Where's Your Dickel?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No Dickel ever sighted in Japan. Only been able to find it online, and then only at a half a dozen shops for twice what it goes in the States.

To be frank Dickel is one of my favorite brands and one I taste 5 times a week at the least. I think it is highly underrated, particularly considering the massive marketing campaign that Jack Daniels as seems to have on. If one has not tried some Dickel please do so. It has a nose that lingers in your nostrils, opens your sinuses and hangs in your memory.

maybe it's psychosomatic! someone mentions 'vitamins' and there goes the #12....good, but.......

i prefer (if doing the rare TN venture) the higher end JD.....(i like bananas):rolleyes:

If you don't mind, how about a roll call. Who can presently find George Dickel No. 8 brand where they live? Recent sightings only, please.

Be sure to tell us where you are.

Bonus question: is George Dickel Cascade Hollow Recipe available there as well?

I have only been to one store since you posted this. They had tons of Dickle 12, and tons of Dickle Cascade Hollow, and a few BS bottles, but the only 8 they had was in 50ml. The good thing is the 50ml are only $1.40 so I picked a few up to try.

I just tried these side by side. I like the 8 a whole heck of a lot better than the 12; although the 12 is more "bourbonesque" for me. With the 8 I got a flavor of warm bread with a hint of honey. With the 12 I found more burn and an almost menthol flavor.

Can someone help me out with the vitals here. I have seen the No 8 refered to as 8 years old and the 12 as 12 years old, but my bottles (minis) had no such statement. Is the 12 supposed to be older? How does dickle describe the differences (their website had no product info that I could find.)

I don't have any answers, Ben, but there seems to be a lot of divided opinion about these two bottles....many prefer the No 12, and it seems equally as many prefer the No 8 (I guess that's why both exist). To me the No 12 tastes like maple sugar and cocoa with no burn, just smooth sailing. I'd be really interested to try the No 8 when it gets back into production/circulation....if it's better than the 12, it'll become a staple in the Dennis household.

Plenty of all four Dickel brands (8, 12, Cascade Hollow and barrel select) at the ABC store I work at part time here in North Carolina.

The 12 is my standard pour, but I just love the Barel Select.

I stopped at Liquor World (I think) in Bardstown today. They had the Cascade Hollow, the 8, and the 12. The Cascade Hollow had the original black label with a little red text and was not only priced higher than the 8 but was a few cents more expensive than the 12!

Logically, they appear to be making sure they can keep their core markets supplied before they concern themselves with markets where Dickel is not big. Their core markets are primarily in the South.

I've only seen Dickel 12 in one liquor store in the Chicagoland area in the last year or so. Oddly, it is quite a bit easier for me to find in the Milwaukee area, so I usually pick up a few bottles when I go up there to visit relatives every few months.

I was speaking with a retailer in Tennessee today who was carrying all of them, but no red label CH, yet. He moves a fair amount of all of them. The interesting thing he told me, was that for every case of #12 he buys, his distributor gives him a handle of #8 for free. Seems odd, to give something away free, that has been in short supply. :confused:

It's not in short supply now and they really want to move people up to the #12.

Spent yesterday morning bugging local perveyors of spirits about #8 & CH, but ended up finding more bottles of OF from the 80's than Dickel, even the #12. The woman behind the counter of the place where I got my first (and last?) bottle of #8 had never heard of it. "Vut is dat? Dee-cuhl?"

Another guy who had three #12 bottles on the shelf he could try to order it for me, but that it was an obscure brand, and that's why he doesn't have any more of it. But since he said he was having trouble getting Van Winkle Lot B for another customer I am dubious.

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Middle TN, you can find the #8,#12, and the "Cascade Hollow". All you could ever want. Of course, I am about 30 minutes from Cascade Hollow. Willing to help anyone out looking for Dickel. Also an abundance of JD around here. These are two staples in all liquor stores in this area.

Found a #8 at a tiny grocery store here in Maine, but I think it was restocked from somewhere else or accidentally found it's way there -- ME is a liquor control state and Dickel #8 is not on the list (Dickel #12, however, is but usually scarce). The #12s I buy all say "Bottled in Stamford, CT" but the #8 says "Bottled in Lawrenceburg, IN" and has a "5 cent Iowa Refund" sticker on it. I could find any stamp on the bottle or anything to indicate bottling the year. Wonder what the deal is.

• 2 weeks later...

The official word is that Dickel only has enough whiskey to fully support the No. 8 expression in its eight core markets, which are Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.

That is the official answer Dickel is sending out in response to consumer inquiries, which was passed to me by someone who received it. They are not saying anything about when they expect to widen distribution.

They do mention that Dickel No. 12 and Dickel Barrel Select are not affected by the shortage and have national distribution.

Just FYI there is plenty of Dickel Now. I can even find it in California. I bought a bottle of Barrel Select the other day.

I just saw some No. 12 yesterday.

I don't know if it is recent stock or if it has been sitting there awhile.

But I haven't seen any No. 8 in my area for a long long time.

OscarV: Where is the State of MI did you find #8. They sell #12 but never seen #8.

TJ

OscarV: Where is the State of MI did you find #8. They sell #12 but never seen #8.

TJ

I said I haven't seen any #8 in a long long time.

I do however remember buying it at Meijer's in the early '90's.

And it was around in a lot of stores back then.

There is a relationship between this and what Constellation is doing with Ten High. All of the producers only have so much whiskey to sell, so they're selling it where it's most profitable. Dickel is keeping Barrel Select and No. 12 fully supported because they're more profitable. For No. 8 they're limiting distribution to their biggest markets. No. 8 is less profitable, but they can save some money and improve its profitability by concentrating distribution in a few key markets.

Dickel #12 and Barrel Select are widely available in Ohio right now. #8 hasn't been around since the shortage started. #8 750's weren't a big seller but stores would sell out of 1.75's as fast as they could get them. I have bottles of all 4 versions, including the Cascade Hollow, although my Select bottle is from the BHC!

Thomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.