Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

JamesW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

JamesW

Picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr yesterday for $41 which is the standard price in MI. What was so good about it is that it included a free sample of the HP 18yr 50ml bottle with it. The 18yr goes for about $100 a bottle here. I liked so much I picked up a second bottle. HP is my favorite single malt and at #40, a bargain compared to most of the other single malts.

TJ

The HP12 is an outstanding value. The 18 is very smooth and a wonderful dram but the price has gone up so much in the last 6 months that I fear I won't be buying it again sometime soon ($89).

Talisker is my next single malt purchase but I am interested Laph QC and 10. They are reasonably priced around here ar $40. Well, reasonable for a single malt.

Grab'em if you can. The QC was $62, the Aredberg 10 was $55 (on sale from $65) and the Talisker 10 usually runs around $52 in my parts.

The Talisker is really great scotch in my books. The 18 yr is really nice but pricey @ $75.

I just ordered Yamazaki 12 Japanese single malt. It is 28% off from the LCBO Online Vintages selection. I hope it's good!

I did a little write up of it here if you want to read it.

I just ordered Yamazaki 12 Japanese single malt. It is 28% off from the LCBO Online Vintages selection. I hope it's good!

Its more than good! It is fantastic!

Johnnie Black and Dickel #12. Exotic? No, but these two bottles are truley dangerously drinkable for me.

Found the Ardbeg 10yo on sale for 39.99 at Richey's East in P'cola, FL. They had Talisker 10yo also, but it didn't have a price on it. The guy at the counter couldn't find a price for it so he let me have it for the same sale price as the Ardbeg. The last store I saw it in had the Talisker for 63.99 so I was happy. I have two open bottles of Scotch. I need to wait a while before I open the 2 new ones but the anticipation is getting the better of me.

Found the Ardbeg 10yo on sale for 39.99 at Richey's East in P'cola, FL. They had Talisker 10yo also, but it didn't have a price on it. The guy at the counter couldn't find a price for it so he let me have it for the same sale price as the Ardbeg. The last store I saw it in had the Talisker for 63.99 so I was happy. I have two open bottles of Scotch. I need to wait a while before I open the 2 new ones but the anticipation is getting the better of me.

I remember seeing Talisker 10 for around $40 a while back. I havent seen it for under $50 since then and the store near me had it for 58$ last weekend.

In the movie Charlie Wilsons War there is a scene with Talisker which is practically a 30 second commercial for it. I selfishly thought to myself that this is going to nudge the price up a little.

Talisker was on sale in PA over the holidays at $44 or $45 ($49.99 norm). I try to get mine at Schneider's in DC when I'm down that way. It was $40 there the last few times I was in.

$40 for the Ardbeg is damn good though.

Talisker was on sale in PA over the holidays at $44 or $45 ($49.99 norm). I try to get mine at Schneider's in DC when I'm down that way. It was $40 there the last few times I was in.

$40 for the Ardbeg is damn good though.

the Ardbeg was on my original to-try list until I saw the prices. I was pleasantly surprised to find it on sale. Pensacola has become my mecca for bourbon and scotch. I've been to 3 Richey's East locations and 3 other quality package stores usually hitting 3 or 4 in one trip. I haven't even made it to the stores near the Naval Air Base yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up anCnoc 12 today. Pretty decent, but different. Light, mild, dry. Reminds me a bit of Scapa 14.

I picked up an Aberlour 10 based on reviews here and elsewhere.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's a single malt in the mid $30's, so I'm hopeful.

Do any of you have experience with this one?

I picked up an Aberlour 10 based on reviews here and elsewhere.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's a single malt in the mid $30's, so I'm hopeful.

Do any of you have experience with this one?

Yeah, it's great for the money if you like sherried malts. Quite rich and tasty.

My niece, who lives in the UK, was kind enough to bring a bottle of Balvenie Signature, Batch #1.

Can't claim purchase, but I was able to open and taste the new pc7 lastnight. What a super peat treat. Lots of iodine and sea salt mixed with a massive amount of smoke and fruit/ honey /cinnamon. Fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

2 x Red Breast duty free.

I have 2 more coming on Wed, lots of out of town visitors for the holidays.

With the currency and the discount it's half price.

I would have liked to pick up something a little more exciting but I instead bought for the first time Chivas 12. I kept missing this one for quite awhile because it is in the same price range as JW Black. I'm having my second pour already and it is nice stuff - no complaints.

2 x Red Breast duty free.

I have 2 more coming on Wed, lots of out of town visitors for the holidays.

With the currency and the discount it's half price.

12yo, right? Have you managed to get ahold of some 15yo to compare yet? I'd be interested in your tasting notes when/if you do.

Picked up a bottle of Jameson 12 year and Pussers Navy Rum today.

Tried the Pusser's and it still can't top Sailor Jerry...Jerry is smoother and has better flavor...oh, and it is also 92 proof! :grin:

Forty Creek Barrel Select. It is reinforcing my opinion that any subtlties of flavour are lost beneath the essense of a low-grade sherry cask. Not bad but not even in my top ten of Canadian whiskies.

12yo, right? Have you managed to get ahold of some 15yo to compare yet? I'd be interested in your tasting notes when/if you do.

I'm pretty sure the 15 was a one time only release.

I would have liked to pick up something a little more exciting but I instead bought for the first time Chivas 12. I kept missing this one for quite awhile because it is in the same price range as JW Black. I'm having my second pour already and it is nice stuff - no complaints.

I agree with you that the Chivas is surprisingly decent. I bought a bottle duty free a while back and shunned opening it for nearly a year because I thoroughly expected to dislike it and I figured I'd gift it to someone if the occasion arose. I found it had a very pleasant smoke and peat profile.

I agree with you that the Chivas is surprisingly decent. I bought a bottle duty free a while back and shunned opening it for nearly a year because I thoroughly expected to dislike it and I figured I'd gift it to someone if the occasion arose. I found it had a very pleasant smoke and peat profile.

Glenmorangie 10-year Original-- in a 1.00L bottle!

33% more scotch for only $5 more?!? Bring it on!!!!!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!