Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

JamesW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up The Famous Grouse 12 yesterday. It wasn't on my radar at all, but I noticed that PA was closing it out and dropping the price down. I coincedentally bought the regular FG last week so I'll get to try them together. I think I read on the label that FG12 has no grain spirits and the wiskeys are married in wood and not just blended and bottled. This sounds promising.

Some of the best whisky you can get for the money, if you ask me.

I just posted my weekend shopping over in the general bourbon forum, but one of the bottles was a Penderyn AC single malt Welsh whisky. Aged in bourbon casks and finished in madiera.

I just posted my weekend shopping over in the general bourbon forum, but one of the bottles was a Penderyn AC single malt Welsh whisky. Aged in bourbon casks and finished in madiera.

Well how is it? I think that stuff goes for $100 in these parts.

Well how is it? I think that stuff goes for $100 in these parts.

I can't say. Unfortunately I caught my kids' cold and my smelling and tasting is temporarilly limited. I paid $67 so I'm not about to waste it while numb. For now I have to keep it inexpensive, and peaty/smokey just so I can feel something. Last night's pour was White Horse.

I picked up the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban today. I've never had a port-finished Scotch before. It's pretty decent stuff, sweet and malty with fruity wine notes. Should have gone for Talisker 18 instead, though...

Yeah, Glenmorangie just hasn't done anything for me yet. I'm hoping to be impressed at some point. It just seems pleasant and uneventfull to me at this point. I like a little more depth.

I was out of town and in a local liquor store I found these bargain. A 12 yr old Glenlivet with two glasses for $30. So I bought it. Glenlivet being one of the better known Speyside single malt is popular here in the US. But its too mild for my taste. But the price is a bargain. The local store sells it for $36.

I think The Glenlivet 12 is good for a cheaper Scotch.

I just picked up Glenkinchie Distillers Edition 1992. Haven't opened yet, though; saving it for the weekend!

Picked up a Glenlivet Nadurra and an Old Pulteney 12 this morning.

I tried Nadurra the other day and thought it was lovely! Very good price for what it is, too. I will have to get some eventually...

My most recent purchase was Talisker 18. It might be the best whisky I've ever tasted.

I tried Nadurra the other day and thought it was lovely! Very good price for what it is, too. I will have to get some eventually...

My most recent purchase was Talisker 18. It might be the best whisky I've ever tasted.

I agree. The Talisker 18 may well be my favorite Scotch. The 10 yr version isn't too bad either. The Nadurra was on sale for $50 so I'm looking forward to it. The OP12 is a phenomenal value for $35.

I agree. The Talisker 18 may well be my favorite Scotch. The 10 yr version isn't too bad either. The Nadurra was on sale for $50 so I'm looking forward to it. The OP12 is a phenomenal value for $35.

Talisker 10 has gone up to $72 in Ontario, so the $96 I paid for the 18 doesn't seem to bad, really. I loved the 10 but the 18 is really that much better. Only had one glass so far...I'm hoping it lasts me quite some time...

Trying to decide on my next purchase. I'm thinking the Nadurra or probably The Arran Malt Tokaji Aszu finish. It sounds promising, and that distillery puts out some fantastic whisky from my experience.

Talisker 10 has gone up to $72 in Ontario, so the $96 I paid for the 18 doesn't seem to bad, really. I loved the 10 but the 18 is really that much better. Only had one glass so far...I'm hoping it lasts me quite some time...

Trying to decide on my next purchase. I'm thinking the Nadurra or probably The Arran Malt Tokaji Aszu finish. It sounds promising, and that distillery puts out some fantastic whisky from my experience.

The 10 is $50 here and the 18 is $72. I agree that the 18 is that much better. $96 CAD is not too bad to be honest.

Not sure why, I don't even know if I like it but I thought it was older Single Malt.

Now looking at the cylinder I see this is not a 750ml...it's 4/5 quart.

Black tube with gold, with red writing.

Ten Year Old

GLENFIDDICH

unblended

Scotch Whisky

Looking inside the bottle is tax stamped and came with a neck tag to free membership to the Academy of Malt Scotch Whisky.

Unlike bourbon Scotch bottles do not show a year in the glass on the bottom. Any ideas of the date on this bottle! I'll post note once open.

QUESTION? After looking online a little I do not see this available anymore? Does Glenfiddich make the 10yr expression any more?

Thanks,

Tony

Looks very close to the late 60's bottle I had but without having them side by side it is hard to say for sure. Mine had a date and "William Grant and Sons" on the tax stamp.

The 10 is $50 here and the 18 is $72. I agree that the 18 is that much better. $96 CAD is not too bad to be honest.

No, I agree. I wanted to grab a bottle before Diageo jacks up the price like the rest of their products.

Not sure why, I don't even know if I like it but I thought it was older Single Malt.

Now looking at the cylinder I see this is not a 750ml...it's 4/5 quart.

Black tube with gold, with red writing.

Ten Year Old

GLENFIDDICH

unblended

Scotch Whisky

Looking inside the bottle is tax stamped and came with a neck tag to free membership to the Academy of Malt Scotch Whisky.

Unlike bourbon Scotch bottles do not show a year in the glass on the bottom. Any ideas of the date on this bottle! I'll post note once open.

QUESTION? After looking online a little I do not see this available anymore? Does Glenfiddich make the 10yr expression any more?

Thanks,

Tony

Nope, Glenfiddich doesn't make a 10 and hasn't for years as far as I'm aware.

Picked up a Talisker 18 today. Probably my favorite Scotch on most days.

I put that idea in your head, didn't I? ;-)

The Macallan 12 (sherry) with an 18 yo mini!

Dewars 12

Clan MacGregor 1.75l

Do let us know once you've tried the 18. Interested to hear how it compares to the 12.

I picked up a Tyrconnell nas recently.

Because it is a single malt without any ostentatious peat or barrel finishes, somehow I got it in my mind that it would be a good comparison to a watered Glenlivet Nadurra - basic Irish Malt versus basic Scotch flavors.

That idea didn't really hold up, as the Nadurra is really its own wonderful creature, but the Tyrconnell is quite good as its own malt: a little malty (duh!), a little sweet pear flavor, and a taste that starts sweet and finishes dry. It's quite good, but more than a bit faint and mild at its 40%abv. I'd love to have a taste of it not so heavily diluted.

When the EBSG met up last, one of us remarked on how much it has improved in the last several years. It was fresh and light compared to the Redbreast 12, which I also liked well.

Roger

Picked up a Ardbeg 10yo today.

I'm guessing it was on the shelf before the price bump 'cause I got it under $50.

Can't wait till this evening to sample it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!