Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

JamesW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Cragganmore 12 is a terrific dram. It has about the busiest nose in SMS; sort of the Elmer T. Lee of the Scotch world.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up 4 bottles. :shocked:

Highland Park 18, Longmorn 15, Dalmore 12, and Laphroaig 10. Been drinking a lot of Scotch lately and needed to replace some fallen (or soon-to-fall) soldiers.

Regards,

I picked up 4 bottles. :shocked:

Highland Park 18, Longmorn 15, Dalmore 12, and Laphroaig 10. Been drinking a lot of Scotch lately and needed to replace some fallen (or soon-to-fall) soldiers.

Regards,

That's a nice haul there, T. How is Dalmore? Been interested in trying it...

Yesterday I picked up some Redbreast 12 for the first time. Very mellow and subtle, as I would expect from a triple-distilled Irish. Some toasted nut/coffee cake aromas, with wood and sherry flavours. More balanced than Jameson 12, I would say.

Yesterday I picked up some Redbreast 12 for the first time. Very mellow and subtle, as I would expect from a triple-distilled Irish. Some toasted nut/coffee cake aromas, with wood and sherry flavours. More balanced than Jameson 12, I would say.

Rb 12 is my favorite Irish.

I also use it in my favorite malt vatting, a 1:1 with a'bunadh. Both are very rich, and the Rb cuts the peat and sherry. Plus the resulting proof is about 100, which is, as Goldilocks would say, "just right".

Agreed. Redbreast is simply fantastic with the fullest mouthfeel of an 80-proofer I know.

Dalmore is very good and an excellent value. The 12 is well-balanced, purportedly a 60:40 bourbon cask:sherry cask ratio. The sweet vanilla and beautiful fruit (orange, mostly, and some plum) mean that it can be used as an after dinner drink, but it's not so sherry heavy as some other Highland malts have become, so it's good anytime. In the UK, the bottling has changed to a 50:50 ratio, and I have not tasted this more sherry-heavy version, but it will probably replace the current version on US shelves soon (with a price increase, no doubt:rolleyes:). I don't go as crazy for the Dalmore Cigar Malt, but it is rumored to be whiskey in its teens. It's more sherried and richer and quite good with chocolate (and cigars, though I actually prefer it with a good Virginia pipe tobacco).

Regards,

I went to Specs today and got a bottle of Glenfarclas 105. I haven't have this particular release. I also bought 3 bottles of 1.75 liters of Glen Parker for my home maturing project.

• 2 weeks later...
Today I picked up a Redbreast 12 yr. Looking forward to enjoying some this evening.

Please let us know your thoughts. If you have had Jameson 12 or Black Bush, I am interested in your differences between them

The Redbreast is really quite nice. I've had the Jamesons 12 but not the Bushmills. The Redbreast reminds me of a combo of Old Pulteney for brine, some Talisker for spice, and Balvenie doublewood for the sherry notes. It is superior to the Jamesons no doubt. I don't have them side-by-side so this is from memory. I last had the Jamesons about 3 weeks ago. All in all terrific whisky!

The Redbreast is really quite nice. I've had the Jamesons 12 but not the Bushmills. The Redbreast reminds me of a combo of Old Pulteney for brine, some Talisker for spice, and Balvenie doublewood for the sherry notes. It is superior to the Jamesons no doubt. I don't have them side-by-side so this is from memory. I last had the Jamesons about 3 weeks ago. All in all terrific whisky!

Thanks, I think I will purchase a bottle this weekend!

Are you comparing Redbreast 12 to regular Jameson? If so, you really should try Jameson 12, as it is a much fairer comparison. I still think Redbreast wins for balance, though. Jameson 12 is almost completely overtaken by the sherried wood, whereas Redbreast leaves room for lovely malt flavour.

Agreed. Jameson 12 is better than Jameson, and plain ol' Jameson is better than it used to be: Jim Murray has pointed out that the pot still stuff that once wound up in Powers seems to be getting into Jameson bottles these days. Regardless, I prefer all of 'em to most of the Bushmills I've tasted (Black Bush excepted: what a balanced dram it is, and just right before a hearty dinner).

Regards,

Are you comparing Redbreast 12 to regular Jameson? If so, you really should try Jameson 12, as it is a much fairer comparison. I still think Redbreast wins for balance, though. Jameson 12 is almost completely overtaken by the sherried wood, whereas Redbreast leaves room for lovely malt flavour.

