Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

JamesW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Signatory Glenturret 12yr sherry cask. Have been scooping sherry cask bottlings in as many brands as I can get. My favorite barrel type for aging and finishing!

Thomas

After reading some good reviews, picked up a Benromach 10. Very impressed. Speyside malty sweetness but with some sherry and smoke. This one just really hits the spot.

Just back from the Christmas Holidays and came back with the following:

Benromach 25 Year Old Cask Strength

Bruchladdich Laddie Classic Edition_01

Glen Scotia 17 Year Old

Lagavulin 2012 12 Year Old Cask Strength

The Dalmore MacKenzie

Nikka 12 Year Old Taketsuru

Nikka Single Malt Yoichi 15 Year Old

Just purchased the Compass Box sampler set and am looking forward to trying them all.

Very cool indeed,I would like to purchase on of these as well.I assume they are all 50ml?

Yes, they are all 50ml each - a nice healthy pour for a sampler set. It comes with a simple pamphlet that describes the blends and woods they were aged in. Apparently, there is also on online tasting companion hosted by John Glaser, the Master Blender. The tubes are glass and the box holding them is a wooden clamshell. When I finish the Scotch, I will refill the tubes with some stuff from home and make my own sampler to keep in my office desk.

Great idea and thanks for the response,great way to share future samples with friends too.

Not so much a purchase as an acquisition. Brought home 7 bottles from Hawaii from my fiance's fathers liquor cabinet plus the bottle of Okolehao "Hawaiian Moonshine" I bought and the two bottles of Okolehao Liqueur I got for Christmas (Will need to do a little tasting of those soon!). He passed away earlier this year and her mother doesn't drink and offered me whatever I wanted to cart back home (There was only one bourbon which I brought back last April and noted in this post: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?18691-quot-100-month-old-quot-old-Beam-bourbon-decanter-from-1971&p=306947&viewfull=1#post306947).

Some odd bottles (a half empty bottle of Camus XO cognac from the 80's, Ararat 20 year old Armenian brandy purchased in 1992 that stills says it is from the Soviet Union and never opened, Suntory Japanese whiskey, a pint bottle of Soviet era "Bodka" which is probably pure rot gut!). He had a fair amount of scotch but nothing of note (2 Chivas, 2 J&B, 2 Cutty Sark, a bottle of Dimple and a couple I had never heard of that were all quite old. Some with tax stamps) but I did bring back a bottle of Johnnie Walker Swing mainly because I liked the bottle. The Swing and several others were purchased in the Hong Kong Duty Free probably 15-20 years ago or more and most were never opened.

Anybody ever tried Swing? A few reviews I read said it was a pretty decent blend in a Highlands style with little or no smoke.

post-8493-14489818516108_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489818514325_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489818514649_thumb.jpg

post-8493-1448981851501_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489818515347_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489818515616_thumb.jpg

post-8493-1448981851588_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489818516346_thumb.jpg

Western Highlands with a bit of Islay is what I remember, seems there were some golden fruit and sherry notes as well, but that was quite a long time ago. I doubt it strayed much from the Johnnie Walker profile of the time.

Picked up another Uigeadail and Corry, as well as getting my limited editions on with the Compass Box Flaming Heart and Laphroig Cairdeas. Didn't really need the Corry as I've still got a half bottle left of the open one, but the price was too good to pass up.

I'm going to need a nice sherried malt to balance out all this peat!

Some odd bottles (a half empty bottle of Camus XO cognac from the 80's, Ararat 20 year old Armenian brandy purchased in 1992 that stills says it is from the Soviet Union and never opened, Suntory Japanese whiskey, a pint bottle of Soviet era "Bodka" which is probably pure rot gut!).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14630[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14631[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14633[/ATTACH]

That brandy, Ararat, might be hit or miss, depending how bad standards were then. The brand has been produced by the same company since before the Soviet Union and the modern stuff is pretty decent. it is really popular in the Caucasus and I have been known to down a lot of it when I find myself in the former Eastern Bloc - it's a nice break from the vodka. About that bottle of Pshenichnaya Vodka from the SSSR (СССР), the label says it was produced by the former Soviet State Agroindustrial Committee which would mean it was made 1985-1989...disgusting I'm sure.

That brandy, Ararat, might be hit or miss, depending how bad standards were then. The brand has been produced by the same company since before the Soviet Union and the modern stuff is pretty decent. it is really popular in the Caucasus and I have been known to down a lot of it when I find myself in the former Eastern Bloc - it's a nice break from the vodka. About that bottle of Pshenichnaya Vodka from the SSSR (СССР), the label says it was produced by the former Soviet State Agroindustrial Committee which would mean it was made 1985-1989...disgusting I'm sure.

The Ararat brandy will no doubt get tried eventually to see how it has done over the years. Just have to round up a few brandy aficionados! I see it on the shelf today occasionally but never the 20yo version, usually maybe 5yo or so. I am guessing in 1992 when it was purchased the standards of production could definitely have been questionable.

You just answered about the vodka what I had researched for an hour or so. Apparently a wheat based vodka produced by the Soviet State Agroindustrial Committee or "Gosagroprom" from 1985-89 as you note. Doubt I will open that one. More of a novelty for display on the bar!

The Ararat brandy will no doubt get tried eventually to see how it has done over the years. Just have to round up a few brandy aficionados! I see it on the shelf today occasionally but never the 20yo version, usually maybe 5yo or so. I am guessing in 1992 when it was purchased the standards of production could definitely have been questionable.

You just answered about the vodka what I had researched for an hour or so. Apparently a wheat based vodka produced by the Soviet State Agroindustrial Committee or "Gosagroprom" from 1985-89 as you note. Doubt I will open that one. More of a novelty for display on the bar!

Hopefully Bruce, the distillery wasn't near Chernobyl? To check, put it in a dark closet and see if it glows. :D

Know anything about Moldovan Brandy LostBottle? There are a couple stores near me that have Black Stork 12 year and Surprise 15 year from KVINT Distillery in what I guess is now Transnistria. Looks to be newer stock. I think the Suprise was at $29 or so and was tempted but never pulled the plug.

Sorry, Thad, I have never had any Moldovan brandy. You are right about KVINT, I checked out the website and it says they are in Tiraspol.

Edited by LostBottle

Hopefully Bruce, the distillery wasn't near Chernobyl? To check, put it in a dark closet and see if it glows. :D

Interesting. The room did seem a little brighter last night after I put it on the bar and turned out the light!

I'm another bottle closer to acquiring every gold medal American, Canadian and Irish whiskey winner from the 2011 and 2012 San Fran Spirits Competition. Its been a fun journey and an excuse to purchase lots of whiskey. Picked up Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy. First time I've seen it in Texas. I really enjoy the Midleton Very Rare.

Two bottles to go.

I came across an ardbeg uigeadail and alligator today. Yes, please!

How much is Alligator going for in the wild? The few shops that list it online carry a pretty steep markup.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!