What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had an Ezra Brooks 12 yr SB in my hand today to buy and at the last min put it back. After reading tasting notes on it on another site tonight I wish now I had gotten it. Well next time I'm in MO I'll get it.

Stagg '08 and ER17 '08. Over $60 each is too pricey in my books. They are decent pours but not worth the hefty tag me thinks...

• 2 weeks later...

I left a cherry wood topped WTKS from Feb '07 in lieu of some BHC VSOF. I don't think I'll miss the Wild Turkey.

Delivered a special bottle of bourbon to the manager at Everett's Thursday night. Was he ever a happy man. (Thanks Oscar, and Tony too) I'm still waiting on their single barrel bottling of Weller SR. I almost bit the bullet and bought a bottle of Pappy 20. Was $139.00, on sale for $109.00. Decided to pass and wait on the Weller SR. First time I've ever left a liquor store with more money in my pocket than what I came in with. I got home and the wife asked me what I bought. Told her nothing and had more money than I started with. She said "Who are you and where's my husband?" :slappin: Gotta love it. Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I passed up a Dickel Barrel Select for $39.99 at a store in Massachussetts. I really like Dickel, but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on this one -- it's a lower proof than the Dickel No.12 and it costs three times as much. The only reason I even thought about it is because I never see them anywhere -- maybe someday if I get desperate for somehting new to try, but I kind of doubt it.

The new Beam rye, r1, is on the local shelf at $62.99, which is a $20 whiskey in a $40 bottle. I shall continue to pass.

I didn't have to, but I passed on a WTRR90. I went to my local specifically looking for it, had it in my hand and didn't pull the trigger. I'm slipping.

The other day I passed on the Parker Heritage collection. It is priced at $65 which may be a good price.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed up a few things today: a couple different '07 WTKS, 1997 EWSB, VA Gentleman 80, WT Rye 101 and especially Old Fitz 1849 which I really wanted to try. BUT . . . Weller Antique was only a dollar more and too hard to resist. Amazingly, the WTRRR90 & WTRye 101 were both selling for the same price . . . it's the only time I've seen the 101 in New England.

Oh, yeah, I also passed up Saz 18 @ $59, Lot 'B' Autumn '08 for $48 and Kappy's Single Barrel ERSB . . . wanted the Lot 'B' but I have a hard time spending $50 on it when I can get PVW for $50 and Lot 'B' for $40 in NH in the fall. Just have to wait.

Still passing on Parkers.

Still passing on that, eh? Is it the latest 27yr release, or last years Barrel Proof? For $65, I'd get either one of them. The barrel proof is outstanding, and well worth the $65, IMO. And, that is the lowest price I think I've heard for it. If it's the 27yr, hurry and grab it, because that retailer has it priced about $120 too low! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have been periodically watching the NH Liquor site to monitor the 4 remaining PVW 20s . . . it seems they all sold on Sunday . . . maybe to the same person? They had been sitting since before Christmas and I had almost gotten up the courage (with me recent raise) to buy one. I was sort of relieved and simultaneously disappointed to see they'd gone. That's $100 I won't get a chance to spent until November or so.

I stopped in at a old liquor store yesterday...Whewwwwwwwwwww the cigarette smoke was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Old geezers at the bar gaukin' that ole gauk :bigeyes: Only had a couple of shelves with the standard alkie lineup. Then, I look up and there's this table (dirty) with two Maker's Mark (2005) silver bottles. I think it's Affirmed? They are dirty, one looked as if they tried to clean it too much and marked the paint just a bit. They had a price tag of $47.00 each. I passed, not a serious MM collector.

The other day I passed on the Parker Heritage collection. It is priced at $65 which may be a good price.

Seriously, is that the 2008 Parker's at 96 proof?

If it is then they have it marked wrong.

It goes for $180.00 to $200.00.

I'd get it.

The drink of the month, OF Birthday Bourbon. Maybe next week I'll go snag it if I hear it's worthwhile.

27 bottles of Rittenhouse Rye 23 year old. Joe

Okay Joe, I'll fess up. I passed on 27, but bought 4. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: Just have to figure out how to get them home in one piece. I've packed one or two in my luggage before, but not 4. If I wasn't flying home, I was seriously thinking about buying more/all. Joe

I have been periodically watching the NH Liquor site to monitor the 4 remaining PVW 20s . . . it seems they all sold on Sunday . . . maybe to the same person? They had been sitting since before Christmas and I had almost gotten up the courage (with me recent raise) to buy one. I was sort of relieved and simultaneously disappointed to see they'd gone. That's $100 I won't get a chance to spent until November or so.

Andy

Having just acquired a bottle of this and having my first pour last Saturday night you should have pulled the trigger on this one. It's undescribable and the smoooooothest bourbon you'll ever have. I'm glad I bought mine. But the spring release just came out.

Paul

The PVW 20 is my favorite bourbon to date and I bunkered some based on a thread Chuck had initiated awhile ago (I cant recall it right now). It is still SW whisky, but I am sure even after the SW whisky runs out PVW will remain in the marketplace, but will it still be as good?? This thought made me jump the gun and order a case of 12 bottles.

Okay Joe, I'll fess up. I passed on 27, but bought 4. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: Just have to figure out how to get them home in one piece. I've packed one or two in my luggage before, but not 4. If I wasn't flying home, I was seriously thinking about buying more/all. Joe

Buy them and mail them to yourself

Andy

Having just acquired a bottle of this and having my first pour last Saturday night you should have pulled the trigger on this one. It's undescribable and the smoooooothest bourbon you'll ever have. I'm glad I bought mine. But the spring release just came out.

Yeah, I probably should have, but I'll have another chance . . . they don't stock this is NH regularly, just at the holidays, so I'll have to wait -- Spring release is not an option. I have had the PVW20 before and thought it was really good, but not really worth the price at that time in my bourbon journey -- at this point, all logic has gone out the window with regards to price. Still, with 7 bottles of 12yr SW juice in the bunker, I'm reticent to jump on a $100 bottle. This is all rhetoric of course, since I'll probably end up buying one soon enough. :grin:

The PVW 20 is my favorite bourbon to date and I bunkered some based on a thread Chuck had initiated awhile ago (I cant recall it right now). It is still SW whisky, but I am sure even after the SW whisky runs out PVW will remain in the marketplace, but will it still be as good?? This thought made me jump the gun and order a case of 12 bottles.

That's some serious jack!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!