Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

JamesW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I recently picked up The Laddie 10.

Got my shipment from TPS last night (at 9:45pm, wtf fedex?!).

Laphroaig10,

HP12 (with a mini of 18),

Springbank 10,

Signatory un-chill filtered 19yr Longmorn,

for sampling I got a 3 mini set of Balvenie with 12, 15 and 21 yr expressions

and threw in a JWB mini for s&g's

should be a fun month

Glenfarclas 17 - $84

Springbank 18 - $94

Brora 24 1982 (Connoisseur's Choice bottling) - $165

Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch #6 - $227

Port Ellen 25 1982 (Connoisseur's Choice bottling) - $243

Glenfarclas 40 - $400 (haha, but really)

I was hunting for PVW last weekend and saw Chivas Regal 18 for $54.99. I have a buddy who likes it so I picked up 1 for him and 1 for me. HE likes

Macallan 18 better but at over twice the price Chivas is a better choice for daily use.

Nothing special...lol. I'm purchasing everything on the cheap right now, so I picked up a bottle of Ballentine's Finest to quell my Scotch craving, this evening. :grin:

I need some guidance. I've recently started enjoying peated scotch. Toed the water with Highland Park 12, dove in headfirst with Ardbeg 10. What should I try next? Laphroaig? Is Lagavulin 16 worth the premium over Laph? I'd rather not spend a fortune, because 80% of my drinking is still bourbon. I'll probably pick up some more HP12 as well, because that was just plain good. I drained that bottle fast.

I need some guidance. I've recently started enjoying peated scotch. Toed the water with Highland Park 12, dove in headfirst with Ardbeg 10. What should I try next? Laphroaig? Is Lagavulin 16 worth the premium over Laph? I'd rather not spend a fortune, because 80% of my drinking is still bourbon. I'll probably pick up some more HP12 as well, because that was just plain good. I drained that bottle fast.

The Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Cask Strength are both in the price range of the Ardbeg 10 and are both great pours and would be in the profile you desire.I prefer Ardbeg and Laphroaig to Talisker,as for the second question is the Lagavulin 16 worth it,absolutely one of my all time favorites as is the 12yr CS.Have fun with your peated search and enjoy.

What should I try next?

You should definitely have the experience of Laphroaig 10 and Lagavulin 16 at some point. Lagavulin 16 has one of the most amazing noses of any whisky. Just stellar. If you're willing to shop online, you can find Lagavulin for around $60, which is usually much cheaper than you'll see it in stores. Not sure if you can receive alcohol shipments in your state either. With that said, I'd probably go with Laphroaig as it's more directly similar to the Ardbeg 10 in my opinion, and you'll be able to consider the similarity and difference with regard to your preference. Then you can try the Lagavulin and decide for yourself if it's worth the premium. They're all stellar.

I made a rare blended purchase, picking up two bottles from Compass Box. Great King Street and Great King Street New York. I'm putting the limited release in the bunker alongside a Flaming Heart 4th edition, but plan to open and enjoy the standard GKS soon. I've heard great things about CB but haven't tasted their product yet.

Thanks for the advice Yeti and Wainwright! I'll hit up my local whisky-mongers and see what they have. I'll try to pick up a Laphroaig. I'll see how much Lagavulin is around here . . . if winter ever settles in here I could see myself reaching for the peat more frequently so 2 bottles might be prudent.

New shop opened up in town. BTAC all gone in a week. Only bottle left was an Eagle Rare 17. Wow.

I picked up Black Maple Hill, Rock Hill Farms, Noah's Mill and a bottle of Knob Creek SB to round it all out. Will be an interesting week of sipping.

Lahroaig Quarter Cask today. Never had one before but it gets enough positive press around here that I felt it worth the risk.

I bought an Auchentoshan Springwood and an Abelour 12 at duty free, looking forward to sampling both once my body has finished processing all the beer and mojitos from said holiday!

After being blown away by a taste of the Ardbeg Uigeadail I grabbed a bottle I saw at $60.

Also grabbed a Lagavulin DE and 12 Yr while I was at it. I think I'm good in my Islay section for a while.

Can't wait to get into these.

Picked up a Compass Box Flaming Heart 4th. Almost pulled the trigger on the GKS New York as well, but I haven't heard much about it. Anyone tried it?

I was walking throughthe isles today and ran across some Lagavulin DE 1996 and Lag 12yo CS. Never seen either on a shelf here so I grabbed both. They also had Dalwhinnie DE but, I decided to pass until I could do some homework on it. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I was walking throughthe isles today and ran across some Lagavulin DE 1996 and Lag 12yo CS. Never seen either on a shelf here so I grabbed both. They also had Dalwhinnie DE but, I decided to pass until I could do some homework on it. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

You chose the right two bottles for sure,even with the age of the Dalwhinnie I found it a mediocre pour at best given its price point.The Lagavulin you choose will not disappoint you in the least,both great drams.

Today I got the 2012 Lagavulin 12 Year and Laphroaig Cask Strength, and a bottle of Jura Superstition as a present for my father.

Entering the dark side for the first time.

Lagavulin 16 at the recommendation above

Costco 20 yo Speyside

Costco 15 yo Macallan distilled

And not purchased, but found a Glenfarclas 10

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!