What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2006 Stagg as I get ready to watch the Warrior trounce the Spurs.

got the 07 Handy in the warm up circle.

A vatting of different batches of WR and OF 100.

This is as good as I can get it, and that's good. :) The nose is polished metal with overtones of light smoke and light wood. Also, I get almost a barbequed mutton-like effect. I think the lanolin notes, which I notice in some malt whiskies too, may derive from the pot still. The total effect is very good and if I had a Kentucky mutton sandwich this drink would be the perfect accompaniment.

The taste is butter-soft, with some cherry esteriness and sweetness.

Aftertaste leaves some light tannins and smoke on the palate.

"Duh-duh-dah, duh-duh-DAH-dah, duh-dah-dah, dah-dah.... They all came down to Bardstown...". (Apologies to Deep Purple).

Gary

A vatting of different batches of WR and OF 100.

This is as good as I can get it, and that's good. :)...

Just for the heck of it, Gary (I'm getting kinda tired of wheat-and-cola, rye-and-ginger ale), I'm going to get into this game before long -- when I have time and patience to look over my bottlings and actually 'think' about what I'm doing. I'm not going to match you, of course, but I suspect I can create something quite palatable.:cool:

I decided to go high-proof tonight - first with a pour of '07 Handy, and then one of OGD 114, which I've just finished as I write this.

For me it just keeps it interesting, Tim. Of course, I have my favourites, or have tasted some, whose nature is such that vatting or mingling simply are not necessary. The Buffalo Trace barrel no. 13 from C&B is an example, so would be the current Russell's Reserve rye, Handy Sazerac, WL Weller, a couple of Antique 107s I have, most Staggs, current WR 143 in Ontario, and many others. But sometimes it just works.

Gary

Last night I had my first taste of Buffalo Trace, in the form of a 50ml sampler, followed by a roughly equal amount of Weller 107 (second pour of this one).

I think I could get used to either ...

Larry

For me it just keeps it interesting, Tim. Of course, I have my favourites, or have tasted some, whose nature is such that vatting or mingling simply are not necessary. The Buffalo Trace barrel no. 13 from C&B is an example, so would be the current Russell's Reserve rye, Handy Sazerac, WL Weller, a couple of Antique 107s I have, most Staggs, current WR 143 in Ontario, and many others. But sometimes it just works.

Gary

Gary, if you don't mind sharing, what are your Top 5 Gillmanizations...in terms of everyday bourbons/whiskeys that are generally available??.....still waiting to get a BT to mix with that blended COK...

Thanks Greg

Greg, thanks, but it really changes with the mood and what is available.

(BTW with that COK, ETL or Blanton or RHF would do well too, or Triple A, i.e., anything from Buffalo Trace Distillery).

I would operate more by principle. That is: vat older and younger; sweeter and drier; rye-recipe and wheat-recipe; higher- and lower-proof; and (in general) bourbon and rye.

In the case of your blend, since it already has approximately 20% + straight whiskey from Buffalo Trace, just add more, you can only make it better. Start with any good straight whiskey from Trace (not just bourbon in fact) but failing same why not use a bourbon or rye from another distillery? Taste and decide what would complement it.

Anything that will increase complexity without causing clashes is the way to go.

Gary

Maybe I should have started with the idea to blend like and like.

This was the basis (broadly) of the WR vatting I mentioned earlier.

Say one WR is too feinty; one is too woody; one is too sweet and bland. A combination should result in a more palatable beverage. But since they all have the same origin, the result will be in synch with what B-F (at any rate) foresees as the profile of WR.

Of course, I would not limit myself to that, as my previous post shows, but it is a good start.

(Put in simple terms, start with blending drinks that are the same or (at least) connected, as WR and OF 100 are, say).

In essence too it is what the distilleries do. Their, say, EC 12, surely is comprised of barrels that do not all taste alike, and some of which are more than 12 years old. So you can do the same thing and perhaps come up with something you find particularly good.

Of course, if what is presented to you is fine, stick with it: I gave examples before of bourbons (or rather particular bottlings) I would not change.

Gary

Just purchased tonight and currently tasting Bulleit Bourbon 750 ml 90 proof. It has some spices but taste wonderful.

post-2838-14489813514669_thumb.jpg

Greg, thanks, but it really changes with the mood and what is available.

(BTW with that COK, ETL or Blanton or RHF would do well too, or Triple A, i.e., anything from Buffalo Trace Distillery).

I would operate more by principle. That is: vat older and younger; sweeter and drier; rye-recipe and wheat-recipe; higher- and lower-proof; and (in general) bourbon and rye.

In the case of your blend, since it already has approximately 20% + straight whiskey from Buffalo Trace, just add more, you can only make it better. Start with any good straight whiskey from Trace (not just bourbon in fact) but failing same why not use a bourbon or rye from another distillery? Taste and decide what would complement it.

Anything that will increase complexity without causing clashes is the way to go.

Gary

Great tips Gary! thanks. I've not blended too much stuff. your principles make sense and aren't something i'd deduced on my own. I've blended a few good ones and a few bad. This will give me a good starting point when i get the itch to mix stuff up.

I am enjoying some Ridgemont Reserve 1792. This is my third bottle, and the best to date. My first had to be a fluke, bitter and unpleasant.

This one is wonderful. Nice caramel-vanilla nose, caramel apple flavor-almost creamy with a little spice, pleasant malty finish.

Todd:

Funny you mention the 1792. Must be popular in Washington State tonight. I am working on my first bottle. For whatever reason my first pour wasn't that satisfying so I let it sit for a month or so. I went back to it last night and find a lot of the same notes that you do. Really love the finish.

Cheers

Roger

A simple night at a local bar with WT 101. Not only is the whiskey good in its own right; but the company of some goods friends made it even better.

Lactaid lactose-free eggnog mixed with a bit of holiday spirit: ETL & Saz 6. Yummy, but perhaps JBB would be better. Somehow I don't think Old Forester will work.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.