What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Candidly, it's just a painfully average peated whisky that's very over-priced. It's not awful, but I'd take Ardmore TC (at $25) over it every time. Any standard release Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg 10 are much, much better.

As far as being something "special" it is indeed a complete fail - unless by "special" they meant shockingly mediocre and not nearly as good as other stuff they've done...

Cosign. Couldn't agree more.

A little Glenfarclas 40. Still basking in the glow of my wedding weekend.

Congrats Trey! I'll pull a swig straight from the bottle for you.

A little Glenfarclas 40. Still basking in the glow of my wedding weekend.

Congrats buddy! Nice choice! (The drink, that is, though I'm sure you picked a winner for your bride as well :cool:)

I went all Islay last night. Started with a Lagavulin 12yo CS, which is the first bottle of Laga I've bought and has quickly endeared itself to me. Such great, luxurious balance of sweet malt, smoky vanilla tar and a spray of ocean salt. Best non-LE OB Islay bottle I've had.

I stepped it up a notch next with some Ardbeg Supernova. I have not found a groove with this guy yet. I get too much heat and lemon oil to appreciate the peat blast. I usually go for intensity in whisky, but this one is moving so fast that it's all a blur and nothing much is sticking for me.

Laphroaig Triple Wood up next. Yuck! A chemical nose turned into waxy silicone on the palate; tastes like it's been aged in a cheap plastic bottle under a hot sun. I bought it for use in a cocktail (which I do need to get around to sharing in the cocktail section here) and it works well for that, but I have no intention of drinking this stuff neat again.

I had to let Laph redeem itself after the truly unfortunate 3W, so I turned to a 13yo Duncan Taylor NC2 1B at 107°. This is the stuff! Soft, clean and oily malt with subtle sweet vanilla forming a cool bed for the distillery's own medicinal take on peat smoke. This one makes it easy to forgive Laphroaig for the 3W (though I have no intention of ever buying the 3W again).

I had to let Laph redeem itself after the truly unfortunate 3W, so I turned to a 13yo Duncan Taylor NC2 1B at 107°. This is the stuff! Soft, clean and oily malt with subtle sweet vanilla forming a cool bed for the distillery's own medicinal take on peat smoke. This one makes it easy to forgive Laphroaig for the 3W (though I have no intention of ever buying the 3W again).

Can't wait to try the DT 13 yr -thanks for scoring me one!

As for 3W, I wanted to like it - I wanted to LOVE it, actually... but it never really blew me away. I don't have nearly the negative reaction you had, I do kinda like it, but of the regular release stuff (10, QC, CS), it's my least favorite - I'd buy regular 10 over 3W. In fact I'd buy Laphroaig's sister distilleries Ardmore over 3W (for 1/2 the price). It's just OK at best.

I really do wish they'd do a regular release sherry finish, though - as some of the older stuff at CS I've tried that was sherried is beyond spectacular... I just can't afford any of them at $250-$500 a pop!

I really do wish they'd do a regular release sherry finish, though - as some of the older stuff at CS I've tried that was sherried is beyond spectacular... I just can't afford any of them at $250-$500 a pop!

After starting with some BenRiach 12 yr, because of your negative review, Aaron, I'm retrying the L3W. I see what you mean by the waxy and plastic references, but mine is not off-putting, just different. I don't think I'd buy it again, but I won't have any trouble finishing the bottle. I agree, it's probably the worst Laphroaig I've had. A shame, since for only about $15 more I could have had the 18 yr, which is my favorite Scotch of all.

I'm finishing off a bottle of Laphroaig 10yo that I bought last January for a Robert Burns Birthday celebration that I could not attend,...neat.

It's one of the best whiskeys I've had in a long time, just great balance and a true whiskey taste - i.e., one that is not overwhelmed by wood but still is tasty with full distillery character.

Gary

Ardbeg Galileo. It's "interesting" - but y'all were right... It starts "ok" but ends up driving off the cliff with Toonces at the wheel.

Thx to @LB for the sample!

Edited by ChainWhip

Ardbeg Galileo. It's "interesting" - but y'all were right... It starts "ok" but ends up driving off the cliff with Toonces at the wheel.
I have to agree with you here,and what is up with the odd olive note you get with this one,not Ardbeg at it's finest indeed.

Thx to @LB for the sample!

So it ends hilariously with me on the floor laughing? (Runs out to buy)

So it ends hilariously with me on the floor laughing? (Runs out to buy)

LOL! But unfortunately not as funny - this expression just fails to sustain the Ardbeg "Ooomph" and dies pitifully in a crash down the mountain :-)

Edited by ChainWhip

Pushed past the bourbon and rye for the first time in a long time this afternoon, digging out the Laphroaig 10 yr Cask Strength. Hmmm . . . peaty goodness, how I've missed thee :grin:

DeLord 25yr Armagnac - this bottle is really coming on strong!

Bought one of these a few weeks back for a nice price. I've sampled about 100 ml and will bring it to Bardstown for others to try. Very tasty and complex with some tropical fruit (mango-papaya) as a bonus to other spices, nuts and chocolate flavors. Great change of pace but...I still favor a spirit made from at least 51% corn and put in new charred oak :grin: .

I have to agree with you Thad,I managed to pick up a few on clearance and the DeLord 25yr is a pretty enjoyable pour with tons of chocolate notes and burnished cinnamon,quite complex.I find this to be a fun and enjoyable pour and one that I have everyone try that visits my house as a digestif,haven't had any complaints yet.

Change of pace is a good way to put it. I do enjoy the similarities & differences between the spirit genres - it's been (and continues) to be fun tasting my way around the world.

I was in the mood for something other than Isla, so I'm having a wee dram (ok... maybe not so wee) of Aberlour 12.:grin:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!