What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm enjoying a nice pour of Lag 16 after a 70 hour work week.

I do that often....on both accounts. :)

That seems to be the story on this one though eh? Oddly enough, it won the WWA's World's Best Single Malt category.

It's the worst Ardbeg I have ever had. Unworthy of the name. A damn shame....

Some of the really high end super rare and expensive scotches I have sampled tasted like shite to me.

Maybe I'm just a Philistine. I like J&B better than just about anything.

Some of the really high end super rare and expensive scotches I have sampled tasted like shite to me.

Maybe I'm just a Philistine. I like J&B better than just about anything.

You're in good company. It was a favorite of Sonny Liston.

I'm not familiar with the Shite brand but am mindful of the fact old, rare and expensive doesn't mean it's any better than a middlin blend.

I'm not familiar with the Shite brand but am mindful of the fact old, rare and expensive doesn't mean it's any better than a middlin blend.

You are correct sir. Ancient Age and Buffalo Trace are made in the same distillery. Taste them blindfolded, and see if you can tell the difference.

There is a difference, but it is very slight.

Enjoying my first pour from a bottle of Glendronach 15 PX CS (1995, Cask # 2045) - lovely dram

It's the worst Ardbeg I have ever had. Unworthy of the name. A damn shame....

That's what everybody says... But I'll probably try it at a bar just to let my tastebuds figure out what the negative feedback is all about.

Edited by ChainWhip

Had a Jura Superstition last night. Not bad by any means, but a little on the boring side. Mostly caramel malty flavors with light smoke. It opened up a bit as the pour progressed and got a bit of nice salt in the finish, but it could have used some more complexity or oomph.

That's what everybody says... But I'll probably try it at a bar just to let my tastebuds figure out what the negative feedback is all about.

Had some more of the Glendronach 15 PX last night - may need to bunker a few more of these

It's biggest issue, IMHO, is that it lacks any distillery character. It got completely lost in the translation.

I would venture to say very few people would be able to identify the source in a blind test.

Oh? Now my interest is piqued.

Oh? Now my interest is piqued.

Candidly, it's just a painfully average peated whisky that's very over-priced. It's not awful, but I'd take Ardmore TC (at $25) over it every time. Any standard release Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg 10 are much, much better.

As far as being something "special" it is indeed a complete fail - unless by "special" they meant shockingly mediocre and not nearly as good as other stuff they've done...

Enjoying one of my favorites tonight, some Caol Ila 12.

Always a great one!

I can't recommend strongly enough that you look for some single-barrel/CS offerings - the younger the better (seriously...) if you like Caol Ila. At 6-10 years, and CS, this stuff is smokin'! Some of my favorite pours have been youthful CIs, and they don't usually cost stupid money ($50-$75) compared to other single barrel Islay offerings.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive to suggest younger whiskey, but CI gets so soft, delicate and gentle as it ages (more so than the other peat monsters), and when it's young, it's just a firecracker of smoke, olive oil, fishy, citrusy flavors.

Ardbeg Uigeadail finishing up grilling this chicken sausage. Must've been the smoke. :D

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

A little Talisker 10 earlier. Hadn't had it in ages, but it's really tasty stuff.

A little Glenfarclas 40. Still basking in the glow of my wedding weekend.

Edited by OutlawSW

Hey, congrats from me too. And many great years to come. Cheers!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!