Empty Bottles Support Group New & Improved

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just emptied a Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.

I've been nipping at it for a few weeks now and yesterday I had several while looking over "Whiskey" by Marc A Hoffman.

My daughter Tess gave it to me yesterday for Father's Day.

It is a good book. Lots of pictures, has all the distilleries of the world with facts and figures about what they make.

They have 117 distilleries listed in Scotland, I had no idea.

My 07 Stagg when to the great beyond tonight... next up on teh list is my Fall 05

Heaven Hill 10-year-old BIB and Bulleit. For some reason, the Bulleit tasted very good to me and wants to be immediately replaced.

Finally finished off a bottle of WTRR 101 that had been standing patiently on the side of the bar with one pour left. For no particular reason, tonight was the night.

As good as I remembered....

Tonight I'm finishing off a JB BL, the same way I started it: neat, in a copita.

It was a case of revisiting a bourbon I hadn't sampled for over ten years; longer I think, because the last time was when it was aged "101 months".

Wanted to see if it could substitute for BT as a "daily pour" ryed bourbon. The answer is no.

Not that it's bad, but I like BT a lot more, and they cost the same ($21.95 here in OR). The BT went down in price, from $23.95, on May 1st; even if it goes back up to that on July 1st it still offers a better QPR (at least for me). The OLCC will publish the July price list on the 20th; if it is going up I'll bunker a few bottles.

As for the JB BL, it was interesting to try the current expression. I like the nose a lot, but there's a bit of mid-palate bitterness. Not much, mind you, but enough to keep it from being a favorite.

Drank it neat, on the rocks, and with Coke. Being only 86 proof, it gets too dilute too fast with ice. Works well with Coke, but so does EW BL and that costs onlly $9.95. So it won't be replaced.

Maybe I'll try it again...in 2018...

Said goodbye to Elmer tonight.:frown: He sure was good to me. Joe

Killed another Pappy 15 tonight. 3 bunkered. Still my favorite and each downed bottle scares me that there'll be no more.

Thomas H Handy Rye, Fall '06

To say that it was enjoyed simply doesn't suffice. This bottle was savored.

It will be replaced, but most likely not until this Fall when the '08 BTAC is released. I can only hope that the people at Buffalo Trace increase production so Handy can be found longer into the year. The '07 disappeared quickly.

Over the weekend, knocked down a MM red wax 375 and an Evan Williams black label (still marked "aged 7 years") -- not noteworthy, except it's been months since I've actually emptied any bottles instead of cycling between what's open.

My first bottle of Weller Antique hit the recycle bin last evening. It was thoroughly enjoyed and I'm glad that I have one bunkered.

Last night, the last drops of ODG-BIB met their match. Meanwhile, the final third of a bottle of Ten High found it's way into my never-ending vatting blend which is mostly for mixing.

Tonight, the Weller Antique will give up the ghost. Fortunately, there is a bottle of Eagle Rare ready to come out of hiding and enter the cabinet and take the WA's place.

Yesterday I tossed a WLWeller 12yo Binny's bottle in the recycle bin.

Oh, BTW, it was empty:grin:

Boy -- lots of Weller Antique being finished off these days! (I'm close to the end of one of mine, but it's S-W whiskey from the 80's and I'm loath to let it disappear...)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it took a while but the EC18, EC12 and the RHFs have gone to the grat bottle beyond.... the RHFs was the best of teh bunch...

I've been slowly paring down my opens, in the last few nights the following have hit the recycling bin:

Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve Rye

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Rittenhouse BIB

Four Roses Single Barrel

Pretty soon it will be bottle opening time! Hooray, for new whiskies to drink!

Me too with a Weller Antique, this one a Cork-N-Bottle special single barrel edition. Antique is fine, with its Old Rip-looking label, but I still prefer Weller 12 and even Weller Special Reserve.

I agree Chuck.

Here from favorite at the top is the way I rank the 5 different Wellers'.

William Larue Weller BTAC

Centennial

Special Reserve

12 year old

Antique

Oscar,

For my tastes, I'd switch Special Reserve and 12Yr and I like Special Reserve as it is a common go to drink in my home.

Will

My order is:

12yo - Centennial (tie)

Antique

SR

Never had the BTAC version.

Oscar,

For my tastes, I'd switch Special Reserve and 12Yr

Will

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Yeah, they are close for me and sometimes I'd switch 'em to.

But I like them all very much.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep saying I need to empty some bottles, but I seem to open more than I kill.

Last night a WT American Spirit came to it's end. It wasn't as sad as it could have been though, I just opened another one :grin:

It's the only bottle I've killed in a while and this week I opened a Basil Hayden's, Maker's Mark and a Woodford Reserve.

Now there's just more bottles to empty!

Scott

The EW Antebellum dies today :(

ANyone else got one they want to trade to me... I will entertain all offers....

Just killed another Julio's Weller. That last pour was really great. I have about 9 more bunkered (I have to go count them). I wonder what the centennial is going to be rebranded as.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!