What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wasn't today, but the other day I had to pass on entire rows of Black Maple Hill 11, 14 and 16 year olds. I would love to have them because I've drank bottles of all three and was never disappointed, but for the prices they wanted they'll continue to sit, likely for a few more years!

post-1291-14489816378113_thumb.jpg

post-1291-14489816378113_thumb.jpg

but the other day I had to pass on entire rows of Black Maple Hill 11, 14 and 16 year olds.

I've drank all 3 of those and yes your right they were good.

I still have a 21yo unopened.

I'd splurge and get that 16yo if I were you, it was excellent.

The other day:

Stagg 09'

Handy 09'

Saz 18 yr 07'

ER 17yr -09'

The stores got a couple of each, hoping the Stagg & Handy will be there end of week (payday).

TJ

Wasn't today, but the other day I had to pass on entire rows of Black Maple Hill 11, 14 and 16 year olds. I would love to have them because I've drank bottles of all three and was never disappointed, but for the prices they wanted they'll continue to sit, likely for a few more years!

Ah, you were in Albany.

They've been sitting there as long as I've been in Oregon. At $61, $75 and $95 they will be there a long time to come.

I've considered sending a note to the OLCC about these, suggesting that they put them on closeout. They just did that with Clement XO rum, dropping the price from $150 to $50. A similar reduction on the BMH would drop the 16yo to $32. I'd buy one for that.

I've considered sending a note to the OLCC about these, suggesting that they put them on closeout. They just did that with Clement XO rum, dropping the price from $150 to $50. A similar reduction on the BMH would drop the 16yo to $32. I'd buy one for that.

I am actually going to do that, just trying to find who to send the note to. OLCC isn't exactly open with email addresses. They've been there at least 3 1/2 years since I first started looking around after being inflicted with this bourbon curse, not sure if you'd been in the area longer or not.

At those prices they'll still be there in 5 years and might be tempting then. Maybe!

I'd splurge and get that 16yo if I were you, it was excellent.

I've had 2 and still have 1 bunkered from when I got a deal on some in SoCal. Very good indeed.

I am actually going to do that, just trying to find who to send the note to. OLCC isn't exactly open with email addresses.

The current Retail Services Director is Brian Flemming:

Brian.Flemming@state.or.us

I haven't communicated with him. His predecessor, Jim (can't remember his last name), was pretty helpful.

If you do it, let me know what kind of response you get.

ORVW10/107 for $35, OGD114 @ $19.

Before anyone says anything, I got 2 ER17 08s, 1 OWA NAS, and 1 WT Rye 101 for well under $150 after tax.

The current Retail Services Director is Brian Flemming:

Brian.Flemming@state.or.us

I haven't communicated with him. His predecessor, Jim (can't remember his last name), was pretty helpful.

If you do it, let me know what kind of response you get.

Yep, that is the only email I could find. I will let you know, going to email tonight sometime in hopes of hearing something from him later in the week.

Found a handful of OWA with the old label that has the age statement. Regular price at $21.95. I have a few bottles of the new labeled OWA. Any advantage in picking these up? Would it be something that would be worth bunkering, or would I just be waisting my time? Thanks.

Found a handful of OWA with the old label that has the age statement. Regular price at $21.95. I have a few bottles of the new labeled OWA. Any advantage in picking these up? Would it be something that would be worth bunkering, or would I just be waisting my time? Thanks.

I myself have been wondering if I should bunker some of the 7yo. Believe it or not, I've yet to see the NAS here in OR, and thus haven't tried it. The 7yo still seems to be good supply.

That could change almost overnight. The change from the Guyana produced Zaya rum to the Trinidad version seemed to happen everwhere and over a period of a few days.

yeah, if the price is only $22/bottle. Won't hurt to put a few away in the bunker, just for comparison purposes with the new label stuff down the road.

TJ

I myself have been wondering if I should bunker some of the 7yo. Believe it or not, I've yet to see the NAS here in OR, and thus haven't tried it. The 7yo still seems to be good supply.

That could change almost overnight. The change from the Guyana produced Zaya rum to the Trinidad version seemed to happen everwhere and over a period of a few days.

