Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

JamesW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Do let us know once you've tried the 18. Interested to hear how it compares to the 12.

I plan on having it to ring in the new year!!! Will do!

Do let us know once you've tried the 18. Interested to hear how it compares to the 12.

In my opinion, the MacAllan 18 is THE quintessential sherry-matured single malt. If you are only allowed to try 5 single malt whiskies in your life, this has to be one of them.

It definitely has more depth than the 12-year, but isn't as overbearingly-oaky as the 25-year. XO Cognac has nothing on this hearty, ultra-refined whisky.

We had an unseasonably warm and thus rolling-misty night, which reminded me somewhat of the image of a Scottish moor. I decided only one thing would fill the bill: Springbank.

I last had Springbank a decade ago, when they were selling more age-expressions than Glenfarclas does. They're just down to a 10YO and a 10YO 100 proof that I could find (the distillery itself is mothballed). so I grabbed the 100 proofer. Fresh, clean, EXACTLY what I wanted.

Also picked up Edradour (sweet, sherry-ish) and Balvenie 10YO Founder's Reserve, which was its usual pleasant self. Jim Murray's Whisky Bible laments that this expression is being killed off, but Binny's seems to have plenty of it. And at 43%, not the 40% in his book.

I just posted my weekend shopping over in the general bourbon forum, but one of the bottles was a Penderyn AC single malt Welsh whisky. Aged in bourbon casks and finished in madiera.

Well how is it? I think that stuff goes for $100 in these parts.

Was with the extended family this past week for Christmas and we finally popped the Penderyn. I found it to be soft, sweet and fruity, maybe best compared with a highland single malt. (??) Kind of like it was the younger sister of the bourbon that we moved on to next. I prefer an Islay style to this, but that's not to say that I didn't enjoy it. We poured the Penderyn as a starter 3 nights in a row. They definitely know how to make whisky.

I put that idea in your head, didn't I? ;-)

My last bottle of the 18 was finished about a month ago and I'd been waffling about getting another one given the price and the other bottle I've wanted to try. Hearing you talk about it got me craving it real bad.... :grin:

Just picked up an Old Ballantruan and a few Bruichladdich ACE'D wkiskys. The 25 yr Brora and 29 yr Port Ellen arrived Tuesday. The Octomore is also on its way.

Laphroaig 15 this evening. I just received a bottle in trade from a fellow SB'er but this one was in the canister and the label in different than the one I just received. It is one of my favorites so it can not hurt to have a spare!

Two bottles of Alberta Premium Limited Edition. They were $2.00 off an already ridiculous price. I think I'm on my third glass, and it's starting to show. But what the hell, I write better with a buzz...

Picked up a Clynelish 14. Looking for ward to tasting tonight.

Had this one before? I've never tried it myself.

It is a Highland Malt. It has brine and spice. It's really tough to pin a comparative malt. If forced to draw one, I'd say it's like an oily, salty, spicier Glenfiddich maybe? I'll need to spend more time with it I suppose....

Make a comparison, if you can. Does it remind you of another malt? It is a Speyside malt, no?

Here's a quote from Malt Advocate... I agree with most it. They rated it an 87 which sound about right....

Clynelish, 14 year old, 46%, $45 87 Points

It's good to see an official distillery bottling of Clynelish in the U.S. This one is very true to the Clynelish style: fresh, appetizing, and very drinkable. Notes of brine, fruit (lemon-lime), and vanilla-accented malt, are the foundation of this whisky. Delicate seaweed, peat, exotic pepper and a hint of citrus rind bitterness entertain the palate throughout, all the way to its appetizingly briny, seaweed-tinged finish. Perhaps the definitive aperitif whisky.

(4th Quarter 2004 Issue-Vol. 13#4)

Just wanted to add that I just noticed that the Clynelish 14 won Double Gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

JamesW

Picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr yesterday for $41 which is the standard price in MI. What was so good about it is that it included a free sample of the HP 18yr 50ml bottle with it. The 18yr goes for about $100 a bottle here. I liked so much I picked up a second bottle. HP is my favorite single malt and at #40, a bargain compared to most of the other single malts.

TJ

Picked up a Laphroaig QC, Lagavulin 16, and Ardberg 10.

Talisker is my next single malt purchase but I am interested Laph QC and 10. They are reasonably priced around here ar $40. Well, reasonable for a single malt.

Picked up the HP 18yo today. Looking forward to trying this one. Did see a Macallan 18 yo sherry finished for $185. Seemed to be a bit high to me. What do you think?

Picked up the HP 18yo today. Looking forward to trying this one. Did see a Macallan 18 yo sherry finished for $185. Seemed to be a bit high to me. What do you think?

I'm envious. Plan to save pennies and buy a bottle in a couple of months. PLease post some tastings on the HP 18yr.

TJ

JamesW

Picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr yesterday for $41 which is the standard price in MI. What was so good about it is that it included a free sample of the HP 18yr 50ml bottle with it. The 18yr goes for about $100 a bottle here. I liked so much I picked up a second bottle. HP is my favorite single malt and at #40, a bargain compared to most of the other single malts.

TJ

I got that same gift pack, though it cost me $54. Highland Park 12 is just fantastic. Haven't tried the 18 yet...maybe this weekend...

I got that same gift pack, though it cost me $54. Highland Park 12 is just fantastic. Haven't tried the 18 yet...maybe this weekend...

Canada dollars or US dollars? - don't remember what the exchange rate is. It changes so much I can never keep track.

TJ

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!