What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I actually paid for 2 half gallons of mid 80's Old Taylor only to notice on the walk tot the car it was 80 proof not the 86 I thought it was. They are back on the shelf from which they came. That's not to say the eighty proof juice is not good, just not what I was looking for. I did also pass on 4 half gallons of mid 80's Old Forester 86, also not my cup-o-T!

Tony

I passed on a bunch of OF 86 today as well. Also passed up some OFBB 07, and some EWSB 94, 96, 98 & 99, and some brown label WT 80.

I passed on a few Lot 'B's and a PVW15 . . . I really wanted the 15, but at $63 I wasn't feeling it . . . I have seen plenty of Lot 'B' around lately, so I didn't feel the pressure as much on that . . . I'll probably get some the next time I see some, though.

A handle of OWA yesterday along with several bottles of BMH that I've not come across in a while.

I passed up a bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye. I went a little bourbon crazy with all the fall releases last year and my wife kind of gave me "the look" about slowing down.

I passed up a bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye. I went a little bourbon crazy with all the fall releases last year and my wife kind of gave me "the look" about slowing down.

The problem with flying from the winterland of the Great Lakes to south Florida is that ones capacity to move bottles from point A to Point B is near zero.

Saturday, I left a few things behind

A smooth top WTKS from 3/04

An Old Forester handle (old style label W/UPC) no other date hints on it

2 cases of 09 Handy

2 cases of 09 Saz 18

Pampero Anniversario rum (25 bucks)

I am sure there will be more today, too.

A lot of us know all about "the look" Rich. :skep: A pretty common occurrence around my household. :rolleyes: What can I say? You're in good company. :lol: Joe

Ah yes..... Stage 1: The Look

Stage 1: The Look "huh?"

Stage 2: The little comments "where are you going to put those?"

Stage 3: More direct comments "you'll never drink all of that!" & "Dusty hunting... what?"

Stage 4: Concerned for your safety "what do you mean your going to go to a function with people you met on line!!???"

Stage 5: Confusion "There are others worst than you?"

Stage 6: Acceptance "Well, they are nice people and it is just a hobby"

Stage 7: Concede, resign, and surrender "OK, you can buy as much as you want. This stuff is great!!! And you should start planning for those two trips to Kentucky and the one down to Houston. Cannot wait to go meet everyone again"

I have not gotten through Stage 6 completely... but I am trying hard :D

Stage 3: More direct comments "you'll never drink all of that!" & "Dusty hunting... what?"

Stage 4: Concerned for your safety "what do you mean your going to go to a function with people you met on line!!???"

Stage 7: Concede, resign, and surrender "OK, you can buy as much as you want. This stuff is great!!! And you should start planning for those two trips to Kentucky and the one down to Houston. Cannot wait to go meet everyone again"

You're way ahead of me Em...I'm somewhere between stage 2 and 3...she doesn't know exactly how much I have so I haven't gotten the comment of you'll never drink all that. I have gotten the "spending more money on bourbon?" comment though! I think I've found my way around that though...the answer is to trade or buy from independent people so she doesn't see the Binny's receipt or debit on my account! :D I've now gone 8 days without buying anything from Binny's...my goal is to only buy on their quarterly sale day! Somehow I'm not sure I'll make it to the next one in May! :skep:

My wife doesn't mind so much as long as I can keep it in one place...which is hard. Hopefully we'll have a new house soon with a designated bunker room.

Yesterday I passed up a bottle of OWA.

I didn't pass on:

1 2009 WLW

2 PVW 15

3 ORVW 23

I didn't pass on:

3 ORVW 23

Good going Tommy on those 3 ORVW 23yo's, I only bought 2, so now the pressure is off me as the "crazy" one around here.:cool:

Emerald,

I went through stage 1-6 OCT 2008 - 1 JAN 2009.

Stage 1/2: Came back from Iraq to a bunch of Bourbon I bought online (OCT 08)

Stage 3: When I had to move from a two shelf closet to a bookshelf full of bourbon. (DEC 08)

Stage 4: Driving down to AZ on my way to TX (DEC 08)

Stage 5: When we walked into your bunker (DEC 31, 08)

Stage 6: Jan 1, 2009 as we are driving away from Vail AZ

Still waiting on Stage 7, however Jen is going to Houston with me so maybe I will complete stage 7 in May.

I am at stage 7. The wife and I just did our 2nd at home blind tasting of 4 different bourbons last night. We both got all correct. She is excited about the Houston trip. She knows there are people worse than me, but has only met Mozilla. She's thinks he's got a bourbon buying problem. Wait till she meets some of you. Although we cannot afford to buy anymore bourbon as of right now, she has not told me to stop. That was my decision.

Yesterday I purchased a lot of stuff, but I passed up a bunch too. Most notably JRPS, and the ORVW 23 set. Joe

If I lived here in southwest Florida (like Chicago) I would go broke.

Today I feft behind:

09 Stagg

JRPS batch 4

Pappy 23

Pappy 20

Lot B

so now the pressure is off me as the "crazy" one around here.:cool:

Oscar, I don't think I've quit risen to your level yet...you may still be the crazy one...but I'm getting close.

I passed up things that hurt to walk away from.

'09 Stagg

'09 Handy

VWFRR

Lot B

JPS 17

ORVW 10/107

I passed up things that hurt to walk away from.

'09 Stagg

'09 Handy

VWFRR

Lot B

JPS 17

ORVW 10/107

Passed on those, eh?

That explains your avatar.:grin:

Took the long way home from the Doctor's office and passed on these:

- PH Golden

- WR Seasoned Oak

- ORVW 10/107

I almost got the 10/107 but I had some in the bunker and I am going to try and pick up those next month.

• 2 weeks later...

I passed on a half a case of Binny's Weller 12's, one bottle of 09 WLW, and 2 Lot B's.:skep: WHAT WAS I THINKING? :shocked: Joe

I passed on a half a case of Binny's Weller 12's, one bottle of 09 WLW, and 2 Lot B's.:skep: WHAT WAS I THINKING? :shocked: Joe

Are you feeling OK Joe? Do I need to take you in for a psychiatric evaluation? I didn't think it was possible for you to NOT buy Binny's Weller 12. What happened?

I wonder the same....if I was within 200 miles of just 1 Binny's Weller 12, I'd probably make the drive. For 1/2 case....well, no telling what I would do!:shocked:

As for passes, it hurt bad but yesterday to walk away from 2 of 4RSB 09 Mariage (hope to return on next payday) as well as some VG Fox and PVW15.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I did get a couple of 07 WLW's and a Weller Centennial yesterday while out hunting with Vosgar, I/we passed up some stuff too. Here's the list of things that we passed up.

two bottles of Pappy 20

3 bottles of Lot B

one 98 WTKS pewter top

one BHC IW Harper gold vein bottle

Two older bottles of RHF, one had a BIB tag around the neck?

Two different older bottles of Hancock's President's Reserve

That's the list of the more memorable stuff. We also passed up some other decent current stuff too. I guess northern Illinois still holds a couple hidden gems here and there. Joe

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!