What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm really drinking on the cheap tonight. Standard Cutty Sark blend. It really isn't that terrible. It has a nice peppery finish.

I like Cutty, always have, that blend is getting on close to 100 years now of continuous production which is no mean feat.

Bruichladdich The Laddie Twenty Two Unpeated Islay and Binny's Cask Highland Park 25 from 1981. The Laddie could easily go another 22 years...has refined hints of honey, citrus and brine combined with finesse to create a subtle, elegant and very long lasting whisky. There was some criticsm of the HP when it was released in 2007 but a powerhouse that tastes great now. Thank you Mr. Maloney.

Cutty Sark is a good blend, it's a good expression of the lighter side of Scotch whisky. Check out Dewar's and Ballantine, too, solid stuff. All these drinks make by the way an excellent Scotch Mist - for some reason it never tastes right to me with a single malt.

Gary

Cutty 12 is a very solid whisky. I enjoy Dewers 12, also. The only Ballentine's I've ever had was the standard blend. I'd like to try the older stuff.

Had a friend who liked Balentines 12 and we shared a good bit of it at his house. One Summer we went through the 12s (Balentines, Cutty, Dewars, Buchanan,Teachers and a few others I don't recall) as a part of the weekly tastings I hosted. That experience was part of what led me away from Single Malts.

The 12's will be very good but try regular Cutty Sark, it has a pure, clean distillery character - but not bland - that is one side of the Scotch equation.

Gary

Had a friend who liked Balentines 12 and we shared a good bit of it at his house. One Summer we went through the 12s (Balentines, Cutty, Dewars, Buchanan,Teachers and a few others I don't recall) as a part of the weekly tastings I hosted. That experience was part of what led me away from Single Malts.

I still prefer Single Malts, but I have nothing against a good blend. I like blends when I'm just in the mood to sit down in front of the TV and have a Scotch.

The 12's will be very good but try regular Cutty Sark, it has a pure, clean distillery character - but not bland - that is one side of the Scotch equation.

Gary

Given that blends contain upwards of 40 or more different whiskies from different distilleries (malt and grain), I'm not sure how anyone can detect any "distillery character".;)

Ardbeg Day eh... Love getting the Fritos smell wafting up when I rub a few drops between my palms & sets my anticipation alight for my dram.

After an unfortunately scheduled argument with the wife I've enjoyed some Glenfiddich 15. A lot of 'fiddich 15. Time to post in the empty bottle thread.

Don't ever buy/sell a home. Ever.

Finally cracked open the Barry Crockett Legacy last night with a friend. It is some truly delightful whiskey! Might have to keep the rest of it for myself...

Then for a little contrast we finished off with some Talisker 18 as my friend wanted to see if he should get a bottle before the price jumps. Looks like I made a sale!

Felt like going to the lighter side last night with a nice Irish. I went with a bold pour of Redbreast 12 CS the fruit and vibrance in this whisky never disappoint on any level!

Just got home from a belated Valentines dinner with the wife and decided to open my Compass Box Flaming Heart 4th Ed. All I can say is . . . HELL. YES. I will be out tomorrow looking for another.

Having my first go at THE BEIST. Delicious. Plenty complex, full of fruit with a well balanced smoke, but lighter, tamer than I would expect given the name. That's not a knock, just unexpected. For those in the know, how much of a difference is there between the different years? This is an 07 bottling, btw.

Just got home from a belated Valentines dinner with the wife and decided to open my Compass Box Flaming Heart 4th Ed. All I can say is . . . HELL. YES. I will be out tomorrow looking for another.

Flaming Heart 4 is just...perfect. I know that's a taboo statement in the whisky world, and I understand why, but this dram is delicious and drinkable at the highest level. Excellent.

I'm knocking back a Macallan CS. It's hard to pick a favorite sherry bomb between this, A'bunadh and Glenfarclas 105. The best is obviously the one in front of me at the moment.

Flaming Heart 4 is just...perfect. I know that's a taboo statement in the whisky world, and I understand why, but this dram is delicious and drinkable at the highest level. Excellent.

Completely agree. Insanely good. This is the best Compass Box I've had, which is saying something.

Having my first go at THE BEIST. Delicious. Plenty complex, full of fruit with a well balanced smoke, but lighter, tamer than I would expect given the name. That's not a knock, just unexpected. For those in the know, how much of a difference is there between the different years? This is an 07 bottling, btw.

The Beist is anything BUT a beast... One of the tamer, more "adult" Ardbegs around. It's rich and smokey - but far from a monster than a CS Ardbeg can be. Lighter on smoke/peat (and alcohol) than the 10 year is.

Delicious and worthy of much praise in it's own way, but not a "beast" by any stretch compared to any other younger, more vibrant and potent CS Islay. I always found the name to be a misnomer, it's still an amazing dram.

In terms of year-to-year? I notice only marginal differences. They're all equally good for being an well aged, moderate proof Ardbeg.

The Alberta Premium Dark Horse is NOT 100% rye like all their other products.

It contains (approx percentages) 91% rye grain, 8.5% aged corn whisky, and 0.5% sherry wine is added.

The ABV is 45% - at least here in Canada (not 46).

Well now I am not sure if I am drinking Whisky or Liqueur. I am not aware of any other spirit actually blended with sherry. I will contemplate that with my remaining bottle and a half.

I opened an Amrut Fusion last night and found it really difficult. It reminded me of Walker Green Label, very similar nose that was quite pleasing, but the palate is a little all over the place. A little young tasting as well, which I expected. I think I'll grow to tolerate it, but first impression is definitely no more than a B-. I had a similarly underwhelming experience with a new Double Rye last night. Definitely a weird night for whiskies. Maybe it was me.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!