What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My local superstore, Binny's, has 1.75 Makers Mark on sale for $34.00. Great price, but there are so many others I want to try before I have MM again.

i had to pass up on the ON SALE AGAIN (!) WT RYE....because, well, the last STAGG in PA i special ordered (thus hijacked from across the state from a Steelers' fan!) came in....

not a bad thing today but i will have to return NEXT paycheck for that WT Rye at $17.99....baby saz is quite nice, but this blows it away.

Dang Andy, you are going crazy with the BHC stuff. Which were these?

3 OCPR slope shoulders & 2 VSOFs. I also do not like the looks of the (ri)1, however you type it, Jim Beam $45 rye. Eff that, I say....looks like designer vodka in that crap bottle and it's only $3 less than Handy...no matter how good it may be, it's not gonna be better than the Handy. Plus, I haven't read a positive review of it yet. It just came to ME last week and I will continue to pass it up.

My local superstore, Binny's, has 1.75 Makers Mark on sale for $34.00. Great price, but there are so many others I want to try before I have MM again.

You guys in Chicago are sooo lucky, MM for $34. In MI, the State minimum is $52.99 for 1.75. I also saw Knob Creek for like $42 /1.75 @ Binny's or Sam's online. In my crappy state its $64.95 for 1.75.:smiley_acbt:

TJ

Had to pass up on alot today. Went in a local store, had to pass on Lot B, Pappy 23 ($249 yea, right), but mostly was 2 big 1.75's of OC Classic 90 black labels that i wanted.....

I did get a bottle of ETL, that I havent had in a while...

Passed up an EWSB 1997 Vintage bottled June 2007...I know where there are two more bottled in January 2007....haven't sprung for them yet....I'm not really looking to start a collection of these and I haven't heard if any years are better than others. Also, even though they are all 1998s, EWSB is $5-7 cheaper in NH.

I found myself in a store today thinking seriously about springing for a bottle of Thomas Handy '08, but I chickened out because I didn't want to spend that much on something I've never tasted. So instead I splurged on something I know I like, the WLW'08.

Gus,

If you like a Rye whiskey, the Handy is fantastic. I've loved the Handy since they introduced it in '06.

Thanks, maybe I'll give the Handy a try before it sells out.

Gus, do not miss out on the Handy! Today I passed up Buffalo Trace (which I can't get in my neck) and the Sazerac 18 in favor of two Handys.

I passed up 3-Weller Centennials, 1-WTKS Pewter Top, and 5-VSOF BHC. Joe

I passed up 3-Weller Centennials, 1-WTKS Pewter Top, and 5-VSOF BHC. Joe

Are you trying to hurn me :slappin:

I keep passing up on a bottle of Noah's Mill. I'm really curious to pick one up, but for some reason this seems like it may be a GTS or Booker's clone. Any thoughts on it?

Well, I had a glass neat last night. It was very nice, the initial flavors were dominated by maple and the finish was very pleasantly and assertivley tobacco. KBD does a very fine job with this.

I dont know how this could be a clone of either GTS or Bookers.

I have tried the Noah's Mill as well as GTS and Booker's. They are not clones, although the high proof does lend them to some similarity in overall feel. I would say that Noah's Mill is somewhere between the GTS and Booker's in taste profile...if you like either of these, the Noah's Mill is well worth it...it is priced slightly below Booker's where I live.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a store last night and happened to glance at the sop shelf. I happened across 5 bottles that I have been searching for for a while, and I know some of you have also. On the shelf set these 5 bottles, in this order(from left to right).

1. I.W. Harper 15yr old

2. Weller Centennial

3. Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13 year old

4. George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve

5. Very Special Old Fitzgerald

I almost climbed the shelf to get to them. I was hoping they were being sold by the bottle. No such luck. $400 for all of them. Since that was a little (a lot) out of my price range, I ran to the truck crying.......

At 80 bucks each, they will sit there for a long time too. :skep:

So I assume they all had the BHC logo on the necks?

I believe they did (I did not really climb he shelf :lol:). They were in a wooden display tray. Had a metal label under each bottle on the wood with the name. I did not pay much attention to the labeling on the neck, I just know you do not see these bottles anywhere around here and I got excited.

At 80 bucks each, they will sit there for a long time too. :skep:

I tried to talk the guy out of any of the bottles individually and he would not budge. Would not come off the price either......oh well.

Is this what it looked like? If so, too bad it's so pricey. Those are nice finds. That Weller Cent is good SW whiskey.

Yes, it is exactly what I saw. I am assuming this pic is taken in your house right? I did not leave without a fight over the price for this set. He said the only one people ever ask for is the GD. I told him I would take the rest off his hands and I would leave the GD.....still no:hot:.

The picture is from a post here on SB. Well, I hope the guy likes looking at the bottles day in and day out as they may sit there a very long time. Even if you offered him $300, that still more than nothing.

Maybe give it a couple of months and go back and ask again. You may wear him down.

The picture is from a post here on SB. Well, I hope the guy likes looking at the bottles day in and day out as they may sit there a very long time. Even if you offered him $300, that still more than nothing.

Maybe give it a couple of months and go back and ask again. You may wear him down.

Yeah, I am hoping they sit till they have to get rid of them. I would think a "reasonable" price would be in the $200 range. Still, that is $40 a bottle. I do not know what these bottles sell for except the VSOF (~$38). I am assuming that is about the going price for the rest of them.

Beam Black at $19.99—*I really like the Distiller's Series though... just can't get it around here. BB

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!