On a trip to SC recently I stopped in a store that had the mother load of all the glorious bottles I have only read about. Being from a control state I was in awe. They had Lot B, all the Pappys, all the Antique Collection, Wild Turkey Tradition.... But I just couldn't pull the trigger. Part of it was the price and part of it was the fact that I am still a pretty young bourbon enthusiast and I wanted to save these premiums for sometime down the road. All in due time.

I just passed up a bottle of PVW 15 priced at $85. It was next to a bottle of PVW 20 at $105, which seemed strange, as I remember a much larger difference in cost between the two versions. The PVW 15 is very tasty, but eighty-odd dollars is a solid chunk of change. I also left behind an "H" bottling of VWFRR. Again, it's something I really enjoy, but at $65, I don't have the "see it, buy it" reaction I did when it cost $40 or so.

I've been drinking FRSB, which is fast becoming a personal favorite. Lately my brain has started thinking about prices in relation to the cost of a bottle of Single Barrel. I saw the PVW 15 on the shelf and thought, "that's basically 2 bottles of Single Barrel. I'll pass." Then, a few hours later I got thumped with a $45 parking ticket (forgot to feed the meter), and immediately thought, "well, there's one less bottle of FRSB I get to buy."

$45 for a parking violation. Is there another crime with such disproportionate punishment?

Passed on four bottles of JW Dant BIB today. One appeared to have been bottled in 1999, and the other 3 in 2000. $10.95 each. Don't have any knowledge regarding the brand, and didn't want to run the risk of chunking my money out the window.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had to pass up a lot of things. A WT Tribute that was way overpriced, a few incredibly desirable things because they weren't for sale and a bunch of BTAC - '07 & '08 W Larues, '07, '08 & '09 Staggs, '06, '07 & '09 Saz18, '06 & '07 Handy - and Van Winkles because I couldn't afford them all. I am planning to be back at this store in a couple months and will grab a few more things, if anyone is interested PM me and I may be willing to grab some stuff for others.

A bunch of BTAC - '07 & '08 W Larues, '07, '08 & '09 Staggs, '06, '07 & '09 Saz18, '06 & '07 Handy - and Van Winkles because I couldn't afford them all.

Christian,

It sound like you unearthed the BTAC/Van Winkle motherlode. Enjoy them.

I passed up some Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve in the short, square bottle. This bourbon confuses me. I've read a lot of positive comments on the "slope-shouldered" version, less about the "broad-shouldered" bottling. It had a Bourbon Heritage Collection plastic capsule, and the bottom of the bottle indicated it was made in England, but I couldn't make sense of any other markings. It had clearly been sitting on the shelf for quite a while, and at $42, I decided to let it lay for the time being.

Ran across two 1.75L of I.W. Harper Gold Medal 80 proof. Could not tell how old they were. IIRC, it said Louisville on the lable. Closed out at $17.95 each. Worth a trip back, or pass? Thanks.

Ran across two 1.75L of I.W. Harper Gold Medal 80 proof. Could not tell how old they were. IIRC, it said Louisville on the lable. Closed out at $17.95 each. Worth a trip back, or pass? Thanks.

If they are 1.75s there are at least late 70s or newer. Were their tax stamps, fake take stamps or Anit-tanper tops?

You can usually tell the age by a yr mark on the bottom of the bottle.

As far as worth basically $8.00 a bottle, depends on what type of bourbon you like. It is a light whiskey but flavorful. The older ones are better than the newer ones, but none of it is bad juice.

If they are 1.75s there are at least late 70s or newer. Were their tax stamps, fake take stamps or Anit-tanper tops?

You can usually tell the age by a yr mark on the bottom of the bottle.

As far as worth basically $8.00 a bottle, depends on what type of bourbon you like. It is a light whiskey but flavorful. The older ones are better than the newer ones, but none of it is bad juice.

Passed on four bottles of JW Dant BIB today. One appeared to have been bottled in 1999, and the other 3 in 2000. $10.95 each. Don't have any knowledge regarding the brand, and didn't want to run the risk of chunking my money out the window.

Good call, passing that one. I bought one a couple months back (DSP 31) and it was terrible. I swear the plastic infused a petroleum flavor to the whiskey.

I did get some use from the bottle, though. My gas grille was pretty dirty with bits of food laying in the belly. The alcohol in the Dant did a pretty decent job of turning the food to ash, making it easy to brush out.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!