So what is everyone smoking?

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yesterday I smoked a Casa Magna Domus Magnus Limitada and a Gurkha Cellar Resreve (aged 15 yrs). The Casa Magna was excellent with great flavors. I believe that the Gurkha Cellar Reserve is the best cigar in the Gurkha line; however, it is too expensive and was inferior to the Casa Magna.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my first humidor today along with some Rocky Patels, 5 Vegas and a small tin of ACID's (I am regretting that onlone purchase). Interested to start smoking some of the Rocky's. Stupid question, do you guys keep the wrappers on in the humidor or take them off? I have seen recommendations for both.

In general I keep cigars that are wrapped in a CT Shade in cellophane (though honestly, I rarely ever buy anything but Maduro. If you go mostly with mild wrappers and only occasionally buy Maduo, you could probably reverse it.

Word to the wise, keep those acids away from your real cigars and don't put them in your humidor. If you need to store them a while, use a ziplock bag.

Thanks for the info Jay. All I bought were Maduro's, except the ACIDs. I find that I like Maduro's the best. I smelled the ACID's and put them far away from the others. I didn't want those wearing off on the others in the humidor. I really wish I hadn't fallen into the trap on the website that I purchased them from. Reminds me of clove cigarettes an old girlfriend used to smoke.

I did pull them all out after reading some more info on line. I will get it curing tomorrow when I get some distilled water. Thanks again.

The cellophane will actually breathe somewhat and is fine to leave on. I've read that if they're not going anywhere else other than your home, take it off. If you might take them somewhere else, leave them on just to help protect them in transport.

Best thing I found for maintenance is beads or gel for humidification rather than the humidifier that probably came with it which is usually some type of florists foam. You can see the state of the beads or gel which is nice and they aren't expensive. Plus the beads or gel will actually give off or absorb moisture in order to maintain a constant humidity.

Rich

I did buy a cigar bar humidifier and the glycol to go along with it. I had the humidor shipped to me, and it did not come with a gauge. I guess I can find one of those easy enough.

I did buy a cigar bar humidifier and the glycol to go along with it. I had the humidor shipped to me, and it did not come with a gauge. I guess I can find one of those easy enough.

As I look through my humidors I find some sticks from Pinar Del Rio, Rocky Patel, Oliva, 262 Cigars and a few others down in there somewhere!

Last night I attended an Oliva tasting event at Riverside Cigar Lounge in Jeffersonville Indiana. This was my first official tasting event... I went to this because I have been a fan of the Oliva line for some time now. For the tasting I was given an Oliva Serie V Lancero and a Oliva Serio O Corona. Both were excellent, they also provided a bit of Bowmore Single Malt and Zaya 12yo Rum. I didn't care for the Bowmore however thought the Zaya paired pretty well with the Oliva Serie O. Matter of fact I was surprised because the only time I reach for any rum is if I'm the designated bartender at some party and I'm mixing freezer drinks for the ladies.

They had a variety of foods to taste with the cigars, but I was more interested in booze than chocolate chips! :grin:

If you use the glycol, you really don't need the hygrometer, and besides, most of the ones you will find at a reasonable prices, simply do not work all that well.

The pinch test is the easiest way to keep an eye on humidity. Pinch the oopen end of a cigar, if it is spongy and stays flattened or returns to shape slowly, too much humidity, springs right back good, doesn't move or "crunches", too dry.

I've been meaning to look into the glycol solution or beads. Do you just put them into the humidor? How much room do they take up? How often do you have to replace them? I've been using distilled water and the humidifier that came with my humidor, but I'm constantly checking it (which is part of the reason I picked up a pipe and some pipe tobacco recently).

I've been meaning to look into the glycol solution or beads. Do you just put them into the humidor? How much room do they take up? How often do you have to replace them? I've been using distilled water and the humidifier that came with my humidor, but I'm constantly checking it (which is part of the reason I picked up a pipe and some pipe tobacco recently).

