So what is everyone smoking?

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight I paired up a generous pour of Booker's with an Arturo Fuente Short Story.

I was less than impressed with the Booker's, it wasn't bad, but I definitely found one of the first Boubon's that I can honestly say that I thought was overpriced for what it is. I would just as soon go with Knob Creek Single Barrel as I think it is actually a better tasting whiskey at a more reasonable price.

That being said, this was an excellent paring of strength and spice between the Short Story and the Booker's. The richness of the cigar carried the somewhat lacking substance and lacking finish of the Booker's, but didn't interfere with the excellent start and mouth feel of this bourbon, nor was the Booker's too harsh on the palate to kill of the delicate spice of the Short Story.

An overall bright spot on an otherwise gloomy (weather wise) evening.

Yesterday, I smoked a Drew Estates Undercrown Toro. It is a very flavorful, full-bodied cigar. This is a cigar that is certainly box worthy. Unfortunately, I smoked the last one available at my cigar lounge.

This is a tough one, the all Domincan Wrapper and Binder take away any robust flavors from the Ecuador Sumatra Wrapper on this making it a very bland, if inoffensive smoke.

I would probably go to either extreme with this, either attempting very meek like a Maker's Mark or even a Canadian Whiskey otherwise I would go to the other side and go with an overpowering spicey bourbon or even perhaps a Rye to try and contrast with the mild tobacco of this cigar. This would probably work well with something like a Basil Hayden. (Though neither the cigar nor the bourbon is my personal taste).

Thanks for the advice. I'm impressed with your knowledge of cigars. You know my cigar better than I do. Glad to see your description matches what I am tasting.

Tonight's pleasure is a Jaime Garcia Toro. Much more flavor. Probably should have waited until after dinner as this is starting to hit me a little hard. I was afraid it would get too cold and I've got the big Duke v. UNC game to watch...

Tried an ACID for the first time tonight. I didn't think I was going to like it. The smell of the cigar was just strange. It did surprise me. I liked a lot more the I thought I would. Still pretty sure it will not be one I grab very often, and I only smoke a cigar a couple times a month, but I will go back. I thought I was just going to unload them on someone else. Will be interested to try some of the of other Drew Estates options.

Thanks for the advice. I'm impressed with your knowledge of cigars. You know my cigar better than I do. Glad to see your description matches what I am tasting.

Tonight's pleasure is a Jaime Garcia Toro. Much more flavor. Probably should have waited until after dinner as this is starting to hit me a little hard. I was afraid it would get too cold and I've got the big Duke v. UNC game to watch...

Glad to help, though I'd describe my knowledge as "expansive" rather than impressive. I've just smoked a lot of cigars.

I was recently gifted a Partagas Salamone from a friend visiting from overseas. Big cigar packed with spice, earth and creamy flavors. Smoked beautifully and amazingly even.... which is always a chore with a salamone.

post-1354-14489817755975_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817756421_thumb.jpg

Took advantage of some nice weather this evening to enjoy some Maker's 46 along with a long since discontinued Montecruz Negra Cubano.

These were (I believe) a JR Cigars exclusive (at least they started out that way), and were on sale often at least initially, and I got a box on sale back around 2002 or 2003. I smoked about half the box, and found the other 1/2 box recently tucked away at the bottom of one of my cooler-dors (I really should rotate them more often I guess).

Nice spice from the dark still oily Ecuador Sumatra wrapper. There are definitely hints of coffee and Chocolate, though they are a bit more muted than they were 10 or so years ago. It is definitely a smooth smoke now (pretty sure it started out that way).

It is a well constructed cigar that draws easily and burns nice and even. Not much in tar buildup and it never gets bitter, only turning a bit hot as I reach the band.

It is a shame they have gone away, since they were a nice affordable stick, but then again, there is little here that excites and makes it more memorable than anything else, and I guess can easily be replaced with another stick.

Beautiful warm evening in the Carolina's tonight. Took time to enjoy an Acid Deep Dish. Definitely not one to pair with any bourbon, but had already enjoyed some Eagle Rare 10 year. The box press cigar gives an interesting mouth feel vs. most cigars. More flavor than a Kuba Kuba. Unfortunately didn't burn very even, but a very good smoke and wonderful end to a good dinner and evening.

Thursday night meana bowling. Bowling means Devil's Cut. Needed something simple but quick and tasty to go with it. Tonight that is a Punch Punch. Simple tobacco with an earthy aroma and hints of espresso.

Had a Padron '64 for the first time and loved it. Now I know what special occasion cigar I will have b/c the price is a little steep for every now and then!:cool:

Tonight it is a DPG Cuban Classic Robusto with a pour of Bowman Bourbon.

Tonight it is a DPG Cuban Classic Robusto with a pour of Bowman Bourbon.

Nice way to settle in after a tough day.... hang in there Greg...

I enjoy Casa Magna Colorado cigars. They are full bodied and very flavorful. I purchased a box of Casa Magna Domus Magnus Limitada cigars thinking they might be outstanding. They were good but not worth the price. The Casa Magna Colorado Cigars are superior.

Had an Illusione Epernay Petite this afternoon. This is from a 2009 cab and they really are hitting their stride now. There was a definite graham cracker note that would pair very well with champagne (that was the intention of the blend). Anyhow, no champagne for me...just ORVW 10YR 107.

Bolivar BF today while watching basketball with some beer, no bourbon though will have some tomorrow while watching MSU and OSU.

Smoked a fantastic Perdomo 10th anniversary Champagne torpedo following a Caps win and a nice dinner. Big, smooth, smoke!

Took full advantage of the 70 degree day here in NJ, and once I got the little one off to bed, I sat back with a La Escepcion Dahlia. This is one of my true pleasure cigars. When I bought it back around 2000, I think I paid about $79 a box for them. Now they run $55.00 for 10. So now they are awesome AND cheap (relatively). Paired up with some old Jim Beam Black 7 Year Old... it was a great way to end the day.

Punch Special Seleccion #1.. always a spot on cigar...

Have you bought any Puch cigars that were made in Denali since they closed the Villazon factory? (Would be boxes stamped January 2010 or later)

I quit smoking 30 years ago today.

I had a deal with my self when I 1quit smoking that after a year I'd allow myself to smoke a cigar under specific circumstances. About 16 months later the conditions were met.

I found myself in a smoke shop in Toronto and was going to purchase a Cuban cigar when I said why the hell am I doing this. Put the cigar back and haven't looked back (too much).

Flor De A. Allones Especial No. 5 and a Perfect. JBB Manhattan while outside grilling up some steaks for dinner.

This wasn't a particularly good pairing. Even after sitting in my humidor for a dozen years

This smoke simply overpowers a Manhattan and a good amount of the drim

nks flavor is lost.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!