Empty Bottles Support Group New & Improved

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finished off my WT Rye 101. A great value, in my opinion, almost on par with the Ritt BIB or even ORVW 7/107.

Said good-bye to another EWSB 1995. Only one left in the bunker... sigh.

My first bottle of FRSB has been drained as of this evening.

With great fondness I remember the panic in my voice as I asked the gas station attendant in Ashland, Kentucky to direct me to the nearest liquor store before dark fell. In order to keep my schedule, I had to be in Portsmouth, Ohio that evening with a few more stops in-between, so I was really pressed for time.

I wasn't sure what I would find at that CVS or if they would be selling hard liquor at that hour of the evening, but I was delighted to find the FRSB as well as 50ml bottles of WTRB that were the deal of the say at 1.50 each.

Had I known that the liquid inside of the Four Roses bottle was so delightful, I surely would have purchased more than the one bottle that I did for the paltry sum of 26.99.

Even though it was just last August that the FRSB was purchased, it feels like a lifetime has passed since that day.

I'll miss you, but don't fret dear friend as there's leather-ringed replacement waiting to take your place.

Last night was a bottle of WT 101 8 year old current export Liter and the last of ORVW 12 yr old Lot "B".

Tony

A superb bottle of Blanton's bit the dust this evening. Probably the bestest gift that my brother-in-law ever gave me. :yum:

It is with great saddness that I announce the demise of Old Grand Dad 114. It was a great pour one I turned to many times when I wanted whiskey but needed something a little differnt. Happily I was able to send him off to the recyling bin with a honorary pour from a fresh bottle of good ole WT101.

I was equally happy and sad to see my first bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye go... very happy with the experience I've had with this bottle as well as happy that I've been turned on to something so good and totally new to me - yet sad that I'm now Rye-less until I get more.

this VWFRR is firmly in my top-5 whiskeys now - and it may end up being supplanted by some other Rye I haven't tried yet but who knows; in any case - thanks to you fine folks at SB.com at least there's one Rye in the bunch - which is one more than there was two weeks ago...

goodbye new friend, VWFRR; I look forward to drinking you again.

Pappy 20 just passed. 2 bunkered and plenty on the store shelves so no worries. Damn good whiskey.

I am sending off a much enjoyed bottle of 1792. I liked the woodiness and and the wonderful overall flavor. I will definately re-purchase this bottle but, I have a few more to polish off before I do that. This bourbon is near the top of my list.

I said goodbye to a bottle of WT Rye today...

Some people here, might hunt me down and kill me for saying this, but I mixed it with coke.

I said goodbye to a bottle of WT Rye today...

Some people here, might hunt me down and kill me for saying this, but I mixed it with coke.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: Now......what did you say your address was again? :smiley_acbt:

This is my last full week in Kentucky.

I've been nursing my Stagg collection since the first release and never finished a bottle until this week.

I killed them in order, starting with the initial release.

Last night was the Fall and Spring 2005's, both of which were rich in charcoal murk at the bottom. In the evening light, the color appeared bilious green, which didn't stop me from drinking it.

I did give it a second look but charged on.

The 2006 is the last open Stagg I have. I will play Taps, as the top of my sideboard is cleared of opened bottles.

All my full ones are packed and ready to go.

I can hear echoes of "My Old Kentucky Home" and a tear is welling up in the corner of my eye.

Well Ed, now you have to give us the inside scoop on Tuthilltown. :) But seriously, if you have to leave Kentucky, what a way to go!

Funny you say that about the green color. In the Getz there is a bottle of late 1800's bourbon that has a frankly emerald hue.

Further testament to the authenticity of modern George Stagg!

Gary

I need some support, I am very emotional and distraught right now.

The following bottle I have just emptied and needs a proper send off.

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve

23 Year Old

Kentucky Barrel Society 2007 Barrel C

Single Barrel DSP KY-16

Distilled April 9, 1984

Bottled without chill-filtering June 27, 2007

ACDetroit, Dr. Francois, ThomasH, StraightBoston and myself were honored to have enjoyed this.

Gentleman please, give a moment of silence only to be broken by the sound of your favorite bourbon being poured into a glass.

I have this vision of you sucking the empty bottle inside out.

Tonight for me, nothing so momentous. A Rittenhouse Rye BIB. It's rye. It's BIB. What could possibly go wrong?

I need some support, I am very emotional and distraught right now.

The following bottle I have just emptied and needs a proper send off.

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve

23 Year Old

Kentucky Barrel Society 2007 Barrel C

Single Barrel DSP KY-16

Distilled April 9, 1984

Bottled without chill-filtering June 27, 2007

ACDetroit, Dr. Francois, ThomasH, StraightBoston and myself were honored to have enjoyed this.

Gentleman please, give a moment of silence only to be broken by the sound of your favorite bourbon being poured into a glass.

Oscar,

I will give one minute's silence for the loss of this bottle.

I haven't visited mine since I was last at Cam's house, but I have a funny feeling it will make an appearance in about 5 weeks time...........

Scott

All my full ones are packed and ready to go.

I can hear echoes of "My Old Kentucky Home" and a tear is welling up in the corner of my eye.

Wow Ed, I almost get teary when I leave Kentucky after being there merely a few days. I can only imagine how you must be feeling! Best of luck on your new journey.

As for me, it was a difficult/impossible bottle to replace; mid '70s Eagle Rare 101. Man was this a fine pour! I have one virtually identical in the bunker and one much more recent but still 101. I fear it'll be a long time until the twin to this bottle is opened unless I find another to take it's place.

well.. my fitst PVW 23 just bit the dust... that means I am down to 30 opens... 15 more and the willett 25 yr gets opened :D

Weller Antique 7/107. OK bourbon. I won't replace for a while since I have a Weller SR on the shelf and 1 bunkered so I have enough of this profile in my collection.

Weller Antique 7/107. OK bourbon. I won't replace for a while since I have a Weller SR on the shelf and 1 bunkered so I have enough of this profile in my collection.
If you ever run across any of the older 'Louisville' bottlings from 1999 and earlier, you should give it a try.

Classic Cask 15yo rye, distilled 1984, bottled 1999, #494/600. Didn't care for it. No one else did, either, since this sucker was still alive after several trips to Bardstown (opened Sampler 2006!). Too woody, as in 'oak-panel veneer'. I've been deliberately trying to drown it since returning home from this year's Sampler. Ending it all tonight under a good coating of (diet) ginger ale. I STILL get a tinge of cardboard!

Its 22yo sibling disappeared during the Sampler -- I assume the last third-bottle got finished. It was much better -- the reason any of THAT one remained is because I'd been hoarding it.

I wonder why the same folks produce two such different whiskeys under the same name, aegis.:skep:

Just emptied an Old Weller Antique 107.

I am thinning out my open bottles before I open anything new.

I never have more than 6 open at one time, I know this is nothing compared to others here.

I am down to 4 open now.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!