What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I suppose a thank you is in order, because I found three liters of Eagle Rare 101 from Frankfort on the bottom shelf of a well known liquor store on Main in Greenwood, for what I consider giveaway prices. It certainly doesn't drink like bottom shelf whiskey though :-)

Never neglect the bottom shelf!

That one's not usually on the bottom shelf, so yeah, I'll admit you gotta know what you're looking at. Indy's bottom shelves hold quite a bit of that "walkers deluxe". Go ahead.....give that one a try!

Willie's bottle of Old Whiskey River is in the middle shelf....that one's yummy too.

Love ya,

Dawn

There is a store in Ypsilanti that has a bottle of the '08 GTStagg, it really seems to out of place because of what part of town it's in.

I have now passed it up for three consecutive Thursdays.

well, looks like NOW that the whole BTAC collection can be found in my county and the neighboring one of Chester, i will have to pass up on ANY of them...

i wanted to get one of each...or at least the HANDY...but.................

the crucial, outdated circuit board for our heater melted down and had to be replaced...at least it was done within the day...but an HVAC tech recognized the problem....was lucky to find a neo-replacement...but another technician had to come out at 8pm....was there until 11pm....

total cost: $700+ .... :hot: ... talk about bad timing! :(

i guess i can go get that Benchmark at $9.99 now...:cry:

total cost: $700+ .... :hot: ... talk about bad timing! :(

i guess i can go get that Benchmark at $9.99 now...:cry:

Ah, but you get to amortize that over the next 20 years so it's only $2.92 a month...so you only have to give up a stick of gum every day for the next 20 years to cover that expense...:grin:

Ah, but you get to amortize that over the next 20 years so it's only $2.92 a month...so you only have to give up a stick of gum every day for the next 20 years to cover that expense...:grin:

yeah, i am thinking what little things i can cut out...in the long run...and just go GIT that bottle of....

well, in the spirit of what is to be passed up (instead of what-should-i-GIT!), i'll ask this: which 4 BTACs should i pass on?

i hope no one says the Handy....:rolleyes:

yeah, i am thinking what little things i can cut out...in the long run...and just go GIT that bottle of....

well, in the spirit of what is to be passed up (instead of what-should-i-GIT!), i'll ask this: which 4 BTACs should i pass on?

i hope no one says the Handy....:rolleyes:

OH Hell No Not The Handy!!!!!

I am not a rye guy,....but this year's Handy is the bottle of the year!

Or even the year and a half!!!!

OH Hell No Not The Handy!!!!!

thanks...that made up my mind...there are only two in a nearby county...i hope one is there by 6pm tomorrow.....!

seems there is plenty of Stagg for the moment to 'pass up' for the week...but then again, holiday shoppers are out and about!

• 2 weeks later...

Ran across my first bottle of Black Maple Hill today. If memory serves me, the age statement was 11 years old. The price was a little steep ($49.99) for my liking, so I passed.

Two liquor stores.:grin: I did visit a couple stores today, but I'm holding off getting anything for a couple of weeks. Joe

Hmmm... I'm not a rye guy either. But I bought a 2008 Handy to hold as a birthday present for a friend.

Perhaps he would enjoy something else instead... (e.g., a slightly-used JB Distillers Series).

At the NH Liquor store the other day I had to pass up EC18 for $25.99, EWSB98 for $23.99 & Jefferson's for $24.99.

When I was in Chi-town last week I passed up a bottle of Binny's hand select baby Saz, b/c I was afraid it would put us over the limit on our luggage. It still haunts me like the ghost of New Year's Eve past.

Not recently, but I keep passing up on a bottle of Noah's Mill. I'm really curious to pick one up, but for some reason this seems like it may be a GTS or Booker's clone. Any thoughts on it?

everything.

until next week or so...heater breakdown, new cat getting spayed....we're running the bills high! glad i got a bottle to seep/sip me through to the weekend....might have to turn to Benchmark...

if only i could learn to bunker....

Passed up on EWSB 1.16.97 and also Ancient Age 1.75...don't think this one is available in ME anymore, must have been sitting around a while. Anyway, I was intrigued but didn't wanna drop $20 on a plastic bottled handle of 80 proof whiskey I probably wouldn't dig too much.

Look for teh old Glass handles of teh 86 proof AA. I got lucky on two finds in CA after Chrsitmas and they are tasty. I was very surprised....

... and good rule of thumb, if the bourbon is in plastic, leave it.

Just because a dusty is in plastic doesn't mean it's worthless or bad. I have had plenty of dusty handles that were outstanding...Yellowstone being one of them.

Sure, I know that older plastic is not as durrable as the new stuff, but it won't stop me from purchasing a wanted label.

I will give you that... but you really need to look at that plastic... If it had been in teh sunlight for a long time, the browns not the bourbon baby... and not going to taste good... if it has been in a dark area for a long, long time and it was 25 yrs old... maybe... if it was chep I would get it

I'm not even sure I can count this as passing! The price was silly and I laughed more so than passed!

1969 WT 8 yr old in the wooden crate / Baccarat decanter

This beautiful piece of work can be yours...not mine for a meager $975 + tax :hot:

I can not do it! If you want it PM me!

Tony,

I've passed one of those up at $600 plus tax.

It's nice to know that you have limits.:lol:

Will

• 4 weeks later...

On Friday, in the midst of my dusty hunting, I passed up a chance to buy some WTKS. I didn't inspect them too closely as I was soon blinded by the light of 5 BHC bottles, so I purchased those instead, but they were wooden tops -- probably not too old (all of the Rare Breed's were WT03RB). Interestingly, my usual liquor store (the largest in the state) has been out of the WTKS for as long as I can remember -- at least a few months since I've seen a bottle on the shelf there. I wonder why that is.....

Anyway, the grocery store where I DID see the WTKS was located on Garden Street and I was laughing before I got there that I would have named it Garden Variety, but it was anything but. If I get a hankerin' for some WTKS before my usual place restocks, I'll have to revisit.

I was soon blinded by the light of 5 BHC bottles, so I purchased those instead

Dang Andy, you are going crazy with the BHC stuff. Which were these?

I didn't "have" to pass it up, but I did.

I came across a couple OF Repeal sets for twenty bucks apiece. If I were an Old Forester fan I would have bought one, but I'm not. I almost bought it just for the glass and to see if the whiskey in the bottle was enough different from OF 100 to make the purchase worth it. But in the end I left it on the shelf. Twenty dollars for a 375 of something I doubt I'd like very much and one glass was just too much.

Saw a bottle of (ri)^1 on the shelf but passed it up. I'd like to try it, but wasn't ready to pony up the $49.99 they were asking for it.

35b527876968cd213013f286b1498755.jpg

I'm having a hard time too... perhaps I'm judgmental to the marketing scheme? Ain't historical!!!

BB

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!