So what is everyone smoking?

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pipe Smoker here, McClelland's Black Parrot in a clay bowl with reed stem.

A dusty JTS Brown 86 really cut through the smoking palate to present its flavors nicely.

Ok, I had a few unsuccessful pairings this weekend by my undeveloped preferences. As nice as it is, the FR1B current wasn't meshing with my maduros. Any suggestions? But tonight, this short story is rocking my EWSB '00! This really does it for me!

Ok, I had a few unsuccessful pairings this weekend by my undeveloped preferences. As nice as it is, the FR1B current wasn't meshing with my maduros. Any suggestions? But tonight, this short story is rocking my EWSB '00! This really does it for me!

Need a little more info on what was wrong with the pairing, and more about your cigar. A full bodied maduro? Nicaraguan? Honduran? (I'm assuming not Dominican, since that would have been more mild and easier to blend in taste wise).

And I am convinced that a Fuente Short Story with its Cameroon Wrapper and medium bodied Dominican Tobacco can pair with just about any bourbon, and do it well. (Fuente is about the only cigar I smoke that has so much Dominican Tobacco influence, they seem to be able to get more out of Dominican Tobacco than anybody else... in my not so humble opinion of course).

Need a little more info on what was wrong with the pairing, and more about your cigar. A full bodied maduro? Nicaraguan? Honduran? (I'm assuming not Dominican, since that would have been more mild and easier to blend in taste wise).

And I am convinced that a Fuente Short Story with its Cameroon Wrapper and medium bodied Dominican Tobacco can pair with just about any bourbon, and do it well. (Fuente is about the only cigar I smoke that has so much Dominican Tobacco influence, they seem to be able to get more out of Dominican Tobacco than anybody else... in my not so humble opinion of course).

Last night was an EPC Carrillo, it seemed to overpower the Four Roses, like the proof wasn't able to break through and integrate with the flavors. Before that was a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor and it basically ended the same way, too much cigar and not enough from the bourbon. I honestly would like to give you more info but I am not to that level of description yet. I can tell you that OFBB '11 paired well with an A. Torrent Maduro and a Padron Maduro that I can't recall. Sorry if this is jibberish, but thank you for you assistance!:grin:

You descriptions were fine. This isn't rocket science. I am a little surprise though that the 4R1B didn't stand up so well to this.

I guess you would need to find something in a medium to mild profile, since these are medium-full and full flavored.

I would look for something with Honduran or Dominican Tobacco and avoid Nicaraguan.

Some things that are decent, not too whimpy and may suit you would include:

Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon - Not as washed out as most Toranos, the Cameroon adds some nice flavor to this cigar while maintaining a relatively mild just short of medium profile.

Onyx - A mile Maduro with a very easy draw, they are pleasant enough, have a fairly good sweet Maduro taste, and shouldn't interfere with anything. Personally though, I find them a bit boring, but if other Maduros are overpowering your tastebuds, this may work for you.

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 - A nice rich tasting maduro that isn't too heavy or full bodied thanks to a nice blend of Dominican Tobacco that is just great to taste without overwhelming.

I could try to find some more but these are the best options (or those like them) that I can think of at this point. Hopefully you can find something there that fits your needs.

• 2 weeks later...
You descriptions were fine. This isn't rocket science. I am a little surprise though that the 4R1B didn't stand up so well to this.

I guess you would need to find something in a medium to mild profile, since these are medium-full and full flavored.

I would look for something with Honduran or Dominican Tobacco and avoid Nicaraguan.

Some things that are decent, not too whimpy and may suit you would include:

Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon - Not as washed out as most Toranos, the Cameroon adds some nice flavor to this cigar while maintaining a relatively mild just short of medium profile.

Onyx - A mile Maduro with a very easy draw, they are pleasant enough, have a fairly good sweet Maduro taste, and shouldn't interfere with anything. Personally though, I find them a bit boring, but if other Maduros are overpowering your tastebuds, this may work for you.

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 - A nice rich tasting maduro that isn't too heavy or full bodied thanks to a nice blend of Dominican Tobacco that is just great to taste without overwhelming.

I could try to find some more but these are the best options (or those like them) that I can think of at this point. Hopefully you can find something there that fits your needs.

Sorry I did not see this sooner but the 4R1B was a great pour without but I have not found one suitable. I will def. take your advice though.

I had the Pappy 15 with a Short Story and that was just great! I continued with OWA NAS with a Cohiba Corona and it was fine. The whiskey was great but the Cohiba was very light and had an easy pull, to easy. I could have had a better cigar but decided to try the Cohiba. I have certainly enjoyed the Padron '64 maduro and La Gloria Maduro. I haven't hated anything but I strive to experience better. :grin:

Just finished up supper of grilled salmon w/ capers, EVOO, garlic, and lemon, with a side of grilled baby spinach. Beam OGD in the glass. And, a La Traviata Maduro, while sitting out back on another splendid evening, here Down South. Not sure it can get better than this...

Back to an old, reliable favorite last evening... LGC Wavell. One tough stick to beat for quality and value..

Back to an old, reliable favorite last evening... LGC Wavell. One tough stick to beat for quality and value..

Oh man... I haven't had one of those in a long time. You are right, they are a great stick at a good price. I know what I am adding to my next order.

Oh man... I haven't had one of those in a long time. You are right, they are a great stick at a good price. I know what I am adding to my next order.

For less than $4 a stick how can one not have them in the rotation..... both maddie and nats..

Tatuaje Tattoo from 08 today while watching some hockey with some Four Roses yellow label, a good day.

Best regards, Tony

Once I sent all rhe guests home and cleaned up, a little me time was in order, so I unwound with a genuine Counterfeit Cuban and some Knob Creek Single Barrel.

Once I sent all rhe guests home and cleaned up, a little me time was in order, so I unwound with a genuine Counterfeit Cuban and some Knob Creek Single Barrel.

The Counterfeit Cuban is one of the best value low priced sticks on the market IMO...... blows the fdoos off a lot of sticks that cost 3x as much...

Had a Cohiba Siglo I. Friend brought a bottle of Templeton Rye. Not a favorite of mine, particularly given the shady back-story. But it was an enjoyable break after a rough day.

Last evening was a HDM Le Hoyo Des Dieux.... very nice cigar to go with a number of good whiskies.....

A "lost in the humi special"... one of those unbanded sticks you find in the humi and have no idea what it is.... this one was OK... but I suspect a DR with way too much age on it.

Oliva serie G with my OWA. it was a slow starter but is really getting good halfway through. Still not quite a short story to me.

Oliva serie G with my OWA. it was a slow starter but is really getting good halfway through. Still not quite a short story to me.

Oliva has always been hit or miss (usually miss) for me.

Saint Luis Rey Serie A ..... always a spot on cigar when they have some age on them.....

Today I enjoyed a Rocky Patel Royal Vintage and a glass of Jim Beam Black with water. A very nice combo that brought out a lot of flavors in both the cigar and the drink.

The Royal Vintage was a great smoke. Iv had many Rocky Patels but this was the first Royal Vintage and it was a solid 8.9 out of 10. Very nice stick, great flavor, lots of thick smoke, easy draw, and typical perfect burn from and structure from a Patel. Got it from cigar.com and recommend it strongly. :bandit:

post-8475-14489817855935_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!