I got the cigar bar (holder) for $3 and glycol solution for 11 at jungle Jim's. It just takes up the space of about 1 cigar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heartfelt makes beads that come in various sizes to fit the humidor. From a small, cigar shaped container to large, 1 lb bags for really large humidors. The website has pictures and recommendations for the various sizes.

The containers are clear and you just observe the beads to see if/when you need to add any distilled water. They are supposed to last forever according to the website. You can buy beads set for a specific rh - 65 or 70% rh for example.

If you've got some very expensive cigars - let's say from pre-embargo Cuba for example - you will want to invest in a good quality digital hygrometer just so you can sleep well at night. But if you're like me, I just got rid of the cheap, inaccurate thing and trust the beads. No problems, no worries, works great.

I've been meaning to look into the glycol solution or beads. Do you just put them into the humidor? How much room do they take up? How often do you have to replace them? I've been using distilled water and the humidifier that came with my humidor, but I'm constantly checking it (which is part of the reason I cked up a pipe and some pipe tobacco recently).

A couple. things at play here. First the humidifier that came with your humidor is probably a piece of junk. They usually are. But beyond that, it sounds to me like either your humidor isn't seasoned or doesn't have a good seal (which could be because of the need to be seasoned.

If you do pick up a cigar bar or other solution, I would start over, season the humidor before adding the cigar bar. Put everything back and watch. If you are adding water in a week (or less), then the "seal" of your humidor is no good.

I was out in Vegas over the weekend and picked up one of the exclusive cigars available at Casa Fuente. I think they described it as the Opus X filler witha Cameroon wrapper. It was ok, but unremarkable; especially given the price paid I was expecting much more.

I was out in Vegas over the weekend and picked up one of the exclusive cigars available at Casa Fuente. I think they described it as the Opus X filler witha Cameroon wrapper. It was ok, but unremarkable; especially given the price paid I was expecting much more.

I find this true with a lot of cigars with Cameroon wrappers in general, add to the price the fact that you picked it up in a tourist trap location that specializes in selling more to "high roller" wanna-bes than anything else, and you wind up with an overpriced and underwhelming experience... unfortunately.

(In general, A. Fuente does make some exceptional cigars though).

actually, I love Cameroon wrapped cigars, generally speaking; that is what sold be on this particular one. Yes, Vegas is a trap, and yes, the shop is in a high end area; but given that this is Fuente's flagship store I guess I just expected something phenomenal- that's why I was willing to pay the price.

actually, I love Cameroon wrapped cigars, generally speaking; that is what sold be on this particular one. Yes, Vegas is a trap, and yes, the shop is in a high end area; but given that this is Fuente's flagship store I guess I just expected something phenomenal- that's why I was willing to pay the price.

I was talking about the price. Camwroon wrappers can be very good, but they tend to be very fragile and more limited in supply making them typically more expensive.

The other issue that I forgot to mention is that most stores like that tend to over humidify to accoint for the in/out traffic. Let it sit in your humidor a while and settle and you may have gotten a bit more flavor out of it.

Either way, it is sad that you had such a sub par experience with what sounds like it ahould have been a nice blend.

Well, I did buy an extra to bring home, so we'll see what round 2 brings...and hope you are right!

Well, I did buy an extra to bring home, so we'll see what round 2 brings...and hope you are right!

You really got me thinking since we started this. I dug into my humidor and found and Opus X and a Hemingway Short Story from 2001. I may have to fire up one of those this weekend if the weather holds (can't smoke 'em in the house).

yeah, now I'm jones'n too...may have to visit one of the local cigar clubs this weekend. used to have a nice smoking room before I got divorced, but I'm letting the ex stay there until the kids move out....someday I will reclaim it. until then, outside or a club it is...sigh.

• 2 weeks later...

I plan on firing up a pipefull of peter stokkebye luxury Bullseye flake and pouring a glass of Elmer t lee. The sweetness of the tobacco compliments the bourbon nicely

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!