What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought I would start a thread in answer to "What did you purchase?"....so here it is, what did you see and want, but not buy today?

Visiting my first really great liquor store for bourbon yesterday (Julio's in MA), I had to pass up quite a few and also to go smaller than I wanted to get more bottles.....

I really wanted the PVW 15 but settled for the Lot B instead (even though the wife offed to get the Pappy's for Christmas, I was good -- maybe I can cash in later)

I also got the FR SmB instead of Julio's barrel SB.

There were so many, but others I wanted to try were Rockhill Farms, George Dickel Barrell Select TN Whiskey, Michter's Rye and the Black Maple bourbons....next time.

Tell me what you had to pass up....

Great idea for a thread!

Over the weekend, ended up passing up the following:

Ritt BIB

Dant BIB

Brown BIB

Jefferson's, both expressions

Michter's American Whiskey (sampled some though, blech!)

T.W. Samuels

KY's Tavern & Vintage

Noah's Creek.

Some $45 gift box with a small bottle of OF with a glass and some stuff about Repeal. (Is this the OF Repeal Bourbon or is it just another cheezy gift pack?)

The usual "I'm a cheap bastard" suspects, PVW's, BTAC, etc.

I feel good about my choices.

Great idea for a thread!

Some $45 gift box with a small bottle of OF with a glass and some stuff about Repeal. (Is this the OF Repeal Bourbon or is it just another cheezy gift pack?)

I also saw the OF repeal pack, but for $24...even at the low price, a 350ml is not really what I was shopping for....also had to pass up the Antique Collection for $47.99/bottle (I know. I'm crazy) Handy, Sazerac 18, WLarueW and Eagle Rare 17. C'est La Vie.

It has been known to happen...are the bottles I listed the correct bottles?

here's the NH Liquor store product search link...

http://www.nh.gov/liquor/products.shtml

I just looked up WLarueW on that link, it was listed as 121.9 proof which was the 2005 release, but they could just be repeating the proof and sure as heck it is listed at $47.99.

Here in MI if you could find it the minimum is $61.00.

I just looked up WLarueW on that link, it was listed as 121.9 proof which was the 2005 release, but they could just be repeating the proof and sure as heck it is listed at $47.99.

Here in MI if you could find it the minimum is $61.00.

Glad to know I wasn't mistaken -- that keeps my perfect streak alive!:rolleyes:

:grin::grin:

There are a lot of these floating around the NH liquor store system...if I was a rich man, I would have picked up one of each, but I was on a mission for different stuff.

Glad to know I wasn't mistaken -- that keeps my perfect streak alive!:rolleyes:

:grin::grin:

There are a lot of these floating around the NH liquor store system...if I was a rich man, I would have picked up one of each, but I was on a mission for different stuff.

But have you actually seen any of the bottles.

I just looked up George T Stagg and they had the Spring 2005 bottle listed, but none available.

Maybe they have not updated their info since '05 and don't carry the stuff at all anymore,.... but you did see them, right?

I just looked on the NH liquor website and there are 18 bottles of WLW statewide!

Thomas

Hey Thomas, you up for a NH-Roadtrip?:grin:

But have you actually seen any of the bottles.

I just looked up George T Stagg and they had the Spring 2005 bottle listed, but none available.

Maybe they have not updated their info since '05 and don't carry the stuff at all anymore,.... but you did see them, right?

Absolutely -- they were in this wooden crate display and my wife said, "cute are you going to get one of these?"

I should've said "yes" but instead I held out for Julio's.

Once again I was on a mission.....if you make a NH roadtrip save some for us New Englanders....:grin:

Hey Thomas, you up for a NH-Roadtrip?:grin:

Oscar, you're giving me the itch, man....I may need to drive back down there and buy the lot of these....

I thought I would start a thread in answer to "What did you purchase?"....so here it is, what did you see and want, but not buy today?

when i got the Sazerac 6, i saw the on-sale Ridgemonet Reserve...which i've had once and it was really super...$23.99.....$4 off...but i thought, man, i would rather get the Handy Saz...which i will NOT pass up on tomorrow!

Saw a bottle of (ri)^1 on the shelf but passed it up. I'd like to try it, but wasn't ready to pony up the $49.99 they were asking for it.

35b527876968cd213013f286b1498755.jpg

Saw a bottle of (ri)^1 on the shelf but passed it up. I'd like to try it, but wasn't ready to pony up the $49.99 they were asking for it.

35b527876968cd213013f286b1498755.jpg

I passed this same one up at Julio's this weekend -- don't know anything about it.

My local store has sold 9 bottles of the ri1 from the 12 that they took delivery on. :skep:

I don't HAVE to pass up ANYTHING. I answer only to myself, and I probably can afford at least one bottle of anything from the local potables purveyor that isn't kept behind the counter in a locked display case.

But I often pass up bourbons that I suspect are overpriced and/or over-hyped.

On the other hand, I HAVE learned (the hard way) not to be TOO much of a tightwad. No bourbon is a bargain if you have to hold your nose to swallow it.

But as long as I can find enough mid-shelf boubons that are perfectly enjoyable to sip neat, I'll probably pass up most of the top shelf stuff.

On the other hand, I HAVE learned (the hard way) not to be TOO much of a tightwad. No bourbon is a bargain if you have to hold your nose to swallow it.

LMAO! I have no idea who you are, but your remark is exactly why you stay away from the "bottom" shelf. :slappin:

Dawn

LMAO! I have no idea who you are, but your remark is exactly why you stay away from the "bottom" shelf. :slappin:

Dawn

I suppose a thank you is in order, because I found three liters of Eagle Rare 101 from Frankfort on the bottom shelf of a well known liquor store on Main in Greenwood, for what I consider giveaway prices. It certainly doesn't drink like bottom shelf whiskey though :-)

Never neglect the bottom shelf!

I suppose a thank you is in order, because I found three liters of Eagle Rare 101 from Frankfort on the bottom shelf of a well known liquor store on Main in Greenwood, for what I consider giveaway prices. It certainly doesn't drink like bottom shelf whiskey though :-)

Never neglect, but always scrutinize!!!

you never know what you my find or where you may find it....:deadhorse:

Passed on a first year (06) T H Handy. I'm a bit more choosy when it comes to ryes. Tried a number of them but VWFRR is the only one I've gone back for more of. At $64, it is hard to go out on a limb for the Handy although there is an abundance of upbeat reactions to it found here.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!