My vote goes to the '95 as well. Bigger nose, longer finish. Seemed more robust than the '94.

I opened up another Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.

Bottled on 2/7/07

Barrel No. 11

Warehouse E

Rick No. 13

The color of this bottle is lighter than previous WTKS I have had.

I have another unopened, from Warehouse C, Rick 40 and it is noticably darker.

Also this one is not as sweet as others I have had.

But like sex and pizza, even if it is bad, it is still good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.