What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on Saz 18, Handy, and ER17 from the 2009 collection...at $69.99 they're priced to high IMO for what you get. I would rather get lot B, Pappy 15, or a couple bottles of WL Weller 12 for that price. :( The only two BTAC that I would consider at that price would be the GTS or WLW.

It's not what I passed up today but what passed me up today.

I stopped at my favorite liquor store to get a bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo

It sounds like maybe you've not sampled an 18 before? (remember, that's legal age:rolleyes: ). I think a jug of 12yr is one of the best values for $$ and the 18 is much tastier and the next best value out there.

Passed on Saz 18, Handy, and ER17 from the 2009 collection...at $69.99 they're priced to high IMO for what you get. I would rather get lot B, Pappy 15, or a couple bottles of WL Weller 12 for that price. :( The only two BTAC that I would consider at that price would be the GTS or WLW.

I certainly won't try to tell you what it's "worth" should be to you. But, if you like rye, then the Handy is an absolute STEAL at $69.99. What you get is an un-cut, unfiltered, Nuclear Powered, Hit me in the nose and make my eyes water, Titan of a rye. There's more lip smackin flavor in one bottle of Handy, than in 10 cases of many other ryes. To me, it may be the best product coming out of BT. It's an awesome pour.

I certainly won't try to tell you what it's "worth" should be to you. But, if you like rye, then the Handy is an absolute STEAL at $69.99. What you get is an un-cut, unfiltered, Nuclear Powered, Hit me in the nose and make my eyes water, Titan of a rye. There's more lip smackin flavor in one bottle of Handy, than in 10 cases of many other ryes. To me, it may be the best product coming out of BT. It's an awesome pour.

Well,

I just got back from browsing three local liquor stores. On one hand, I'm happy to see that nearby stores are stocking more and more limited-release bourbons, but some of the prices are staggering. I passed up two '09 Staggs at $72.99, an '08 Stagg at $65.99, a Van Winkle Rye for $79.99 (a bit less than twice what I paid a couple of years ago), and a PVW 20 at a very depressing $129.99.

For the past 5-6 years I've generally bought a few bottles from the BTAC (and enjoyed them), but I had surprisingly little trouble walking away from them today. I understand that Stagg, Weller, and Handy are barrel-proof and in a sense, provide more whiskey per dollar than a lower-proof expression (depending upon the level of dilution when drinking). That said, I'd rather have 3 bottles of Binny's Hand-Picked ETL, Weller 12, or Buffalo Trace. If I'm buying an annual release, my focus would be on hoarding a few extra bottle of '08 OFBB, which really hits my sweet spot.

For what it's worth, I ended up buying a Wild Turkey Rye for $22.00.

Passed on an '09 Handy @ $59.99 and a PVW 23 that was "only" $179.99. Thinking real hard about going back for the Pappy. I'd really like to find one more '09 WLW.

Jim

I passed on a JRPS today at $81. The price is good around here but I have three bunkered already and at the rate I drink rare whiskey, that's a good supply. I drink good, midshelf whiskey and keep the rare goods around for special days.

For the time being, I will probably focus on stocking up on some favorites like OGD114 and OWA.

Passed on an '09 Handy @ $59.99 and a PVW 23 that was "only" $179.99. Thinking real hard about going back for the Pappy. I'd really like to find one more '09 WLW.

Jim

That's good prices on both of those if you can afford them.

I passed on a JRPS today at $81. The price is good around here but I have three bunkered already and at the rate I drink rare whiskey, that's a good supply. I drink good, midshelf whiskey and keep the rare goods around for special days.

If you do it right, every day is a special day.

As Martha says, "It's all good."

God Bless Martha. :grin: Cheers. Joe

Passed on a Parkers Heritage at $80 (I love this stuff but I'm saving my $$$ for the 2009 BTAC's). Picked up 1 but left 2 WLW 2008 @55 on the shelf (waiting on the 09's for $52 somewhere else).... Left a Pappy 23 @ only $180. Left some Lot B's at $43 (great price but I have 3 bunkered and like higher proofs more....)

But I did get all the ORVW 10/107's they had, leaving a piddly 10/90 to the next guy @ $30

Passed up handles of Weller 12 at $51, and another bottle of ORVW 10/107 at $35.

Weller 12 @ $51? Geez, are prices really moving that fast? They were $30 here last year.

Weller 12 @ $51? Geez, are prices really moving that fast? They were $30 here last year.

$30 for Weller 12, 1.75L handles?

$30 for Weller 12, 1.75L handles?

Never seen the 1.75L, didn't even know they made them.... that's not a bad price then.

$30 for a handle of Weller 12, buy all that you can, right now.

Just to clarify... I said I saw Weller 12 @ $30 in response to your report of $51. I thought you were talking about the 750ml not 1.75L. I didn't know that Wellers came in handles. At $51 I'd buy that handle.

Yeah it's $31.99 here a handle. $51 is absurd. I could ship you some for less than that.

Where do I send my address to?

Where do I send my address to?

Seriously, you too? There is no way in Kentucky you are paying $51 a 1.75 right? I was just talking about a savings of maybe $5 if that dude is paying $51. You gotta be gettin it for less.

Can't you just back your truck up to the distillery and they pump some in plastic jugs for you. No, that's not how it works? That's the picture I paint of Kentucky in my mind. The rivers flow brown (with bourbon) and you can just stick your face in and get your fill.

Hidden
Yesterday while trolling for bourbon, I passed on a RHF with the cheesy plastic medallion, a Hancock Reserve in a round "wooden" holder that closed, and a Distillers Masterpiece for $250.00. I just didn't want to spend that kind of money for the Masterpiece, I have one RHF with a cheese plastic medallion and Hancock Reserve is not really worth $55, even though the wooden case was rather nice.

Will

Will,

I was purusing some old threads and ran across a couple of yours I had missed.

1) yes, I take full advantage of the purse/shoe for bourbon exchange:grin:

2) Whatever happened to those old RHF and Hancock bottles you passed up back in May?

3) We need to get together for another drink sometime soon.

Seriously, you too? There is no way in Kentucky you are paying $51 a 1.75 right? I was just talking about a savings of maybe $5 if that dude is paying $51. You gotta be gettin it for less.

Can't you just back your truck up to the distillery and they pump some in plastic jugs for you. No, that's not how it works? That's the picture I paint of Kentucky in my mind. The rivers flow brown (with bourbon) and you can just stick your face in and get your fill.

That's always been the way I envisioned Kentucky :lol:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!