You are right Sir. It was Jamesons and not Jamesons 12 I that I had for comparison. Thanks for the correction.

Yesterday I purchased the Compass Box Peat Monster, since it was $10 off at the LCBO. Pretty good so fa, though I've only had one drink. Less salty than most Islays I've had. More smoke and peat, with some Speyside character hiding beneath the tangy burnt-grass aromas. It will definitely require further exploration...

New purchase; Danfield's Limited Edition 21-year-old. This stuff is excellent. Lots of vanilla, hints of fruit and butterscotch. Full on the palate, with a huge oak presence.

New purchase; Danfield's Limited Edition 21-year-old. This stuff is excellent. Lots of vanilla, hints of fruit and butterscotch. Full on the palate, with a huge oak presence.

Sounds very nice. Is the Danfield's a sherry cask or bourbon?

Definitely not sherry; probably refill bourbon or whatever the Candian standard is.

I now have the two oldest Canadian whiskies on the market in my collection...

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys go easy on me, I'm not sure where I'm at (due to the fact) I've never been in this area of the board :lol:!

Well thanks to the advice of some folks here (STU and AVB (also on cigarpass) thank you both) I picked up today for a very modest price.

Ardbeg 1977 in the box, ran out and grabbed it at lunch, so no picture but I may post one latter tonight.

This makes for my second bottle of SMS...the first was a purchase due to a right up from Eric Meir who raved about the Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist (AKA the Beast) which I too really enjoy. I'm hoping the 1977 is just as good.

Cheers!

Tony

...Well thanks to the advice of some folks here (STU and AVB (also on cigarpass) thank you both) I picked up today for a very modest price.

Ardbeg 1977 in the box, ran out and grabbed it at lunch, so no picture but I may post one latter tonight.

This makes for my second bottle of SMS...the first was a purchase due to a right up from Eric Meir who raved about the Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist (AKA the Beast) which I too really enjoy. I'm hoping the 1977 is just as good.

Cheers!

Tony

Holy Crap! Part of me wants to know how much this cost you and part of me does not.

I do however, hope you found it for a really good 'ole dusty-bottle price as it's definitely considered a collectible by anyone who knows and loves Ardbeg. Glad to hear you'll be cracking it open as it would be a shame to let it sit.

Since attending a tasting of Laphroaig, I've hunted down older bottlings of:

Laphroaig (10 yr, 10 yr cask strength, 15 yr, and a 30 yr); Ardbeg (10 yr, the Beast and 17 yr); and Lagavulin 16 yr (one older White Horse bottle and a current bottling too).

And please, oh please, let me be the first to beg, borrow and plead...

Should you find and/or know the whereabouts of another I would love to have a bottle. Closest I've gotten in my hunts is the 17 yr and it's fantastic!

As it seems you enjoy the Islay style, do yourself a favor and get a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yr - it's incredible!

Congrats on a great find... oh, and you suck!:grin:

~tp

Todd, thank you...I think :grin:! I did notice tonight this stuff says unchill filtered and 46% so I think it will be great! Here are a couple pics, The guy says he has more at the other store so well see Monday! Price was a couple dollars cheaper than the Beast I bought this summer.

Tony

Damn not sure why those came in sideways but I can not fix it now! Sorry but you can flip your lap top side ways.

post-2689-14489814586369_thumb.jpg

post-2689-14489814586755_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Old Pulteny 12 and Teachers today. I like Teachers and I hope that it will extend the life of my single malts. My wife really put a hurting on my Cragganmore 12.

And please, oh please, let me be the first to beg, borrow and plead...

Should you find and/or know the whereabouts of another I would love to have a bottle. Closest I've gotten in my hunts is the 17 yr and it's fantastic!

I know of another Ardbeg 1997 but its not for sale. Its on my shelf by the bar. he,he,he.

I also have the ff Ardbegs:

Spirit of Scotland 22 yrs

OMC 30 yrs (so called the Green Monster)

Lord of the Isles 25 yrs

OMC 25 years

and my prize one is Ardbeg Mhor 4.5 liters which I may open when my oldest son gets married next year!

• 2 weeks later...

45cf46fe.jpg

I have found a real taste for Teachers as well. It is a bit hard to find in SoFla so I jumped when I found this 1.75l bottle for $29 the other day. Is this a blend of single malts?

45cf46fe.jpg

I have found a real taste for Teachers as well. It is a bit hard to find in SoFla so I jumped when I found this 1.75l bottle for $29 the other day. Is this a blend of single malts?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!