Where's Your Dickel?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I said I haven't seen any #8 in a long long time.

I do however remember buying it at Meijer's in the early '90's.

And it was around in a lot of stores back then.

You got me excited there for a minute! Something new to try.

Maybe we should organize a road trip to like Chicago and raid Binny's or Sam's.

TJ

You got me excited there for a minute! Something new to try.

Maybe we should organize a road trip to like Chicago and raid Binny's or Sam's.

TJ

Let's make it Tony's house instead. Closer and better selection. I'll bring my battering ram.

The Alabama ABC has a price list for download at its site. The price list (from Nov. '08) lists Old no. 8, No. 12 and Cascade Hollow. That doesn't mean all three can be found in all state stores. But, I have located the store in my region that stocks everything on the list and then some. All 3 were there this weekend. I think I saw the two different Cascade Hollow labels - 1) black w/"Cascade Hollow" in red and 2) red. Is the whiskey the same in each?

JD used to be one of my regulars. I'l looking forward to trying the Dickel, but I'm immersed in bourbon at the moment.

Yes, the two Cascade Hollow labels are the same whiskey. They launched CH when there was no No. 8, so they made CH look like No. 8 so people would confuse them. Then, when No. 8 came back, they changed CH to red, so people would not confuse them. Confused?

The pricing is highly variable on the GDCH too. I've seen it priced below No.8, inbetween No.8 and No.12 and priced higher than No.12...

Yes, the two Cascade Hollow labels are the same whiskey. They launched CH when there was no No. 8, so they made CH look like No. 8 so people would confuse them. Then, when No. 8 came back, they changed CH to red, so people would not confuse them. Confused?

Thanks. Is that going to be on the test?

I found only one store in Chicagoland that had a dozen or so bottles of Dickel 12 and I've been pecking away at them for several months now but was disappointed to discover that somebody else found my stash, as they all disappeared last week. Bummer! I don't go nuts over Dickel 12 like some folks but when I want something light and refreshing it's always a nice choice.

Most of the stores I have seen the red and black CH bottles in keep them separated so not to confuse. The labels are very similar though with cascade hollow and No.8 being the only difference on the bottom of the label.

There are 10 or so bottles of No. 8 in downtown San Antonio, other than that I haven't seen it anywhere else.

There may be a dearth of Dickel in the Chicagoland area but there's plenty No. 12 around here. I picked up a bottle of the No. 12 today. (I payed $22 somthin') Having some right now...........

I haven't seen any No. 8 for a couple years........ Never even seen the Cascade Hollow

• 1 month later...

Saw the Cascade Hollow @ Liquour Barn in Louisville (black and red bottles), but most surprising was that I saw more #8 than I have ever seen in Covington KY. I even found a place with four handles of the stuff.

I can personally confirm that the Cork & Bottle off of I-75 in Covington is now completely out of #8.:grin:

I can personally confirm that the Cork & Bottle off of I-75 in Covington is now completely out of #8.:grin:

Nice work, Josh!

Nice work, Josh!

Thanks! but I had help :grin: . I saw the handles after we left C & B and went into another place looking for something else. I wanted to get them, but I had already spent too much. They continue to haunt me.

:smil41df29a15fb35:

I found only one store in Chicagoland that had a dozen or so bottles of Dickel 12 and I've been pecking away at them for several months now but was disappointed to discover that somebody else found my stash, as they all disappeared last week. Bummer! I don't go nuts over Dickel 12 like some folks but when I want something light and refreshing it's always a nice choice.

It's (#12) finally showing up again in Chicagoland. Looks to be back at full strength with respect availability.

Dickel No.12 is becoming increasing rare around these parts. Or rather, there are large periods of time between restocking. At $14 people tend to jump all over it and then it disappears for a month. I have a couple off-the-beaten-path haunts that I can hit up if need be, of course, just don't ask me where. :grin:

I was at the George Dickel distillery in June. I was able to get a bottle of #12 and a bottle of the Barrel Select. the Barrel Select is such a good whisky. I did find some Dickel here in Califonia last spring. Haven't seen any since.

I was at the George Dickel distillery in June. I was able to get a bottle of #12 and a bottle of the Barrel Select. the Barrel Select is such a good whisky. I did find some Dickel here in Califonia last spring. Haven't seen any since.

I whole-heartedly agree. The GDBS is the best TN I've ever had. We seem to be getting some new (to us) stuff here in MI recently, hopefully Barrel Select is on the way!

I was at one of our better LA area liquor stores this weekend and they had Dickel No. 12 and Barrel Select.

The shortage and now limited distribution has been a Dickel No. 8 (black label) issue only.

There is also curiosity about the extent of the Cascade Hollow Recipe (red label) distribution.

There ostensibly have been only sporadic shortages of No. 12 and none, that I know of, of Barrel Select.

Sku,

What liquor store did you Find Dickle at?

Brian

Wine & Liquor Depot in Van Nuys, but I've seen it other places. As Chuck said, there's no shortage of the number 12 or the Barrel Select. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Number 12 at BevMo as well and at K&L in Hollywood.

Wine & Liquor Depot in Van Nuys, but I've seen it other places. As Chuck said, there's no shortage of the number 12 or the Barrel Select. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Number 12 at BevMo as well and at K&L in Hollywood.

...I've seen the 12 all over lately, and at least one place I know of has a big stash of the barrel select as well, though I've only been to one store this month that had the 8 (and only one bottle of it).

...I've seen the 12 all over lately, and at least one place I know of has a big stash of the barrel select as well, though I've only been to one store this month that had the 8 (and only one bottle of it).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.