Empty Bottles Support Group New & Improved

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My much loved GTS 2006, purchased last April, opened last August, now gone.

Fortunately I have two more bottles. Whew.

Finished another one tonight: Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2004. It's a bitter-sweet moment.

In the past I panned this bourbon for being way too peppery. I opened it a year ago, and for the first few months it was undrinkable - really unpleasant. White pepper dominated the flavor to the exclusion of almost everything else. Here I am almost exactly one year later and it has become an outstanding pour.

I take it back, all the hard feelings, the disappointment, the anger. I take it all back.

Tonight, it rewarded me with a rich, complex experience. Leather, toffee and some woodiness on the nose. More toffee than caramel on the palate, with molasses, leather and tobacco, plus a suggestion of bitter orange. Some spice, but the pepper is almost entirely gone. Very nice finish - not an enormous finish like Handy, but it lasts a long time.

It reminds me of a sweeter, less overpowering GTS, but still strong enough in its own right.

I'll miss you, OFBB '04. Despite our initial rough start, you proved to be a good friend. :cry:

Finished another one tonight: Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2004. It's a bitter-sweet moment.

In the past I panned this bourbon for being way too peppery. I opened it a year ago, and for the first few months it was undrinkable - really unpleasant. White pepper dominated the flavor to the exclusion of almost everything else. Here I am almost exactly one year later and it has become an outstanding pour.

I take it back, all the hard feelings, the disappointment, the anger. I take it all back.

Tonight, it rewarded me with a rich, complex experience. Leather, toffee and some woodiness on the nose. More toffee than caramel on the palate, with molasses, leather and tobacco, plus a suggestion of bitter orange. Some spice, but the pepper is almost entirely gone. Very nice finish - not an enormous finish like Handy, but it lasts a long time.

It reminds me of a sweeter, less overpowering GTS, but still strong enough in its own right.

I'll miss you, OFBB '04. Despite our initial rough start, you proved to be a good friend. :cry:

Mark - his twin brother is sitting on my shelf at home....come get it.

See ya later alligator......Bernhiem Wheat Whiskey. It got ignored and shoved to the back of the pantry because there were other's that needed by attention.

Finished off my bottle of Old Overholt this weekend. If I find a dusty one or a BIB version I'll buy it but I doubt I'll ever buy another one of the current bottling, it tasted like something you would use to clean.

Killed an ORVW 10/107... great bottle, easy drinkin'. I have another bunkered but I'll need to stock up on this puppy. At $26.69, it's one great deal.

my Vintage 17 came to an end tonight... now on to the WL Weler 90 proof... may she rest in peice soon...

Just finished a bottle of ORVW15. Thank goodness I have about 6 more stored in my bunker. This is my all time favorite!!!

Parkers Heritage Cask Strength. Man was this a pleasant surprise from Heaven Hill. I will buy another, if I can find it.

in the last 30 days or so I had going-away parties for bottles of:

- Booker's

- PVW 15/107

- VWFR Lot B

- ER 10yr SB

I see a FR SWmB bottle nearing its end, expect its obit soon.

Binny's pick Weller 12 year (which is actually 14 years) dead and gone. Thankfully I have a couple more.

I guess that this is a bad night for Binny's Weller 12. I take great pleasure in committing my first one to the recycle bin and only because I have three more in the bunker. I should just break down and buy a case of the stuff.

Aw, man. Now I have to pull one out of the bunker. :bigeyes:

Well, since the last time I visited SB.com (last year sometime before I started a new project at work), I've killed a GTS (131), a Weller special bottling, an Eagle Rare 90, 2 Rittenhouse Ryes, an OGD BIB, and an OGD 114. I working hard on a few more. :)

Jay

Said goodbye to my first bottle of 1792 yesterday. Not bad bourbon, but I'm not sure if I'll get another to bunker. I just have way too much for the time being. Gotta make some room. Joe

As referenced elsewhere, a 2001 Weller 19yo, gifted by BobbyC recently in Bardstown.

Much enjoyed, and glad to have the bottle as a relic...

Finishing off an Old Ezra 7/101, tonight's sip being vatted 1:1 with Weller Antique, which is how I've consumed most of it.

It was okay, especially for $15, but I doubt I'll buy another.

Now that space has been liberated in the liquor cabinet (gotten crowded in there), I'll probably get either a BT (one of my standard pours) which is on sale this month for $22, or possibly JB BL, which I haven't had in years and is also on sale (for $18).

Finally finished that bottle of Knob Creek. Joe

Well, I finished off my bottle of 07 Stagg... next year I can only hope that its as good a year as the 07 and that I am able to get more... bottles.

I still have a Sazarac 18y and a W.L. Weller left in the bunker. So, I should be alright until fall.

Working on a ORVW 10/107 tonight... 2-3 more bunked.... but, that will be the next KILL.

Killed a Centennial 13 yr Julio's bottling last night. Only 10 more bunkered and then they're gone. I also prematurely killed a Bakers that had about a 1/4 btl left by pouring into my vatted collection. The vatted has EC18, JBB, WTRB and now Bakers. Good riddance.

...I also prematurely killed a Bakers that had about a 1/4 btl left by pouring into my vatted collection. The vatted has EC18, JBB, WTRB and now Bakers. Good riddance.

I hope you taste that vatting once in a while. Sometimes, serendipity makes it the best thing in the house!

I hope you taste that vatting once in a while. Sometimes, serendipity makes it the best thing in the house!

Actually I do throw it in the mix once in a while when I'm slumming it with my low-priced pours and it hasn't been too bad. On the rare occasion I make a whiskey sour or Manhattan I'll use it. I liken it to getting a free drink as I'd already written off the contents of that bottle anyhow icon12.gif

my first bottle of Elmer T Lee bit the dust tonight, and a damn fine bottle it was - liked by everyone I shared it with.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!