Empty Bottles Support Group New & Improved

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Okay, there's nothing really new or improved about it, but the old thread was getting unwieldy, so let's start again.

We all know how hard it is to finish a bottle of whiskey, especially one that cannot be easily replaced. It's hard, but it's part of life.

This thread is here for you to seek support and provide support to others. We feel your pain. This thread is for saying goodbye to special friends as they become empty vessels, a fate that awaits us all.

I'll begin with the unkindest cut of all, the last bourbon bargain.

I have one drink left in a bottle of Old Heaven Hill 10-year-old BIB. I was just in Louisville and when I went to replace it at Liquor Barn it was not to be found. The replacement--or at least the oldest Old Heaven Hill BIB they had with an age statement on it--was a six-year-old.

I bought the 10-year-old at Liquor Barn last September for $8.49. My guess is we won't see a 10-year-old BIB for under $10 again in our lifetimes, so brothers and sisters, can I have a little love?

Aw, pobrecito, I feel your pain. I too wince when I empty some of those not so long ago "bargains" that can't be replaced. Last night it was an ORVW 10/107 L'burg that cost me $23. It's been replaced on the shelf with different whiskey at a much higher price.

Randy

With the coming, temporary (we hope) shortage of all things Weller, I went out and grabbed the last three Antique 107s locally a couple of weeks ago. I plowed through the first one in about 10 days (a near-record here!) -- much of it enjoyed through a coating of diet cola (hey, I like it that way -- not exclusively -- okay?! And it was MINE.). I'm not likely to treat the other two so cavalierly.

Also, finished a 'manufactured' rarity -- a 750ml of yellow-label OC 12, thus post-label-change, pre-discontinuance -- over the weekend.

During Sunday's Chat, Willett 22yo...I surprised I managed to stretch this bottle out so long...A damn fine bottling, one that is sure to be missed.

I have one drink left in a bottle of Old Heaven Hill 10-year-old BIB. I was just in Louisville and when I went to replace it at Liquor Barn it was not to be found.

That is truly sad. That bottle is one that I always bought when visiting Cincinnati. The label alone was worth the price!

I just finished my last of a pre-fire bottle a couple of weeks ago, and have it on my standing shopping list for Cincinnati friends who shuttle back and forth between there and here. Guess I may have to ask for a substitute.

OTOH, I found that the six-year-old was also very nice - feistier, but full of character.

Jeff

I actually made a point to put aside a few bottles of VROHH, knowing that the fire/transition to Bernhiem was upon us for that one. Hopefully it was just a temperary thing and not a permanent situation...though they had climbed to a jaw-dropping $13

I just emptied the last of my SB.com PVW23 (barrel 2) into a snifter, which I raise to those who made this happen. Thanks again, I'll definitely miss this one!

WTKS came to and end last night... now I have room for two more... that bottle is way to wide..!!!!

I had two partial bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel. The first--one of the Party Source specials--fell a few weeks ago. The other--a standard issue--just bit the dust too. I'm still holding tight to that last drink of the 10-year-old Heaven Hill but that's next.

I sure do like that Four Roses.

Am trying to kill off some "minimally-full" bottles in case I bring home another batch of them from the Sampler later this month. In the past couple of days, those included a Yamakazi 12yo single malt, and the remains of a decanted Michter's 101-proof, pot-still decanter.

Tonight, the bottle graveyard accepted an '07 Larue Weller, which took me since last fall to finish. As I still have an '06 left which I'm in no hurry, or have no need, to open before next fall's issue arrives, I'll have to assuage myself with other things. Ah, well...

Well,

If Scotch bottles are eligible, I'd like to participate.

Tonight I said goodbye to a bottle of Talisker 18. I enjoyed every drop -- it's gentler than Talisker 10 yet still very interesting. I'm particularly sad because I don't think it will be replaced too soon, as it's significantly more expensive than the ten-year bottling (at least in my area). On the bright side, I have a bottle of WT12 that a friend brought back from Japan lurking in the wings, waiting for me to open very soon.

OGD 114, I need to replace it right now.

Van Winkle Lot B and a ORVW 10/90. Both well bunkered.

Last night I finished a VWFRR 13 (F series.) It's always sad to empty one of these because I have not seen any on the shelves here since the F series was released. Fortunately, I have 5 more unopened, but I don't anticipate seeing this around here again.

Just killed 2 bottles.... Julio's centennial 13 yr (got 12 more bunkered) and a VSOF (gotta get another).

I bought and finished a bottle of Evan Williams black label on Tuesday. Two points to clarify. I was in Oklahoma City and it was a 200 ml. I mention this primarily because that sort of situation is the only time I buy a small size, so I seldom look at the selection. This little liquor store, not far from the airport, had quite a selection of smalls, and very high prices on them. I paid over $3 for the EW. They also had the green label Evan and--this was a surprise--Mellow Corn in smalls.

I have a recently-purchased 750 ml of EW black still unopened, that I bought last week, for $9.29 at Liquor Barn in Louisville.

Finished a Laphroaig 15 tonight. I had been working on this over the winter, and since this evening is fairly cool I decided to finish it off. It was a really good bottle. I most likely won't open anything peaty again until the fall, so that was a good send off.

Finished a Laphroaig 15 tonight. I most likely won't open anything peaty again until the fall, so that was a good send off.

I am that way with wheated bourbons.

I am working on finishing up a few open wheaters.

I probably won't open another until the first wave of Autumn's cool air comes in.

In the meantime I can't wait to get into the Turkeys, Roses and the warm summer time.

Killing a lot of bottles this week. Old Forester Birthday '07. Great bourbon. I will have to pick up another next time I'm out to Julio's.... The bottle is very nice but takes up too much room on the shelf (I know, minor inconvenience)

The end of the better of two Pure Kentuky 107.... good, not great, but definitly good bourbon...

I went mellow today and a very nice bottle of FR Small Batch poured it's last glass. Cheers to Mr Rutledge and crew. Time for a road trip to Chicago. I can't wait for FR to come to Wisconsin later on this year.

With a heavy heart, I commit Pappy Van Winkle 15 to the recycling bin tonight. He will be remembered & replaced.

After I 'freshen' my drink one more time, this bottle of BT will be officially a dead soldier.

I have several bottles that need to be finished before I open any more. Tomorrow I may finish a Weller Antique.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!