Where's Your Dickel?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This thread inspired me to have a splash of #12.

It is better than the last time I had it but I had a few bourbons before hand then.

Right now it is quite alive and refreshing, my first drink of the day.

I'm not getting any of the "vitamin" smell or taste.

Smokey oak nose with a hint of medicine.

A little sweet corn and oak taste, nice.

Dry medium finish with a little leather.

I think George and I are going to spend Saturday night together.

• 2 weeks later...

I opened my first ever bottle of No. 12. I now get the comments I've read about a "vitamin" nose/taste. I notice it.

I like this TN whiskey. I bought the bottle a while back, and I think I paid $21 or $22. Seems like a decent bargain, and I'll probably get another bottle down the road.

Dickel #8 haqs been available again here since sometime this summer. If the bourbon ghetto is getting it, evidently it is plentiful. If anyone is still suffering a drought, PM me and I'll send reinforcements!

Notorious TMH

Although I have never seen it here before (except one bottle that I think was misplaced with an Iowa refund sticker), two Dickel #8s were sitting on the shelf at my local liquor store yesterday when I went in, sitting right next to my beloved Dickel #12. I was very alarmed and not at all pleased . . . the reason is this:

Dickel #12 is $13.99 here which is a very nice (maybe even incorrect) price . . . I usually see it for around $23 other places. The Dickel #8 was priced @ $19.99! I don't know what it usually goes for, but I had assumed between $12-15 . . . what concerns me is that the local liquor control will recognize their potential mispricing of the #12 and update it - - therefore instead of buying a #8 (which I've been wanting to try again), I picked up two #12s and may very well go back for the rest . . .

Thoughts?

Although I have never seen it here before (except one bottle that I think was misplaced with an Iowa refund sticker), two Dickel #8s were sitting on the shelf at my local liquor store yesterday when I went in, sitting right next to my beloved Dickel #12. I was very alarmed and not at all pleased . . . the reason is this:

Dickel #12 is $13.99 here which is a very nice (maybe even incorrect) price . . . I usually see it for around $23 other places. The Dickel #8 was priced @ $19.99! I don't know what it usually goes for, but I had assumed between $12-15 . . . what concerns me is that the local liquor control will recognize their potential mispricing of the #12 and update it - - therefore instead of buying a #8 (which I've been wanting to try again), I picked up two #12s and may very well go back for the rest . . .

Thoughts?

The owner of your local liquor store is suffering from demensia, that's my thought. That is a great price on the #12. It's $22 state min here. I don't remember exactly what the #8 went for when it was available here, but it was around $15.

The owner of your local liquor store is suffering from demensia, that's my thought. That is a great price on the #12. It's $22 state min here. I don't remember exactly what the #8 went for when it was available here, but it was around $15.

Well, we're a control state -- Dickel #12 is $13.99 everywhere you can find it.

Maybe since the #8 is being replaced with Cascade Hollow, he thinks he has something rare and jacked up the price.

Maybe since the #8 is being replaced with Cascade Hollow, he thinks he has something rare and jacked up the price.

Once again, one corporation controls all of the liquor sales & prices in Maine: The Maine Beverage Company . . . I just checked the price list and Dickel #8 has indeed been added . . . check it out here . . .

http://www.state.me.us/dafs/bablo/docs/aug09-prod-list.csv

hopefully they won't catch onto how dumb they're being . . .(oh, and of course, they're listed as 12yr & 8yr . . . idiots . . .)

Picked up a bottle of the Cascade Hollow and find it to be pretty good, although I think I prefer the No. 8.

quote]

I do agree that CH is pretty good and almost as good as no 8. I did have a side by side with these 2 yesterday. CH was slightly thinner in general and had a little less fruit flavours but was good as all Dickels are and very, very smooth despite being only 3 years old.

Leif

• 2 weeks later...

When I revisited my local store, the entire stock of both #8 & #12 was gone, so I went to another place that usually carries the Dickel. Sure enough, they had the #8, too @ $19.99 and, sadly, my fears were confirmed when I saw the price tag for the #12 was now $18.99. :cry: Glad I bunkered when I did, hope 5 bottles is enough to last me for a while . . . If I see this anywhere for $13.99 again, I'm grabbing it.

Forgot to include these on my stash post. I found these a couple of years ago. They are all 1984. I have been searching for the 1.75 to complete the set. I found 1 from the 80's, but it did not have the plastic wrap around the cap and the cap looked cracked, so I left it. If anyone has the 1.75, I would be willing to trade. It doesn't have to be an 84, just the 80's or late 70's/early 90's, something like that.:grin:

post-4055-14489816209116_thumb.jpg

Don,

That is good juice to. I have a few of these I found in Tucson and they are quite good... I gave a few to timOthy... I can see why he likes them...

It is good, I had a couple that I drank. I did have a bad experience with an early 90's Ducks Unlimited No. 12 bottle though that was awful. I later saw a full one sell for $180 on Ebay and I could have kicked myself for drinking it. I later sold the empty bottle for $50. I guess there are some crazy Dickel collectors out there too just like the Jack freaks.

• 1 month later...

Lots of #12 tan label on the shelves down in Maryland. None in any of the "state stores" here in crappy PA.

• 1 month later...

Cascade Hollow has made the MI list but have not seen in any stores. Sounds like its a replacement for #8, but not quite as good. Younger and lower proof than #12. Younger than the old #8? Welcome any tasting comments?

TJ

Cascade Hollow has made the MI list but have not seen in any stores. Sounds like its a replacement for #8, but not quite as good. Younger and lower proof than #12. Younger than the old #8? Welcome any tasting comments?

TJ

The tasting comments I've seen on Cascade Hollow are that it's crap, really bad, so I've avoided it when I've seen it in IN and KY. If you want some #8 I know where there's some on 8 mile in Detroit.:grin:

Lots of #12 tan label on the shelves down in Maryland. None in any of the "state stores" here in crappy PA.

Oh but they once sold it in PA. Just another victim of the wine culture in PA.

Joe :usflag:

TJ

it was a replacement to # 8 a couple of years ago because they ran out of juice. i am sure it was just another marketing ploy by diageo because that is what they do...

Dickel is gone again in Chi-town. Where the hell did it go? I'm not a fan, but it moves out way to quick. Who took it?:grin:

Cascade Hollow has started showing up in MI, I saw it in a couple stores in a couple different areas this week. Still didn't spring for any. I may eventually get one. Thinking of having a Tennesee Whiskey tasting sometime soon and it might make an appearence.

I was at an upstart bar in Parkville this past Saturday and the only bourbons availabe were WT101 and Dickel Barrel Select. Not being a fan of WT, I ordered a pour of the Dickel. That is a bourbon I would have passed up if it weren't for the bar, but it's very tasty, simple juice. Knowing that it's $20 a bottle I feel like a fool paying $6.50 a pour, but it's quite good. Next bottle I see is coming home with me.

I was at an upstart bar in Parkville this past Saturday and the only bourbons availabe were WT101 and Dickel Barrel Select. Not being a fan of WT, I ordered a pour of the Dickel. That is a bourbon I would have passed up if it weren't for the bar, but it's very tasty, simple juice. Knowing that it's $20 a bottle I feel like a fool paying $6.50 a pour, but it's quite good. Next bottle I see is coming home with me.

I agree with you, BBQ. It is quite good. I have always seen the Dickel Barrel Select priced minimally in the lo-mid $30's. So, if you like it, and can get it at $20, you should buy extras.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.